Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aileen Reid retiring ? ? ?

Options
  • 17-09-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

With Aileen not racing the grand final today. it got me wondering that I suspect she might retire. it shows that Ireland will be challenged to find a replacement for the foreceable future. I don't think we have a female replacement at WTS standard. In 2016 the only female that raced was Suzzane Murphy at European cup level. A late starter and has had some incredible results for such a short time in the sport. Apart from SM it's impossible to see any other female at present that will make that level going forward. Our national champion at Olympic Distance was bunch fodder at the British Nationals and their is a huge gap to bridge. I think CMH is studying medicine therefore you would suspect that might be a challenge for her over the next few years. I dont think we had a junior female race in the last few years at European level. There has being nobody young standing out at junior level. Maybe we need to start looking for a few females under the granny rule ? What do people think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

P2C wrote: »
    With Aileen not racing the grand final today. it got me wondering that I suspect she might retire. it shows that Ireland will be challenged to find a replacement for the foreceable future. I don't think we have a female replacement at WTS standard. In 2016 the only female that raced was Suzzane Murphy at European cup level. A late starter and has had some incredible results for such a short time in the sport. Apart from SM it's impossible to see any other female at present that will make that level going forward. Our national champion at Olympic Distance was bunch fodder at the British Nationals and their is a huge gap to bridge. I think CMH is studying medicine therefore you would suspect that might be a challenge for her over the next few years. I dont think we had a junior female race in the last few years at European level. There has being nobody young standing out at junior level. Maybe we need to start looking for a few females under the granny rule ? What do people think ?

What are your thoughts on some of the strong athletes like Caroline Hayes or similar. I think Caroline is studying in college not sure how much longer she has left of her course?

There were plenty of strong young athletes at port beach today. Niamh Corrigan for one. Just turned 18 and finished 7th in Cat 1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Emma Sharkey has raced at European level, right?
    Aileen has been sick this year and has missed a lot of training, so perhaps just ending a bad season early to get a grip on next year.
    Carolyn is late 20's now and studying medicine - I'm not sure how much concentration she'll be giving triathlon if her priority is her medical career?
    Aileen is only 34, would suspect she has a couple more years left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

She tweeted the other day she's having an issue with her back. I can't see her retiring anytime soon as she seems to be finding some form this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see that Aileen tweeted today that she's moving to Oz. House rented out and a rental sorted in Oz. I assume that means she's going to be working with a coach over there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

see she also mentioned she is shipping her bike rather than paying the airline fees, no bike for 3 months or something like that, probably off season for her but thats a long time to be without a bike for a pro i would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Remember reading this before the Olympics:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/our-aileen-is-going-for-gold-coast-after-games-34918131.html

Commonwealth Games could be her swan song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

mossym wrote: »
    see she also mentioned she is shipping her bike rather than paying the airline fees, no bike for 3 months or something like that, probably off season for her but thats a long time to be without a bike for a pro i would have thought

Accordng to her twitter feed it is only 10 days she will be without the bike

https://twitter.com/aileenmorr/status/780738120744574976

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

resurrecting an old thread, but i see aileen has announced she has retired due to injury

2 olympics, some great world series performances, sad way to go out, she mentioned coaching in the gold coast where she now lives so i hope it works out for her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Sad to see her go she's a great character and wish her every success.

https://twitter.com/aileenmorr/status/889768164728254464

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Was just about to come on and post the same. Best of luck in retirement. I hope she can pass on some of the skill and knowledge she has to the next generation. Sad to see an Athelstan retire due to injury when mentally they have much more to give but she can be proud of the achievements she has

• Advertisement
Advertisement