Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable sports bike for newbie

• 18-09-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I'm about to start my ibt and hopefully get my first bike in the coming months. I'm more into the sporty bike look than anything else. Has anyone got any suggestions regarding suitable bikes (sports) for complete newbie..??? Also insurance friendly would be useful!!!;-) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any reason sporty? My advice would be to check out a few first.

There is some lovely naked setups on the market recently MT range specifically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

Just prefer the look really, is there a different type you'd recommend???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kawasaki Ninja 300 perhaps?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Ninja 300 isn't a real sportbike. It's a naked bike with a full fairing slapped on to it. None of the real sportbikes are suitable for beginners.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Ninja 300 isn't a real sportbike. It's a naked bike with a full fairing slapped on to it. None of the real sportbikes are suitable for beginners.

Why because it's not a 600/1000?

It's a small cc sport bike. Suited to those who want a sports bike at the start.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »

It's a small cc sport bike. Suited to those who want a sports bike at the start.

It has a fairly upright riding position and its rake angle isn't that steep.
    Would you call a gsx650f a sportbike because it has a full fairing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My suggestion for a sports bike for a noobie would be a Suzuki SV650s.

Lots of poke, not enough to tie you (a beginner) up in knots. Brilliant handling & riding position (even for plus 6 ft riders) and good fuel economy.

I love the clocks, the riding position and the engine on the old curvy SV650.. The newer pointy SV650 has a more refined engine, but IMO not as much fun however you might find less maintenance on the pointy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Cbr500r, not to many selling over here but they are fairly cheap over in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Have to agree with Makikomi. I started out on a SV650s last year and loved it. Plenty of power and torque to learn with. Also lots of engine braking which is nice too.
    It's a lovely handling bike and really enjoyed getting it onto some twisty roads. I will never forget the first trip I did to Kerry on it. That was the first taste of some proper twisty roads. Motorbike heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I learnt on the ninja 300 and i'd definitely class it towards a small cc sports bike. It handles like one, the engine feels like one and the sitting position while not fully sports bike has a lot more in common with a sportsbike than not. It's no slouch either for its displacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

GBX wrote: »

Agree, a CBR250/400, ZXR 400, GSXR400 etc are 'sports' bikes, just because a bike wears a full fairing does not make it a sports bike, it's all about power, handling and delivery.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OP should check with insurers first, depending on age anything remotely sporty with 0 NCB can be impossible to insure.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

It has a fairly upright riding position and its rake angle isn't that steep.
    Would you call a gsx650f a sportbike because it has a full fairing?
    bladespin wrote: »
    Agree, a CBR250/400, ZXR 400, GSXR400 etc are 'sports' bikes, just because a bike wears a full fairing does not make it a sports bike, it's all about power, handling and delivery.

He said very clearly, twice, that, he prefers the *look* of sportsbikes; who cares on the definition of a "real" sports bike!!

OP: I started out on a Ninja 250, and I have to say, I loved it, and I never got rid of it. Definitely learned a heck of a lot more on it, than I would have if I'd started on a bigger/faster bike. Plenty of poke, easy to run and maintain.

Super reliable too.

rat_race wrote: »
    OP: I started out on a Ninja 250, and I have to say, I loved it, and I never got rid of it. Definitely learned a heck of a lot more on it, than I would have if I'd started on a bigger/faster bike. Plenty of poke, easy to run and maintain.

Super reliable too.

On that, I often tell beginners that you'll learn more on a slower bike at the start than a bigger faster bike.

My first 'proper' sports bike was (you'll all laugh) was a Yamaha RD120YPVS & I thought I was the dogs bollox on it, I even fitted the first real 'sticky track day tires ~ Metzler ME22 'track formula' to it :D

It was also the first bike I owned which could hit the 100mph mark, if you were tucked down behind the little screen, with a tailwind and coming down a hill but fook man it never stopped me trying :p

I remember thinking that dumping the clutch from a stop/start and the front wheel jumping into the air (while both feet were still on the ground) was a wheelie lol.

