Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punishment for texting behind the wheel to be doubled. (UK)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It should be €500 here, no excuse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They could up the punishment to death for all the difference it'd make. I'd say I see 15-20+ people a day on their phone driving around. I could be self funding on a very good salary with plenty left over if the Gardai gave me a job and a car.

Bluetooth should be mandatory on new cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Bluetooth should be mandatory on new cars.

How do you text with bluetooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Siri?

Texts, by their nature, aren't urgent. It can wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. How did we survive at all driving before the invention of the mobile phone...

Turn the phone off and pop it in the glove box when driving. It's a blessed relief to not be on call to the poxy thing for a while every day. Anybody texting behind the wheel should be made drive slowly over their device by the side of the road. And them clean it up. Insurance companies should be notified that they did it deliberately so they've to pay full whack for a new one.

Tossers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very easily, on Android
    Say ok Google, text Joe bloggs
    Then say your message and it'll ask if you want to send it or change it.

Very very easy, but yet we still see idiots texting while driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

It amazes me the the amount of people driving new cars that should be connected to the cars Bluetooth yet still hold the phone to their ear while driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shur wasn't it supposed to be a €2000 fine in Ireland?
    From coming into effect of the regulations, they will be subject to the general penalty under section 102 of the Road Traffic Act 1961, as amended. This means that cases will come to court and, if convicted, the penalty will be:

€1,000 maximum fine for a first offence
    €2,000 maximum fine for a second or subsequent offence
    €2,000 maximum fine and/or up to three months in prison for a third or subsequent offence within a twelve month period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would imagine there is technology there to block sending/receiving mobile texts while in a vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What about passengers, or people on public transport though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Public transport is different in that you are not doing the driving so no need for it. I'd also quite happily go with my passengers while in my car not being able to text the same way you didn't text before it was invented. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm always amazed to see professional drivers - taxi, bus, van, lorry etc - using mobiles while driving. If you are driving all day then get a handfree, Bluetooth or whatever but don't risk losing your licence by using a phone, like you seem to do almost all day.

The biggest problem though boils down to lack of enforcement. It's a joke in this country. Some great laws and no enforcement worth talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

10 points on your licence . 3 months community service and 2000 Euro fine would stop a lot of it. Of course the guards would bed to do their job throw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Much safer in a car with someone legally drunk driving it than someone texting and driving...
    Several studies have attempted to compare the dangers of texting while driving with driving under the influence. One such study was conducted by Car and Driver magazine in June 2009.[14] The study, carried out at the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport in Oscoda, Michigan, used two drivers in real cars and measured reaction times to the onset of light on the windshield. The study compared the reaction times and distances of the subjects while reading a text message, replying to the text message, and impaired. The study showed that at 35 mph (56 km/h), reading a text message decreased the reaction time the most, 0.12 and 0.87 seconds. Impaired driving at the same speed resulted in an increase of 0.01 and 0.07 seconds. In terms of stopping distances these times were estimated to mean:

Unimpaired: 0.54 seconds to brake
    Legally drunk: add 4 feet (1.2 m)
    Reading e-mail: add 36 feet (11 m)
    Sending a text: add 70 feet (21 m)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texting_while_driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

10 points on your licence . 3 months community service and 2000 Euro fine would stop a lot of it. Of course the guards would bed to do their job throw

.....and maybe a compulsory course in how to use predictive texting? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hands free texting is easy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Mandatory disqualification from driving, as well as a significant number of penalty points, with a longer period for "professional" drivers, maybe if that was the minimum, and there was some effective enforcement, people might get the message.

Nothing frightens me more than to be on a narrow county lane and see a 32 tonne artic coming towards me and realise that the driver has his phone clamped to one ear, or worse, in front of his face as he's texting, it should be mandatory for all commercial vehicles and taxis to have bluetooth installed and operational at every test.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The most noticable people using phone are on calls. At the very least if you actually enforce laws against people using the phone, it might reduce the ones slyly txting . At the minute people are blatantly driving around with phones to their ears, so obviously people have no expectation of being caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Met a good few drivers today I could only see the top of their head facing out to the windscreen they were so absorbed in whatever was going on in phone land. One well over a solid white line.

That and cutting corners as if they were entitled to the full width of the road were the two most ignorant driving fails I saw this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I won't go near Tesco anymore.
    Had a consistent predictable commute and Tesco petrol rarely got me 600km on full tank.
    Applegreen gave me at least another 50-100km.

My wife was an internet shopping manager at Tesco and the drivers there cursed Tesco fuel too.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed - well not really - at the amount of drivers at around 5-6pm driving home from work, stopped at traffic lights, all heads down checking phones, texting or whatever.

Has anyone ever been done for using their phones while stopped at the lights, or does the law only apply to holding the phone while the driver's vehicle is actually in motion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tippman1 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been done for using their phones while stopped at the lights, or does the law only apply to holding the phone while the driver's vehicle is actually in motion?

No one has been done which is why everyone does it. Doesn't matter if stopped at lights or driving the offence is the same, enforcement is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What about yer man on the motorway reading a book?

I'm amazed - well not really - at the amount of drivers at around 5-6pm driving home from work, stopped at traffic lights, all heads down checking phones, texting or whatever.

What's wrong with checking your phone when stopped, ridiculous the fact that you can be done for it.

What's wrong with checking your phone when stopped, ridiculous the fact that you can be done for it.

When you fail to notice the traffic in front has moved on while you're finishing off your text. That really annoys the folks right behind you. I see this carry-on every day at the traffic lights at Ivan's Cross in Limerick, especially at the evening commute times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

When you fail to notice the traffic in front has moved on while you're finishing off your text. That really annoys the folks right behind you. I see this carry-on every day at the traffic lights at Ivan's Cross in Limerick, especially at the evening commute times.

+1

So annoying and so common nowadays. Phones being held below the steering wheel mostly, texting away no doubt, or catching pokemons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Good, but the problem lays elsewhere; They can up the penalty to the chopping off of genitalia, it still won't do anything - people are tethered to their stupid "smart"phones, and suffer from separation anxiety to the point of getting physically sick. Look at what's happening with the Note 7 recall, only about 13% of the buyers actually returned the phone. They prefer risking a 1000c fire in their pocket (or near their head) rather than being without their beloved phone for a couple of weeks.

If it wasn't real, it'd be a situation out of South Park, with one of the adults in the show telling his/her son "you have an addiction" while laying in a bed of discarded beer cans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

It's both shocking and frightening when you see the amount of people looking at or talking on phones while driving. There's no enforcement of the law regarding mobiles in my area.

Advertisement