Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton Sizes

Options
  • 17-09-2016 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Now I give out about these thread normally but this one pissed me off a bit.

In Tesco:

Tropicana - reduced 2 litre (IIRC) down to €4 okay, happy days.
    Tropicana BIG PACK, BIG SALE, BUY BUY BUY! No idea what size but €2.50 a litre (in the small print).

Come on if you're gonna promote something let's do without taking advantage of the 'morons in a hurry' please. I'm all to frequently that moron.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's pretty standard AFAIK. For example my soft drink of choice is Pepsi Max, and I'd often find that it's cheaper to buy 2 individual 2 litre bottles, as opposed to the ones that come in the twin 'value' pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Toots wrote: »
    That's pretty standard AFAIK. For example my soft drink of choice is Pepsi Max, and I'd often find that it's cheaper to buy 2 individual 2 litre bottles, as opposed to the ones that come in the twin 'value' pack.

Yep, that's pretty much standard for loads of stuff. e.g. toilet roll is nearly always cheaper to buy multiple 4x than a 9x or 16x, lots of soft drinks have a better deal on 2x1.75 individually than in a multipack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MOH wrote: »
    Yep, that's pretty much standard for loads of stuff. e.g. toilet roll is nearly always cheaper to buy multiple 4x than a 9x or 16x, lots of soft drinks have a better deal on 2x1.75 individually than in a multipack.

Some products are also cheaper to buy in several smaller packs than one larger pack. Always check the price per litre/kg/item when purchasing as the cheapest option isn't always obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Del2005 wrote: »
    Always check the price per litre/kg/item
    tescos unit pricing is frequently wrong and I heard they do not honour it as any sort of pricing mistake.

I have to thank all the "morons in a hurry" they allow shops to give the genuine deals I pick up.

I saw the other day that supervalu have copied tesco and have 1kg of "standard own brand" caster sugar at 1.09 while both tesco & supervalues "cheapo" brand of granulated is 1.19. I was told before this was to compare with lidl and aldi. I think in lidl I also saw the same sort of pricing, caster cheaper than granulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Ironically, the suppliers (distributors, vendors, what have you) frequently price the different sizes to have different costs per unit measure, or they'll have a special on one size and not the other. Then the retailer (where you shop) automatically applies a standard markup when they price the items, resulting in weird pricing. I've frequently seen a large container of product priced lower than a smaller size. Sometimes it's due to different receiving dates, so that a product with a long shelf life but slow turnover might have been one price last summer when it was last ordered, and a very different price two months ago when a different size was ordered. Retailers rarely think, "what we have on the shelf is price X and this price Y for the new items looks really silly next to it". They might get advance notice of a distributor special, though, and plan a sale around it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement