Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debit card details compromised

• 17-09-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I was the victim of a scam involving my debit card details being used for an unauthorised transaction in the USA to the value of 1,800 Euro. PTSB sent me a text to advise of a suspicious transaction and to call them asap which I duly did. I confirmed that I didn't make the transaction to xxxx.
    Thankfully my card is cancelled and new one issued in the next few days, thanks to the anti fraud team in ptsb for being on the ball.
    This episode has obviously made me think twice about using my debit card details online for internet shopping. Maybe if the sum involved wasn't as large it would have progressed without notice and further smaller amounts would be taken from my account.
    Im thinking of getting a credit card just for online purchases as that is the only way I can think of my account being compromised.
    Anyone with more experience on these matters ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

You must be entering your card details into dody sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

stevek93 wrote: »
    You must be entering your card details into dody sites.

Not always, "Good" sites get hacked sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

to my very best knowledge I'm not divulging my debit card details on any old website, mostly paypal, I travel a lot and stupidly used my debit card as holding card for hotel in the states earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

The biggest hacks have been on real store computer systems.

Online sites usually have extremely high security and most use an extremely secure gateway such as world pay, realex etc.

A large high Street store holds all the same details on their own servers and this is where a lot of breaches occur.

Tk maxx had a massive issue a few years ago with over 4million card details stolen.

A restaurant or shop with a dodgy staff member can access card details (excluding pin) on the card receipt they keep in most cases.

Where I work, 6 of the digits are missing, but in many stores all digits are printed on the part they keep. In bigger stores all the card details are stored on their servers. One breach and that's tons of cards compromised.

Imo, the safest place to use a card is online.

Edit - just saw this which probably explains recent spike in card issues

http://krebsonsecurity.com/category/data-breaches/

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

So cash is still king in real world transactions, makes sense that there are bound to be weaknesses in stores, restaurants etc when it comes to security of card details.
    Thanks Walter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

kefir32 wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting a credit card just for online purchases as that is the only way I can think of my account being compromised.

And how will that change things, you could still be liable for credit card transactions in the same way as truncations are put through on a debit card??? Perhaps a prepaid card might be a better answer?

Advertisement