Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church bells Mullingar

• 18-09-2016 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone else have a problem with the church bells going off at all hours of the night and from the very early hours on a Sunday morning every 10 or 15 minutes from the cathedral... It's waking the kids and ourselves, ridiculous to say they have to go off so often.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Not sure if it helps but it's been like that for years. Most people get used to it like living beside the train track.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Was this meant for after hours?

It's been there for centuries. Live with it. Get better windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Was this meant for after hours?

It's been there for centuries. Live with it. Get better windows.

My windows are just fine, "it's been there for centuries" so were slaves does that make it right? I'm not saying get rid of them just have a bit of common sense. Why have the go off from very early am on a Sunday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

"Very early" doesn't tell us much, what do you call very early?

• Advertisement

On a Sunday I call 7 am early especially when it's every 15 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gerrup ourra bed ye lazy get!

Obvious my they aren't fine if you can hear the bells?

I live right beside a church, literally 100 metres. No noise from the bells at all and they ring every hour and in the mornings.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Obvious my they aren't fine if you can hear the bells?

I live right beside a church, literally 100 metres. No noise from the bells at all and they ring every hour and in the mornings.

If theirs no noise from the bells how do you know they go off every hour??? are you talking about a bell tower ?? are you sure they work ??you cant hear this from 100meters away ?? you need your ears checked

No I've got good windows. They can be heard, but nothing that would wake a person up in my opinion.

Perhaps yours are louder, it may be an issue. Put a petition to have them removed if it bothers you that much.

• Advertisement

Tbh not looking for them to be removed just to be used at a sensible time, I will have a chat with the local pp

Tbh not looking for them to be removed just to be used at a sensible time, I will have a chat with the local pp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

pm. wrote: »

In Mullingar you need to talk to the Bishop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

pm. wrote: »
    My windows are just fine, "it's been there for centuries" so were slaves does that make it right? I'm not saying get rid of them just have a bit of common sense. Why have the go off from very early am on a Sunday morning?

Comparing a small inconvenience to slavery is utterly laughable

One assumes that your moved into your home a lot more later to when the Church / Cathedral started their tradition

You understand the term caveat emptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Have the same problem in Meath. Every morning from 08:00 to 09:00 every 15 minutes lasting 3 minutes.then again at 12:00 and 18:00 during the summer bedroom windows are open so can hear them clear as a errr bell!

It is very annoying and unnecessary in my opinion but nothing I can do about it so just have to get used to it.

I will be moving in the next year and it has made me very wary of buying a house near a church.

I presume there is some traditional reason why they are rung (its a recording not actual bell ringers) so I would say complaining would get you nowhere.

Dont forget we're talking about an institution that did nothing about kids being molested for years so cant imagine they would be too bothered about noise pollution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Why don't you move if it bothers you that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When I was younger and living at home, the house was directly opposite the church.

The bells went off regularly, but after a while we didn't hear them. Visitors would though!

I think it's something you just get used to after a while and while the noise is there alright somehow it's blocked from your consciousness and it doesn't bother you.

Ear plugs might help, as I doubt you will get the church to stop their traditions anytime soon!

Advertisement