Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Used 26" XS or small frame MTB for 150cm tall 12 year old.

Options
  • 17-09-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My daughter had her bike stolen a few weeks ago (left it unlocked in a nearby park) and I'm looking for a daily run around replacement which will do her for a couple of years as she's growing fast!! I'd say she'd be a good fit for a 26" XS or possibly an S size frame. I've been checking Adverts.ie for a while without any joy.

I'd like to keep the budget to €150 if possible which means I need to buy used. I really don't want to buy something "new" like this http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/indi-voyager-womens-mountain-bike-16 as I don't think the components are very good but I also want to avoid buying something stolen.

Any suggestions?

I live and work in the Sandyford/Stillorgan/Stepaside area.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Any suggestions?

First off, don't buy cheap full sus bikes like the one linked, commonly referred to as BSOs, they are about as bad as you can get in a bike. As you go cheaper, avoid all forms of suspension and less is more in terms of add-ons. Before you buy a cheap bike, pick it up with your weaker hand and see how heavy it is. When they talk about steel on a €150 bike like the one linked they actually mean pig-iron.

Don't know if it would be of any interest, but I've an old bike with 24" wheels which was my daughters before we got her the frog. Reasonable nick, not too heavy. Recently put new tyres and a new front brake on it. Probably suit someone up to 5ft. Welcome to borrow it if you're stuck for a stop-gap or yours for €50 if interested in buying. Overdue to go to the auction room to make space for newer model. Based in Ballyboden, I can put up some picks if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

smacl wrote: »
    First off, don't buy cheap full sus bikes like the one linked, commonly referred to as BSOs, they are about as bad as you can get in a bike. As you go cheaper, avoid all forms of suspension and less is more in terms of add-ons. Before you buy a cheap bike, pick it up with your weaker hand and see how heavy it is. When they talk about steel on a €150 bike like the one linked they actually mean pig-iron.

Don't know if it would be of any interest, but I've an old bike with 24" wheels which was my daughters before we got her the frog. Reasonable nick, not too heavy. Recently put new tyres and a new front brake on it. Probably suit someone up to 5ft. Welcome to borrow it if you're stuck for a stop-gap or yours for €50 if interested in buying. Overdue to go to the auction room to make space for newer model. Based in Ballyboden, I can put up some picks if you'd like.

I agree with you 100% which is why I don't want to buy a cheap piece of 5h1t, I'd much rather purchase an old basic but good quality bike for her to use as a daily run around.

Her old bike was a 24" and she was more or less grown out of it so I think an XS or S size frame with 26" wheels is what she needs next but I do appreciate the kind offer. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We went for the 26 inch wheeled carrera saruna, which was €200 on the recent 20% off, for my eldest daughter birthday. Components seem ok, and it's very light compared to the 20inch wheel "mountain" bike with front suspension it replaced. Only had it a month, so no long term test!

I Think axa discount is 15% this month which would get you nearer that price than the list price. If it's big enough. They had them in the shop in carrickmines last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

smacl wrote: »
    First off, don't buy cheap full sus bikes like the one linked, commonly referred to as BSOs, they are about as bad as you can get in a bike.

That's a really kind offer you made there! The cycling communitiy has an asset in you!

I had to google BSO and its a very apt description! Why are all the most apt acronyms TLA's !!

My pet hate is seeing a full suspension MTB on sale for around €100! = Junk, an possibly dangerous junk! Here is a good article on why they are merely BSO's. On the positive, if getting a cheap bike leads to a life long passion for cycling / active lifestyle, then maybe they are not all bad!

https://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/Dont-Buy-a-Cheap-Bike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't think so. If you look at the specs, they don't match the picture and list the bike as full suspension. Unless the bike will be used for mountain biking, you don't need any suspension, and very cheap mountain bikes aren't suitable for mountain biking anyway. Normal fixed forks are fine for Coilte trails, canal tow paths and the the like, and will be far better on the road. Having recently changed my daughters bike, I reckon single chain ring with a wide cassette is ideal for kids bikes. Out of interest, what type of weekly distances is she going to be doing, on what surface, and will she be carrying school bag or other luggage? A bit over your bit budget (welcome to the boards.ie cycling forum!) but I've been well impressed with the Frog bike we picked up off Joe Daly's for my daughter (13). You could do worse than put a wanted post in the adds section of this forum, as being bike enthusiasts a lot of what you see 2nd hand here is well maintained good kit.

Thanks smacl,

Agree with you 10% again. No need for suspension etc. The bike will be used for tipping around housing estate and on some trails during the summer but fairly handy stuff, nothing that needs suspension.

Myself and my 15 year old son have Orbea MX 30's - https://www.orbea.com/int-en/bicycles/2015/mx-30 and as soon as my daughter gets to 13 I'll get her a "proper" bike also but for now she just needs one more solid run around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I live and work in the Sandyford/Stillorgan/Stepaside area.

Fitzcycles have some Cuda and Orbea mountain/hybrid bikes on sale at the minute. Not much more than the price of your linked bike but none of the suspension rubbish and may do the job quite nicely if they are the right size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Not to stereotype your daughter but in off chance of her not being all over drivetrain, suspension and rim brake maintenance, this is a simple but decent enough quality bike
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-dee-1-26-city-bike-2014/rp-prod80998

The advantages of ss outweigh the disadvantages where roads are flatish and low maintenance is desirable

ford2600 wrote: »
    Not to stereotype your daughter but in off chance of her not being all over drivetrain, suspension and rim brake maintenance, this is a simple but decent enough quality bike
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-dee-1-26-city-bike-2014/rp-prod80998

The advantages of ss outweigh the disadvantages where roads are flatish and low maintenance is desirable

Nice bike and good value but single speed isn't a runner. She'll need gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Hey, I have this Carrera Fury...bike was never used and although a few years old has quality components...Unusually for a "used" mtb, everything is in great shape

Am just about to split and sell the parts, but before I do, I'm open to a reasonable offer - wouldn't go as low as 150 though...

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/carrera-fury-16-frame/10995194

boomdocker wrote: »
    Hey, I have this Carrera Fury...bike was never used and although a few years old has quality components...Unusually for a "used" mtb, everything is in great shape

Am just about to split and sell the parts, but before I do, I'm open to a reasonable offer - wouldn't go as low as 150 though...

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/carrera-fury-16-frame/10995194

Hi Boomdocker, that's probably to high spec for her right now. Plus the black paint job is a bit too "blokeish" for a 12 year old girl.

Best of luck with the sale.

Advertisement