Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hansfield Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Eire_2016

Its really quite odd how so many new houses with those heat pumps have traditional vent holes in the walls of each room.
    Basically means the houses aren't then air tight at all, I presume its some cost saving measure instead of installing a full HRV system?

Is there not meant to be vent holes in every room no? Air has to come in from somewhere?! I don't fancy an "air tight" room personally..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Eire_2016 wrote: »
    Is there not meant to be vent holes in every room no? Air has to come in from somewhere?! I don't fancy an "air tight" room personally..

There are a few different ventilation styles, one method is to use an integrated MHRV system this is really the best option, another is to use a so called on-demand ventilation system which can control the ventilation to the room. The old hole in the wall 'system' is a bit of a throwback to the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Its really quite odd how so many new houses with those heat pumps have traditional vent holes in the walls of each room.
    Basically means the houses aren't then air tight at all, I presume its some cost saving measure instead of installing a full HRV system?

Some of the rooms did have extractor ceiling vents such as the bathrooms and utility room the estate agents usually can't provide very much technical information which is a bit of a shame really because some of the developers are building to a higher technical level and are failing to market this.
    Someone else on boards mentioned that the BER test is done with external vents blocked, which I was surprised to hear as it seems to make a mockery of the test but that appears to be how it's done. What the houses in HW have is air extraction from the kitchen/utility and bathrooms but the air comes in via old school wall vents. A MVHR system is more expensive and that's why you don't see it in the houses, they aren't expensive enough (well before the recent price rises).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AGUSIA1

the show houses in barnwell use the heat recovery system, a much more expensive system.
    They block the vents during the test because these vents are intentional, where as the test is to find leaks that are not intentional in the envelope of the building.

AGUSIA1 wrote: »
    the show houses in barnwell use the heat recovery system, a much more expensive system.
    They block the vents during the test because these vents are intentional, where as the test is to find leaks that are not intentional in the envelope of the building.
    Interesting, I don't know why Barnwell aren't advertising that fact a bit better, it's an attractive feature imo and I didn't realize they had that. It just looked like the same extractor fan set up that HW has, in fact the brochure I have makes it sound the same. I would have preferred the features of Barnwell with the position and layout of HW. I prefer the straight forward everything-is-a-square approach that HW have take for most of their rooms. It's more flexible when it comes to placing stuff in the rooms. If they weren't allowed block up vents then houses with vents would struggle to attain an A3 rating, and that would force developers to move to using MVHR systems.

• Advertisement

think thats them all right offercroc,
    Wireless alarm it is so ):
    I agree larger gardens are useless unless they have potential for an extension.
    Agent said contracts would be out next week.
    Went up to barnwell show houses today too but i am happy with our decision.
    Looking forward to seeing how the heat pumps work, getting mixed reports about them but thats fairly common.
    We've been told a few weeks in a row that contracts would be out "this week". To be honest I'm OK with some delays, I think I'd prefer to get the keys in early January/very late December. I figure it will be a nightmare to get floors and blinds fitted in the run up to Christmas. Also the sales after Christmas could throw up some bargains...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublindublin1

What do you guys think about overall quality of the home. We couldn't find website for the builder "Alanna Homes", sounds like fairly new builder. 10% deposit within 21 days, doesn't sound like a fair deal. any one booked the house there, how was the deposit before..

For the price the quality seems fine (based on the show houses and what I've seen of the houses under construction). We put down our booking deposit over a month ago and still haven't paid the remainder of the 10%, things more a lot slower than the deadlines quite frequently when buying a house. I think some of the builders used to work for companies owned by Seamus Ross and started work on this after those companies went under.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hw1234

We've been told a few weeks in a row that contracts would be out "this week". To be honest I'm OK with some delays, I think I'd prefer to get the keys in early January/very late December. I figure it will be a nightmare to get floors and blinds fitted in the run up to Christmas. Also the sales after Christmas could throw up some bargains...

Our solicitor contacted us today to say contracts arrived today so hopefully ball starts rolling from here.

Hey guys, do any of you no who is bonding these houses with structural guarantee.??

My bank is looking for HB47 form or premier guarantee.

Usually the builder advertises homebond or something like that but not here.

Greatful for bit of help on this one.

• Advertisement

I was told Homebond, HB47.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublindublin1

- Are you guys going to pay 10% while signing up contract, is it must? loads of money ..! what about people who are looking for Help to buy scheme, cant they book a house now??

- The Builder is registered 3 months before, Are they good builder? cant find any information about builder..!

- Also when i checked with them, they told it comes with wireless house alarm. so no wiring for home alarm..

when you provided your solicitor details to them??

- Planning to give in next two days..! how long will it take to receive the contracts in hand.

- Are you guys going to pay 10% while signing up contract, is it must?

