Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sally Gap route advice.

Options
  • 17-09-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I've recently moved out to rathfarnham and am looking to go for a spin up to the Sally Gap next week and am just looking for advice from some who will he more familiar with the area than me.
    Would I be right in saying Rathfarnham-Glencullen-Glencree- through the national park- then eventually making my way to Dublin mountain golf club and into Tallaght and then home as my best route?
    That seems to be the most logical from google maps but any advise would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Would I be right in saying Rathfarnham-Glencullen-Glencree- through the national park- then eventually making my way to Dublin mountain golf club and into Tallaght and then home as my best route?
    That seems to be the most logical from google maps but any advise would be great.
    Not sure what you mean by 'best' or'logical' route!

Do you mean shortest?

If you are in Rathfarnham, then it straight up Stocking Lane/Kilakee Road/Military Road.

To go via Glencullen would require you going east first to climb via Kilternan

Regarding the Golf Club, you'd have to double back from the Gap to the Featherbeds to descend that way (i.e. via Bohernabreena?).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AndyPandy123

...Would I be right in saying Rathfarnham-Glencullen-Glencree- through the national park- then eventually making my way to Dublin mountain golf club and into Tallaght and then home as my best route?
    Not sure what you mean by 'best' or'logical' route!

Do you mean shortest?

If you are in Rathfarnham, then it straight up Stocking Lane/Kilakee Road/Military Road.

To go via Glencullen would require you going east first to climb via Kilternan

Regarding the Golf Club, you'd have to double back from the Gap to the Featherbeds to descend that way (i.e. via Bohernabreena?).

What I was getting at was that I'm unsure of what route to take starting in rathfarnham that I can do a loop and take in the Sally gap as I've never cycled it before..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think they meant via Manor Kilbride/Brittas rather than doubling back.

Glencullen is certainly an indirect way from Rathfarnham to Sally Gap. I'd take either Stocking Lane or Cruagh to the view point, then continue on from there: https://goo.gl/maps/3cZa6gU3CDm

I'd say living in Rathfarnham you'll have plenty of opportunity to explore the various climbs and loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Up Stocking Lane/the Military Road, back via R759, enjoy the view over Lough Tay and stop in Enniskerry or Powerscourt for a coffee.

https://goo.gl/maps/wQwdSQHVDWP2

Cheers for answers above. Was doing a bit of looking on street view last night so have a fair idea of the loop I'm going to do.

• Advertisement

Also the comedy option of heading towards Knocklyon up bohernabreena and up to the featherbeds via Cunnard Hill.

You are spoiled for choice with Hilly options near Rathfarnham.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ronoc wrote: »
    Also the comedy option of heading towards Knocklyon up bohernabreena and up to the featherbeds via Cunnard Hill.

Or for added laughs, Bohrenabreena, Cunard, the Line to Ballinascorney, Kippure Village, Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Just a word of warning, a large portion of the road from the viewing point (military road) to the Sally gap is in atrocious condition

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Just a word of warning, a large portion of the road from the viewing point (military road) to the Sally gap is in atrocious condition

I don't think it's that bad. They've re-paved some of it recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just go up Cunard so, baby smooth surface...
    The road from top of Cunard to the Sally gap was fine on the reservoir dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Seeing as that's a lungbuster of a climb I can't imagine that being too much of a concern

Just go up Cunard so, baby smooth surface...
    The road from top of Cunard to the Sally gap was fine on the reservoir dog

Very smooth but also a bit mossy at the bottom, where a few went slip sliding away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ronoc wrote: »

Perhaps a comedy option, but one of the most beautiful cycles in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Chuchote wrote: »
    Perhaps a comedy option, but one of the most beautiful cycles in Ireland.

Depends on how bad the flytipping is...

retalivity wrote: »
    Depends on how bad the flytipping is...

And how badly it's cleaned up. I became personally familiar with many of the bags above the valley over years as I drove by them. The council never, never did anything about them, as far as I could see, either to stop people dumping or to clear the place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

where abouts? I was up there saturday morning and it was fine.

they've resurfaced a portion of road from Kippure mast onwards (though not all the way).

1bryan wrote: »
    where abouts? I was up there saturday morning and it was fine.

they've resurfaced a portion of road from Kippure mast onwards (though not all the way).

Go up past Glenasmole, through Friarstown, Piperstown towards the part of the Featherbeds where Noel Lemass's poor body was found. On that approach road, in the ditch all along the left, is an archaeological treasure-house of filth.

Not sure of the name of the place, would it be Glassamucky?

It might be worth getting together with local people and going up with black plastic bags some time to clear it, but you'd practically need hazard dress, plus flatback trucks to take the stuff.

It would.
    It might be worth getting together with local people and going up with black plastic bags some time to clear it, but you'd practically need hazard dress, plus flatback trucks to take the stuff.

Was up there over the weekend and saw some local people doing just that. There was a boards organised clean up on the Military road a while back (which I missed), could be worth organising another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Go up past Glenasmole, through Friarstown, Piperstown towards the part of the Featherbeds where Noel Lemass's poor body was found. On that approach road, in the ditch all along the left, is an archaeological treasure-house of filth.

oh right, I get you now.

A couple of miles past lough bray there was a northern reg Audi A4 with a smashed passenger side window, I presume, stolen and abandoned.

I'd say those hills come 'alive' at night time.

1bryan wrote: »
    oh right, I get you now.

A couple of miles past lough bray there was a northern reg Audi A4 with a smashed passenger side window, I presume, stolen and abandoned.

I'd say those hills come 'alive' at night time.

You'd be right. I have friends who live off the Military Road and drive round by the motorway late at night rather than driving on that road.

If you want to really see the filth deposited at Glassamucky, go up there in a truck or in a 4x4 so you have a view down into the ditches. It makes you wonder if humans are that good an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057561661

Did this route yesterday, left the house a bit late so was worried about it getting dark while up there but it all worked out in the end.
    Really enjoyed it.

Advertisement