Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obd reader

• 17-09-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought an obd reader for our Hyundai Tucson. When I search for the car info it doesn't give me the serial number of the car and it says that its a Renault dacia....

I've tried with my brothers car and all is correct so its not the obd reader that is faulty.

I'm getting worried here, why would it say that our Tucson is a dacia? :/

Many thanks,

Seb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What kind of scan tool did you get....I have one of the cheap Bluetooth ones and it gives odd info sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seb79

I got it on amazon for about 20 euros so not the best I guess but still strange that it gives me these details when it works perfectly on another car
    :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which exact reader is it?
    Year of car you're reading?

Hi,

The reader is: ieGeek® Bluetooth OBD-II Scanner Mini Wireless OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool Adapter Reader Scan Code Tester for Android Devices (Bluetooth OBD-II) . Here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Scanner-Wireless-Diagnostic/dp/B01I4H0I1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474185803&sr=8-1&keywords=Iegeek+bluetooth+obd

The car is from 2008.

If the reader is not at fault, what could this mean? That I have a Dacia engine covered by Tucson clothes? I don't know anything about cars really...Only got the reader to clear the engine light that keeps coming on with code P2002 (which is suppose to clear by itself from what I read but this doesn't happen...)

Many thanks,

Seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doubt its the reader itself at fault more likely the software used to interpret the data the reader is reading is incomplete.

The reader isn't reading an actual word that says the engine is made by Dacia its reading a code which is then looked up in a database in the software you are using and then giving you the result from the database.

• Advertisement

Ok so if I understand correctly, I should try different application and see what happens. Just downloaded another 3 application I'll check that later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Seb79 wrote: »
    Ok so if I understand correctly, I should try different application and see what happens. Just downloaded another 3 application I'll check that later on

Exactly what I'd do. It may be that some of the data you want to read is not available with the free software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Try Torque OBD and see if that gives you correct readings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

There are many different obd protocols for different manufacturers, the cheaper readers tend to work with some cars and not with others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

rex-x wrote: »
    There are many different obd protocols for different manufacturers, the cheaper readers tend to work with some cars and not with others

Yeah, even the mid range ones that might do a great job with german cars seem to do a very bare minimum with Japanese cars. Maybe the Koreans are the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement