Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding as an LC subject

Options
  • 17-09-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about how things are now and why they won't allow coding or computer science to be thought is the issue, this idea of a second subject for example, my wife teaches Art, just one Subject??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

^ yea actually DCG, hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

The idea of sending teachers off to be unskilled so that can teach coding is a laudable one. I'd love to see it as a LC subject. Lots of our students strive to study accounting, law, and finance. It leads to a very good and well paid career. Yet law is not taught at second level. If there are issues relating to how difficult it is for posters to hire and retain coders then perhaps they should inward as well as looking at second level schools. If teachers should be sent off to up skill then why can't your employees? And if they are leaving, then could they be incentivised to stay?

As I said, I want to see coding I schools. But part of me listens to calls from industry and IBEC about more coders and hears them saying to themselves " if they are surplus programmes, I can offer them less than I could if there was a shortage".

You know, kinda like what did they did to new entrants into teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Villain wrote: »
    Thinking about how things are now and why they won't allow coding or computer science to be thought is the issue, this idea of a second subject for example, my wife teaches Art, just one Subject??

Who won't allow coding?? This is rubbish. There is no subject. If the NCCA publish a syllabus there will be a subject. The ASTI or TUI aren't lying on the tracks to prevent coding, hundreds of teachers are teachig it, its not their fault there's no time or structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Villain wrote: »

I wasn't suggesting that you can't qualify with one subject, only it makes it harder to get a full time job as it's rare in a school to have a full timetable of one subject only. Even in subjects like English and Maths, often classes are streamed so they are back to back on the timetable so a teacher can only take one group in each year.

It's even less likely that a person with computer science as their only subject would have a full timetable, particularly as it would most likely be an optional subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I wasn't suggesting that you can't qualify with one subject, only it makes it harder to get a full time job as it's rare in a school to have a full timetable of one subject only. Even in subjects like English and Maths, often classes are streamed so they are back to back on the timetable so a teacher can only take one group in each year.

It's even less likely that a person with computer science as their only subject would have a full timetable, particularly as it would most likely be an optional subject.

Ya I think there are a few subjects that often go solo. Home-ec and Art are the ones that come to mind.

But hey, if the people want to get in Coding teachers or whatever and are willing to pay them the same as every other teacher then go ahead.

Although I can't see the uptake any greater than applied maths or Physics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Moody_mona wrote: »
    ^ yea actually DCG, hadn't thought of that.

I am a DCG teacher we did nothing like coding in college that I can remember. I remember doing excel and all that alright and some maths on computers or have I forgotten something?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Ya I think there are a few subjects that often go solo. Home-ec and Art are the ones that come to mind.

But hey, if the people want to get in Coding teachers or whatever and are willing to pay them the same as every other teacher then go ahead.

Although I can't see the uptake any greater than applied maths or Physics.

Anyone coming out of St. Angela's qualifies with a second subject. Home Ec and Irish/Religion/Economics/Biology are the usual subjects.

seavill wrote: »
    I am a DCG teacher we did nothing like coding in college that I can remember. I remember doing excel and all that alright and some maths on computers or have I forgotten something?

Autocad I'd imagine is most of what your computer experience was in UL. When i was there we did a computing module in first year. Did a bit on number systems (binary, hexadecimal etc) and some basic coding in Pascal. But it was only the first semester. I assume the woodwork and metalwork teachers in my year did the same module.

Did maple in first year maths, and that was realistically just a software programme that allowed you to do maths formulas. Did a bit of excel and office in general in Ed Tech....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Yes maple I remember that name. No coding that I can remember from my time. SolidWorks (3D cad) excel word etc. That's it

Advertisement