Anyone who rides one, no impersonators pleazzzze

RD was the first road bike I owned, micron, k&n, reeds etc, loved it to bits - literally, mate had an Aprillia and used to loose it when the yammy flew past.

Thanks for all the replies and various opinions. Just to let ye know an insurance company mentioned the following bikes amongst others as good starter bikes for insurance
    Kawasaki er6f
    Kawasaki er6n
    Honda cb 500
    Suzuki gsf 600
    Suzuki sv 650
    Yamaha xvs
    Yamaha xv
    Any opinions on these???
    Thanks again

daludo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and various opinions. Just to let ye know an insurance company mentioned the following bikes amongst others as good starter bikes for insurance
    Kawasaki er6f
    Kawasaki er6n
    Honda cb 500
    Suzuki gsf 600
    Suzuki sv 650
    Yamaha xvs
    Yamaha xv
    Any opinions on these???
    Thanks again
    Some of them bikes would depend on which licence you have .. A1/2.

Just looking for something to get going on myself after a few lessons and ibt.as I said I'm a total newb, green as the grass :-S

Just looking for something to get going on myself after a few lessons and ibt.as I said I'm a total newb, green as the grass :-S

Another idea is to find out which of those bikes your IBT instructor uses for the students and see how that feels for you?.

What kind of riding are you doing, ie city commutes to work, motorway riding etc?.

Some sports bikes, even the little one's like the SV can be a handful in city traffic when you're trying to filter whilst bikes like the CB500 is a brilliant commuter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Another idea is to find out which of those bikes your IBT instructor uses for the students and see how that feels for you?.

What kind of riding are you doing, ie city commutes to work, motorway riding etc?.

Some sports bikes, even the little one's like the SV can be a handful in city traffic when you're trying to filter whilst bikes like the CB500 is a brilliant commuter.

I'd go for the sv 650 or the er6. Both great bikes.

A sv would not be awkward in traffic. Abit of forward planning and any proper sports bike isn't either.

And a ninja 300 is a decent bike but nowhere near a sports bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

SV650, well the old (non-S) ones at least, are very handy through traffic.

4615647874_41794e351a_z.jpg
    DSCF0001 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Ideal despatch tool, with Scotoiler + Keith Gold Size 5 topbox bolted onto a spare pillion seat (for quick removal for the weekends).

Mostly country roads. Sunday spins

The SV650s so, cheap as chips and bags of fun.

The 'S' has a fairing and clip-on bars. They're really fun and sound fantastic with an aftermarket slip on pipe.

Thanks Makikomi il check out that bike,seems to tick a lot of boxes on this forum...

daludo wrote:

SV would be made for this, pokey v twin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

On that, I often tell beginners that you'll learn more on a slower bike at the start than a bigger faster bike.

I'm probably demonstrating ignorance here but what do the smaller bikes allow you to learn that a big bike wouldnt?

limits of grip, how to muscle it around corners...just overall better control?

I've only ever been on big bikes (1000cc - tho my second was a 750) and while I feel proficient and haven't had a proper accident yet (bar letting one tip over on me in the car park and losing front wheel at crawling pace in a driveway with deep gravel) I can't help feeling people who got used to flinging smaller machines around are better than me.

amacca wrote: »
    I'm probably demonstrating ignorance here but what do the smaller bikes allow you to learn that a big bike wouldnt?

limits of grip, how to muscle it around corners...just overall better control?

I've only ever been on big bikes (1000cc - tho my second was a 750) and while I feel proficient and haven't had a proper accident yet (bar letting one tip over on me in the car park and losing front wheel at crawling pace in a driveway with deep gravel) I can't help feeling people who got used to flinging smaller machines around are better than me.

I'm drunk.. I'll get back to you tomorrow if I can :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm drunk.. I'll get back to you tomorrow if I can :P

Fair enough.....I should really be drinking myself :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

It's Easier to build confidence and skills on a bike that you know isn't going to rip your head off if you make a mistake.

Advertisement