Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caffe Nero

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where is Café Nero supposed to be opening?

Seems to be nothing stirring with Insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

road_high wrote: »
    Where is Café Nero supposed to be opening?

Seems to be nothing stirring with Insomnia.

Re Insomnia I think the appeal with Bord Pleanala is due to be decided by 22nd February so looks like another few weeks hold up with that one!

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    Re Insomnia I think the appeal with Bord Pleanala is due to be decided by 22nd February so looks like another few weeks hold up with that one!

This city is impossible sometimes. A coffee shop has to go to ABP, does this happen elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Insomnia got the go ahead last week from Bord Pleanal to resume work on it's outlet. The objection was from Helen Clarke who said it would have an impact on other cafe businesses in the town. I wish the planning board did not entertain at taxpayers expense, objections from other businesses who fear competition. Competition is healthy for a town and raises the benchmark of quality, value and service as all providers need to keep on their toes.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/247/R247398.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

ongarboy wrote: »
    Insomnia got the go ahead last week from Bord Pleanal to resume work on it's outlet. The objection was from Helen Clarke who said it would have an impact on other cafe businesses in the town. I wish the planning board did not entertain at taxpayers expense, objections from other businesses who fear competition. Competition is healthy for a town and raises the benchmark of quality, value and service as all providers need to keep on their toes.

Along with expense to the taxpayer, it's costing insomnia too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

ongarboy wrote: »

Thanks, fully agree, why we entertain this rubbish is beyond me , holding up new jobs and activity for the town. This is nothing but another example of the preservation of self interest, such appeals should be be fast tracked for scrapping. We had the other incident where mcdonagh junction objected to the cinema in the mart site and held it up for six months - do they really sell that much popcorn in mcdonagh junction!

Thanks, fully agree, why we entertain this rubbish is beyond me , holding up new jobs and activity for the town. This is nothing but another example of the preservation of self interest, such appeals should be be fast tracked for scrapping. We had the other incident where mcdonagh junction objected to the cinema in the mart site and held it up for six months - do they really sell that much popcorn in mcdonagh junction!

Couldn't agree more. This non-sense was nothing more than a disgraceful attempt at protectionism. All it is is a bloody coffee shop. Now if you can't open one of those without a competitor running off to ABP then it's a sad day for our city. I've boycotted her overpriced café since this.

How will our city ever make progress with this going on? They seem to welcome the likes of these with open arms in Carlow and Waterford and they seem to be racing ahead of Kilkenny again in retail offerings. Shopped a bit in both lately and was very impressed with the prices and choices (that are not here, sadly). Not to mention Dublin and Kildare/Newbridge not too much further away.
    RLauren shirt I was looking at in Kilkenny (€99) vs 2 for €90 in KE Village. Guess where I bought it...;)

"I note that planning policy including the retail planning guidelines 20121 provides that the planning system should not be used to inhibit competition, preserve existing commercial interests or prevent innovation."

Great to see the Planner come to the exact same conclusion as the rest of us. Shame though taxpayers money had to be wasted in the process of stating the bleedin obvious. They should slap on hefty costs/fees to deter such rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Insomnia opened today

Autosport wrote: »
    Insomnia opened today

That was quick in the end. Guess they had it all ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I think what Kilkenny needs are more coffee shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

gramar wrote: »
    There's not enough Dunnes stores either.

gramar wrote: »

It needs as many as the market dictates. And that's a lot because it's a strong tourist town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

catbear wrote: »
    There's not enough Dunnes stores either.
    I hope I hear Sarcasm...:D

I see Cafe Nero are looking for staff in Kilkenny now again. I wonder where they are opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

They are opening up beside the town hall. Nearly ready for opening when I passed last night.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Builders cleaning out this morning, it'll be open within a day or two I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Due to open tomorrow morning I believe.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Opened just before lunch, and free coffee all day!

Advertisement