Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE Hard Drive

Options
  • 17-09-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can source a new 40/80gb IDE 2.5" HDD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Firblog wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can source a new 40/80gb IDE 2.5" HDD?

No idea if these are new or how reliable seller is.

http://www.laptopmarket.ie/80gb-2-5-ide-ata-laptop-notebook-hard-drive-hdd-warranty-3-months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Ide is an obsolete standard ,i dont think any company makes New ide drives .
    You might get one that has never been used or is in perfect condition.
    All laptops use sata or ssd drives .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

80GB HDD IDE 2.5" HDD SATA 80GB 5400RPM HD xbox 360 Notebook Hard Disk Drive interno Disco Duro Hot Selling
    http://s.aliexpress.com/eUfaENZR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Thanks for the posts folks, chkdsk found lot of errors on old drive, seems to be running well since, but would be no harm to have a spare lying about just incase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If it's that bad, it might be worth cloning it or just backing it up in case the worst happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Copy important data off the drive, that laptop must be at least 10 years old.
    If its using an ide drive.
    You can buy a laptop on adverts.ie cpu 2.oghz dual core ,4gig ram,15 inch widescreen 300gig sata drive ,dvdrw drive.
    150 euro.
    I would not bother using a laptop thats 10 years old.
    That drive could stop working at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I have a spare one, where are you located?

Not a laptop, it's in control console for John Deere tree harvester machine - thing is running 7 days, so only take it off for a day when really necessary, like when crashing to get it back up & when I have a one to replace it, which is why I don't want to put a 2nd hand one in.

Want to replace with new and get another 10 years, though I haven't heard a word back from owner since, so must be holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you hit a brick wall, PM me - got a spare one here.

• Advertisement

Looking for 3 X 80GB 3.5" HDD's now :eek:,

HDD failed in custom built PC, luckily they had clone spare, but realised that they have nothing for 3 other sites with same units in situ.

Again would like to get brand new units, if anyone knows anywhere still selling such drives...

Due to the age of the drives at this stage, it might be an idea to look at a CompactFlash to IDE adapter and use that instead? There are no mainstream IDE disks in production anymore. WD were the last manufacturer of 3.5" IDE disks and Samsung wound down their 2.5" IDE operations around 2012 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Just a thought - why not get a SATA HDD and use an IDE-SATA adapter. Then you can get new disks. Maybe even plump for an SSD for no moving parts. :p

Unless there is not enough physical space in the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Get a 2.5" 44 Pin IDE to SATA Hard Drive Adapter. Could probably use a SSD then. Which will probably be more reliable than a hard drive.

If you're using an IDE-SATA adapter, one thing to remember is the 128GB/137GB barrier. Most IDE systems will truncate the disk to 128/137 due to it being the limit of 28-bit LBA. In this case, keeping the system drive within the 128GB boundary is recommended. With XP SP1 or later it's OK to use space beyond the barrier as a secondary data partition after the OS has loaded, because the disk drivers implement 48-bit LBA.

Good ideas there with adapter and SSD, might give that a lash when the time comes.

beauf wrote: »
    Get a 2.5" 44 Pin IDE to SATA Hard Drive Adapter. Could probably use a SSD then. Which will probably be more reliable than a hard drive.

Present IDE drives have been on the go since 2001 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm not sure if they're still on the go, but up to 2014 I know there was a couple of IBM AS/400s which had been running happily since approx 1998 and of the 5 IDE disks between them, only 2 had been replaced.

They were in a non Air Conditioned room until about 2003, so they were in a hot little room for 5 years.

There was a newer AS/400 (iSeries) got in 2001, which was still going strong in 2014 and over the years only 1 of it's 4 IDE's died.

So yeah .. they were a pretty resilient disk ... and them AS/400s were a supremely robust system (I'm a bit of a fanboy :o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yeah but the smart thing to do is have a replacement tested and ready to go if you need it. Not when people are screaming in your ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

+1 on ^^^^ that. Like when I first walked into a school that I was asked to take a look at. "What do you mean that you don't have hard drives and RAM for a load of old out of date XP machines?" :D

• Advertisement

Well 2 disks cloned; one with 80GB WD IDE Hard Drive, the other with 120GB SSD - turns out one of the machines had HDD replaced with 2.5" Sata some years ago.

Advertisement