Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2017-04-17

Options
  • 17-09-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

So I'm in again for 2017.
    All going well this will be my 4th Boston.

Entries will be open until the end of next week.
    If you have a qualifier then I can highly recommend the experience.

Last year's thread: Boston Marathon 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck with the training P. Hope you have a ticket for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Good luck with the training P. Hope you have a ticket for tomorrow!

Thanks J. Cusack Stand for tomorrow - presume you'll be there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks J. Cusack Stand for tomorrow - presume you'll be there too.

Yes indeed. We'll be in 303. Getting the season tickets at the end of 2011 has turned out to be one of our best decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play Paul, you will crack Boston yet! Hope to do it again but not for a few more years. All the best with it, a really fabulous experience.

Just giving this a bump to see if anybody else is on for this - I see one other boardsie is anyway.
    I've missed a month's training (Feb) with achilles issue and although back running it hasn't really fully resolved and may be regressing again.
    On the fence at the moment about travelling....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Hi Paulie

I'm heading over.

Only booked my accommodation 2 weeks ago, as I was worried I would get injured and end up pulling the plug on it.

I did have a couple of wobbly weeks, trigger point issues, and fatigue from travelling with work, but last 2 weeks have me over 100km, and feeling fairly good, and now starting to look forward to it.

There seemed to be a big boardise crew last year went, quiet around here this year.

Hope you are getting your training back on track.

Hi Paulie

I'm heading over.

Only booked my accommodation 2 weeks ago, as I was worried I would get injured and end up pulling the plug on it.

I did have a couple of wobbly weeks, trigger point issues, and fatigue from travelling with work, but last 2 weeks have me over 100km, and feeling fairly good, and now starting to look forward to it.

There seemed to be a big boardise crew last year went, quiet around here this year.

Hope you are getting your training back on track.

I finally pulled the plug on it - spent a couple of hours on the bike today in lieu of a 35k run! Sorry to be missing it.

I've done Boston in 2013, 2015 and 2016 - missed 2014 with injury and now missing 2017.

You're in for a treat - a unique and special marathon - I still haven't figured out the best way to approach the course and it's nailed me each time (although the weather played it's part the last 2 years in different ways). April weather in Boston is more changeable than Ireland.

Everybody in Boston loves the marathon and you'll be treated like a rock star.

There's a great buzz in the athletes village on the morning of the race - plenty of bagels, bananas, coffee, water and energy bars there. Bring a couple of black plastic bags with you to put on the grass so you can lie down.

Any queries just ask.

Best of luck with the race - no doubt you'll enjoy it.

Paulie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I finally pulled the plug on it - spent a couple of hours on the bike today in lieu of a 35k run! Sorry to be missing it.

I've done Boston in 2013, 2015 and 2016 - missed 2014 with injury and now missing 2017.

You're in for a treat - a unique and special marathon - I still haven't figured out the best way to approach the course and it's nailed me each time (although the weather played it's part the last 2 years in different ways). April weather in Boston is more changeable than Ireland.

Everybody in Boston loves the marathon and you'll be treated like a rock star.

There's a great buzz in the athletes village on the morning of the race - plenty of bagels, bananas, coffee, water and energy bars there. Bring a couple of black plastic bags with you to put on the grass so you can lie down.

Any queries just ask.

Best of luck with the race - no doubt you'll enjoy it.

Paulie.

What's up Paulie, hopefully nothing too serious?

TbL

What's up Paulie, hopefully nothing too serious?

TbL

Old age :(

Sore heel/achilles/peroneal - gave it 3 weeks off and tried a steep enough ramp back up for Boston. Was fine for a couple of weeks but it's back and probably getting worse with each run so I've decided to take the pressure off myself and let it recover properly.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Good luck to anyone bound for Boston.

According to weather forcast the wind will be in our backs, and the road will definitely rise up to meet us in the Newton hills.

Planning on meeting up in Cheers after, if anyone's about.

Just ask for Norm :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What time Irish time is it starting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What time Irish time is it starting at?

3pm for elite men and wave 1. Think the elite women have started. 21 degrees rising to 25.....ouch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is there coverage online?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

robinph wrote: »
    Is there coverage online?

The official place to watch for irish/uk viewers is Flotrack. I think that requires a subscription. Im sure there are other places to view it by other means but maybe somebody more tech savvy can suggest where. Im keeping an eye on the splits on baa.org

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

The official place to watch for irish/uk viewers is Flotrack. I think that requires a subscription. Im sure there are other places to view it by other means but maybe somebody more tech savvy can suggest where. Im keeping an eye on the splits on baa.org

I am watching it on TSN 2 which is a Canadian channel. Can't share the link though but with google I was able to many streams of that channel as everyone is looking for the NBC Sports one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have found some YouTube links which claim to be starting in a few minutes. Not sure of their quality yet...

1:28:31 Rupp still in the lead pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Paddy O'Leary from these parts through halfway in 1:14:xx. Ran sub 2:40 there last year in his first full marathon. On target to smash that.

Rupp and Kirui are leading men at 1:48

Paddy O'Leary from these parts through halfway in 1:14:xx. Ran sub 2:40 there last year in his first full marathon. On target to smash that.

Paddy O'Leary finished 61st overall :eek: in 2:30:34 :cool: Trail ultras are his thing so not a bad marathon! :D
    Another Irish chap, Fergal Whitty close behind, in 69th. 2:31:37.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Nice time for a relative novice. What age is the bloke? If 'young' it suggests there's a fair old bit of room for improvement. What was his training like?

Itziger wrote: »
    Nice time for a relative novice. What age is the bloke? If 'young' it suggests there's a fair old bit of room for improvement. What was his training like?

29. Strava linky: https://www.strava.com/pros/6190674. Run bests should be viewable. Training usually includes a lot of proper trail running. Usually races longer on the U.S. trails, predominantly around San Fran. Has done well in 50k, 50 miles and 100k trails. Next up is Transvulcania.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

On a somewhat sour note, Adidas managed to send a ridiculous "you survived Boston Marathon" email. Cue plenty of faux outrage on social media. However, it was - to say the very least - insensitive towards those 2013 survivors, though I gather that few of the maimed or injured would've been running again.

I suspect the marketing team just copy/paste "congrats! You survived the ... Brigadoon 5k ... Easter egg-and-spoon race ... Adidas-sponsored football yawn ...", with the automated bot deleting as appropriate for event to mailing list to photostream to other semi-automated compiling processes. The 'editorial' eye could well be someone with an interest in sport rather than any knowledge of the significance of particular phrases in certain contexts. FWIW their 'apology'.

I'm not part of the hyperventilating faux-outrage brigade but I do regard it as unprofessional for a sports brand to not tailor their marketing blurb to the particular circumstances pertaining to the event in question.

Advertisement