Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small rad leak

• 18-09-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've a small intermittent leak coming from an old rad valve. I think it's coming from the pipe from the floor intro the valve. Anyway it all looks ancient gunbarrell and I don't fancy my chances of taking it apart and putting it back together successfully. It's there something on the market for sealing it ? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi. I've a small intermittent leak coming from an old rad valve. I think it's coming from the pipe from the floor intro the valve. Anyway it all looks ancient gunbarrell and I don't fancy my chances of taking it apart and putting it back together successfully. It's there something on the market for sealing it ? Thanks

There are sealants available. We had one in a similar position and ended up getting new piping and boiler in. We were thinking about it anyway, so just got it done sooner.
    Plumber sealed it as a temporary measure but was telling me that it screws up the boiler.
    Chances are that if there's one leak visible there are more under the floor.
    Before you think it's just a plumber wanting more business. My family and in-laws families have been using him for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

There are sealants available. We had one in a similar position and ended up getting new piping and boiler in. We were thinking about it anyway, so just got it done sooner.
    Plumber sealed it as a temporary measure but was telling me that it screws up the boiler.
    Chances are that if there's one leak visible there are more under the floor.
    Before you think it's just a plumber wanting more business. My family and in-laws families have been using him for years.

Cheers. I dont have a header tank, so I can't easily add anything to the system. I bought some putty that hardens. I'll give it a go and see if it stops the leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cheers. I dont have a header tank, so I can't easily add anything to the system. I bought some putty that hardens. I'll give it a go and see if it stops the leak.

If your in Dublin I can give you the name of my plumber if you want.

Thanks Cedric Beautiful Taster. I spent this evening washing the wheelie bin out, I think some grease leaked from a bag. It was stinking! :eek:
    A cup of tea and a sit down now for this evening. I'll give the rad a whirl tomorrow. If I cant get it sorted, I'll pm you.

Update: I've tried, soft putty, hard setting putty, and a strange waxy/oily hemp tape. All will no luck. I'll send you a PM for that number, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement