Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling with a toddler and an infant

• 17-09-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

We need to go to Dublin next month, we have 2 kids. One is 2.5 years, the other is just 4 weeks now.

Usually when we drive cork city both kids are on the back seats in their car seats. But driving to Dublin from cork takes its time - we were considering putting our 2.5 year old on the front passenger seat, so mom can sit in the back with the infant.

Question: is it ok/allowed to put a toddler in the front seat? Does the car seat have to be mounted front facing out back facing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

murfilein wrote: »
    We need to go to Dublin next month, we have 2 kids. One is 2.5 years, the other is just 4 weeks now.

Usually when we drive cork city both kids are on the back seats in their car seats. But driving to Dublin from cork takes its time - we were considering putting our 2.5 year old on the front passenger seat, so mom can sit in the back with the infant.

Question: is it ok/allowed to put a toddler in the front seat? Does the car seat have to be mounted front facing out back facing?

I often drove Dublin to Sligo (3 hours so similar as cork to Dublin) when my youngest was only a few weeks old and my older was only 15 months. I would leave both in the back. Hopefully the baby will sleep the way anyway. Is there a reason you don't want them in the the back together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's perfectly legal to have a child in the front seat, so long as they are using an appropriate restraint. If you are using a forward facing car seat, keep your airbag on, but put the front seat back as far as possible. If you are using a rear facing seat, leave the airbag off. It's very dangerous to use a rear facing seat where there's an active airbag. If you have a group one rear facing seat, make sure it doesn't restrict your view in the wing mirror.

All that said, Dublin to cork isn't a particularly long journey, they'll probably both be grand in the back. Try to travel at nap time, and you should have great peace!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We do the drive often and have done since #1 was a week old.
    It takes about 2 hours,I have never sat in the back with them as babies they usually just doze.
    They get used to it esp if they know no different and you do not make a fuss.

Advertisement