Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on doggy cuts please

• 17-09-2016 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my little terrier escaped the house and ran straight in front of a car this morning!
    I think I lost many, many years of my life and so did the poor man driving.
    Little doggy ran and hid in the corner of our fence and 3 cars stopped to help him as did a passer by which was lovely, such nice people!!

I had him into the vets within 10 mins, hes fine just cuts and bruises thank god and he has painkillers and antibiotic cream. He needs to take it easy for a few days and walk on a lead.

Hes constantly licking at it, is that normal enough or should I put a cone on him perhaps?

Any advice gratefully received I'm so shocked and was in tears! He's nearly 8 and all he wants to do is sit on my knee and snooze this afternoon which is very unlike him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Hi all, my little terrier escaped the house and ran straight in front of a car this morning!
    I think I lost many, many years of my life and so did the poor man driving.
    Little doggy ran and hid in the corner of our fence and 3 cars stopped to help him as did a passer by which was lovely, such nice people!!

I had him into the vets within 10 mins, hes fine just cuts and bruises thank god and he has painkillers and antibiotic cream. He needs to take it easy for a few days and walk on a lead.

Hes constantly licking at it, is that normal enough or should I put a cone on him perhaps?

Any advice gratefully received I'm so shocked and was in tears! He's nearly 8 and all he wants to do is sit on my knee and snooze this afternoon which is very unlike him.

Aww poor mite. How did he get out. Be careful as I would hate to think what possibly could have happened. Yeah the cone is probably best maybe leAve for tonight as he is probably in shock. Manuka honey on wound excellent to help it heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I'll try the honey, thanks.

No one is quite sure how he got past us all but the passer by said he saw a cat and darted across the road.
    He will be behind locked doors before another one is opened from now on!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That was a close call op! Lesson learned, but I know what a horrible, gut-wrenching feeling it is to see your dog running himself into terrible danger :(
    I know people rave about manuka... Though I'm not sure there's much actual research-led support for it being fantastically better than any other honey, except in some very specific circumstances.
    I'm more than a bit hesitant to put it on open cuts that the dog is licking, because it promotes more licking. Also, stuff sticks to it, and can make a bigger mess of the wounds. When used post-surgery, it's usually under dressings so that the above can't happen.
    Personally, I'd be bathing those wounds with warm, salted water. I'd also allow the dog to do some amount of licking, because it's their way of dealing with injury and has worked for them for millennia! As long as he's not making the wounds worse, leave him be.
    If he won't leave himself alone and is causing damage, despite having painkillers, then no harm to dig out a buster collar, or better still, an inflatable collar, though the latter doesn't stop them accessing their feet and lower limbs, and tail.

DBB wrote: »
    If he won't leave himself alone and is causing damage, despite having painkillers, then no harm to dig out a buster collar, or better still, an inflatable collar, though the latter doesn't stop them accessing their feet and lower limbs, and tail.

Thanks DBB.
    The worst scrapes are on his back knees (elbows?) so I think it would have to be a cone to stop him getting around it.
    I might put it on him tomorrow so he can't lick off his antibiotic cream and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I must admit, I was a sceptic re manuka honey, until I tried it on a hot spot on one of our cats. She had been on sterioid gel and the manuka cleared the wound within a couple of days. I've used it on myself with excellent results too (cat scratches)

Having said that, the cat had no interest in the honey, and would think a pup would be, so may not be an idea unless they have the collar.

So scarey. I remember my two pups did exactly the same when we were out in the front garden and they just busted through the front gate to get to a cat across the road. Lucky for me no cars coming, but it only takes the once..

Glad you're pup is ok. Hope he recovers well.

• Advertisement

Purely as a matter of interest Kathleen... Have you ever tried a decent local honey for the same purposes?
    As far as I'm aware, and I'm completely open to correction, if manuka honey is to have any more of an impact than decent local honey, it has to be medical grade, which is seriously expensive stuff.
    I know vets who just use normal honey rather than manuka, they're quite happy with it!

Purely as a matter of interest Kathleen... Have you ever tried a decent local honey for the same purposes?
    As far as I'm aware, and I'm completely open to correction, if manuka honey is to have any more of an impact than decent local honey, it has to be medical grade, which is seriously expensive stuff.
    I know vets who just use normal honey rather than manuka, they're quite happy with it!

It has a higher level of enzymes manuka honey. Local honey I think is better for allergies but manuka is better for healing. You get what yoy pay for. It's brilliant my dog had an open wound in her shin no skin to stitch so it was an open wound basically the difference manuka honey made was mind blowing worked in a few nights. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My own vets have changed from manuka to local normal honey as well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Medical honey has the advantage of being sterile, ordinary honey (even manuka) can be contaminated with spores which will do no harm when eaten but can be dangerous for small infants or for open wounds.
    http://www.woundsresearch.com/content/a-comparison-between-medical-grade-honey-and-table-honeys-relation-antimicrobial-efficacy

" This study demonstrates the relatively low antibacterial activity of honeys available in British supermarkets and the presence of potentially pathogenic organisms in such honeys"

A lot of the manuka honey sold is fake. I would also be concerned about the licking problem. I'm not against honey as a wound dressing- just, well, cautious. You can get small tubes of medical grade honey in some pharmacies and shops.

I've trued numerous cheap expensive you name it I've given it a lash. For me personally manuka was the best. That's in what I've experienced.

• Advertisement

sadie1502 wrote: »
    It has a higher level of enzymes manuka honey. Local honey I think is better for allergies but manuka is better for healing. You get what yoy pay for. It's brilliant my dog had an open wound in her shin no skin to stitch so it was an open wound basically the difference manuka honey made was mind blowing worked in a few nights. Amazing stuff.

The research I've found where manuka and other honeys were compared suggests that all honeys will work as anti-bacterial wound dressing, but medical-grade manuka will do so at lower concentrations.
    I'm just interested to know if anyone has anecdotally compared normal, shop-bought manuka to honey bought from a local beekeeper... I am categorically NOT talking about shop-bought, big-brand, mass-produced honey, because... Well... That just ain't honey!
    The research I've read has suggested that the active anti-bacterial ingredients in honeys is hydrogen peroxide, and unidentified substances derived from flowers (pollen/or nectar, I assume)... In other words, it's not really understood what it is about honey, including manuka, that works! But there's nothing hugely different between the two.

The research I've found where manuka and other honeys were compared suggests that all honeys will work as anti-bacterial wound dressing, but medical-grade manuka will do so at lower concentrations.
    I'm just interested to know if anyone has anecdotally compared normal, shop-bought manuka to honey bought from a local beekeeper... I am categorically NOT talking about shop-bought, big-brand, mass-produced honey, because... Well... That just ain't honey!
    The research I've read has suggested that the active anti-bacterial ingredients in honeys is hydrogen peroxide, and unidentified substances derived from flowers (pollen/or nectar, I assume)... In other words, it's not really understood what it is about honey, including manuka, that works! But there's nothing hugely different between the two.

I can only advise on my own experience which I already stated and I found manuka the best for the trauma my dog experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've only tried the Manuka - I'll to go and check which type it was.

To be honest, I'm not aware of anyone round here that does local honey - we're up high and it's so wet and grey here that I'm not aware of any hives anywhere near. (My Dad looked into it as we'd have loved to have had had hives, but were advised against it because of location)

I'll have to google - I did see there is a Donegal bee group so there must be some local honey.

Having said that, I personally don't like honey at all, so it's not something we would usually have in the house.

I've put a cone on him today as he was constantly licking at the scrapes and has pulled off the scabs.
    Little monster is sulking and keeps walking round the house staring at us and growling....I presume he's demanding it be removed right now!!

Advertisement