The details provided by the auctioneer is quite clear I thought, €5k booking deposit to go sale agreed with 10% to be paid when contracts are signed within 22 days of issue. Proof of finance also needed to avoid tyre kickers...

10% to be paid when contracts are signed within 22 days of issue.

That should read 21 days not 22...

The details of the help to buy scheme still haven't been fine tuned or voted into law, think the finance bill is this week if not mistaking.
    Apparently you won't be able to apply until january 1st

I was told Homebond, HB47.

Got contracts today. The latent defects insurer is a company called global home warranties not homebond. I'm sure it's the same thing. Just hope it's ok with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

Got contracts today. The latent defects insurer is a company called global home warranties not homebond. I'm sure it's the same thing. Just hope it's ok with the bank.

I know that Ulster Bank accept Global Home Warranties. Presume the other banks do also.

Is there a proposed close date on the contract? How long will there be for the snagging?

Is there a proposed close date on the contract? How long will there be for the snagging?

No there is not Eire.

But you could get solicitor to ask for you.

When are you due to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xfdublin2016

got the digital copy of the contract today from my solicitor. I found the details of the house in the contract is very unclear: 1) no specific completion date; 2) specification of the house is not clear enough, e.g., no height, width of the house, no size of the garden, no boundaries definition of the property, no size/position of the wardrobe; 3) ownership type is missing, is the property freeland? 3) lots of vague words in the contract, e.g., the materials if not described, shall be of reasonable quality. what does "reasonable quality" mean? This is the contract and has legal power, I prefer to define everything clear. Does anyone have the same feeling as me? Or this is the standard contract for new house in Ireland? Normally, will my solicitor help me to raise questions about any unfair terms in the contract (if any)? Happy to hear some opinions. Thanks!

• Advertisement

got the digital copy of the contract today from my solicitor. I found the details of the house in the contract is very unclear: 1) no specific completion date; 2) specification of the house is not clear enough, e.g., no height, width of the house, no size of the garden, no boundaries definition of the property, no size/position of the wardrobe; 3) ownership type is missing, is the property freeland? 3) lots of vague words in the contract, e.g., the materials if not described, shall be of reasonable quality. what does "reasonable quality" mean? This is the contract and has legal power, I prefer to define everything clear. Does anyone have the same feeling as me? Or this is the standard contract for new house in Ireland? Normally, will my solicitor help me to raise questions about any unfair terms in the contract (if any)? Happy to hear some opinions. Thanks!

I do not know - you would be best advised to speak with your solicitor..

I agree it is quite vague, especially the within 18 months completion date.
    As this is our first house i have no idea what a contract should look like,
    Best ask the solicitor

I agree it is quite vague, especially the within 18 months completion date.
    As this is our first house i have no idea what a contract should look like,
    Best ask the solicitor

Is your house built though?

Hmm, I asked SF this and they told me HB47, they didn't sound too sure so maybe they were winging it.

I don't think builders like putting in completion dates to contracts because they could be delayed by forces outside their control. They don't want to leave themselves open to legal action, I wouldn't worry I think is fairly standard. Until you close they don't get a cent so it's not in their interest to delay completion.

I called my solicitor today, I told him there's no detail specification about the house in the contract (e.g., the size/boundary of the land, the size/height/width of the house/garden), he suggested me to find an expert/architect to check this before I sign the contract. I'm confused now, I thought that's called snagging and I should do it before the closing date. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I called my solicitor today, I told him there's no detail specification about the house in the contract (e.g., the size/boundary of the land, the size/height/width of the house/garden), he suggested me to find an expert/architect to check this before I sign the contract. I'm confused now, I thought that's called snagging and I should do it before the closing date. Any suggestions?

Snagging is usually performed by an experienced individual such as qualified Builder, Architect, or Engineer, independently employed by you. It is entirely up to you to select the best possible person for the job and throughly brief them on what you want.
    The individual who undertakes this task will draw up an intial list of items that are not finished to an acceptable standard and should undertake at least one or more further checks to make sure that all work has been carried or to a standard that is acceptable to you!
    Only when all this work is completed should you instruct your solicitor to close contracts.

Never feel pressurised by your solicitor or the builders to complete snagging on their terms and never accept that snagging work will be completed post signing of contracts. Remember the solicitor and the builder will be long gone when you are living there in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You don't snag before contract, you snag before completing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Here is a very useful step by step guide to the various stages of purchasing a new home.
    http://www.buyingahouse.ie/first-time-faq.html
    What we all refer to as "Snagging" is mentioned in no.12.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the replies. I ask my solicitor again, it's not snagging, it is "[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Having an Architect or Structural Engineer inspect the property[/font]" before signing the contract. Does anyone know what is it? Where can I find an architect or a structural engineer? Right now, will the developer allow me to go to the site to check the house and have it inspected?

Advertisement