Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paying mortgage after deeds

Options
  • 18-09-2016 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hi, is this the done thing? To stop paying the mortgage when you are selling the house and have requested the deeds from the bank?

Someone I know has done this and said their solicitor advised them not to pay but there is something not right about this especially because the sale fell through and the mortgage wasn't paid through the process of having the house sold again.

I'm just curious because I feel that is not something a solicitor would advise.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We paid till the day of closing which meant we over paid and had to be refunded which was fine. No idea why you would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

The bank hold the deeds until the mortgage is repaid in full. You continue to pay a mortgage until the debt is repaid in full.
    If someone is buying the property from you the bank will transfer the deeds to them or their lender once they receive the money they are owed from the proceeds of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Thanks for replies. Person I'm talking about has now racked up a few grand in interest and is blaming solicitor for telling him not to pay. Seriously silly carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Deer wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. Person I'm talking about has now racked up a few grand in interest and is blaming solicitor for telling him not to pay. Seriously silly carry on.

Few grand in interest, must have not paid for many months.

Also, credit history will now be in tatters.

Advertisement