Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable sports bike for newbie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like many older bikers on small machines, 50cc-80cc-175cc-250cc-650cc.
    Offroad and then onroad once I was able to ride legally.
    On small machines you can learn manoeuvres that transfer to larger heavier machines without fear of dropping a heavy machine.
    Once a top heavy bike starts to go its difficult to keep it upright, a small light machine can be stabilised easily and build your confidence that way.
    Riding offroad is probably the best for bike control, learning to control a bike in slippery, wet, off camber corners is a good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aren't modern bigger bikes close to the same weight as old small bikes? My naked 700 is 186kg full. What did old 250s weigh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lumen wrote: »
    Aren't modern bigger bikes close to the same weight as old small bikes? My naked 700 is 186kg full. What did old 250s weigh?

The old CBR250 was a claimed 143kg dry, 158 full.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    The old CBR250 was a claimed 143kg dry, 158 full.

X7 was 160kg wet, XL250S 132kg wet, IT 175 93kg dry, CR250R 93kg dry
    RZ50 75kg MT5 83kg, TS100 92kg PE400 ~110kg NX650 180kg

CJhaughey wrote: »
    RZ50 75kg

:eek:

• Advertisement

:eek:

That was a really fun bike, superlight and fun to ride.
    397748.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

394564.jpg
    394565.jpg

cheap, cheap to insure, light (190kg wet)

I don't know about what other bikes are like to learn on but I have no complaints about the sv

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That was a really fun bike, superlight and fun to ride.

Had an RD125LC, it's bigger (lol) brother, one of the best bikes ever regardless of size.190384_1956699001807_7227290_n.jpg?oh=542ec70fed468e5a0cdc9a4743f28b56&oe=58820144

Had an RD125LC, it's bigger (lol) brother, one of the best bikes ever regardless of size.190384_1956699001807_7227290_n.jpg?oh=542ec70fed468e5a0cdc9a4743f28b56&oe=58820144

I'll say this for Yamaha, They build a good two stroke engine and they know how to make a nice handling bike.
    Combine the two and the result is brilliant fun.
    I'd imagine the 125 wasn't a whole pile heavier than the 50cc with a lot more power.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

This videos is a good example of how a small bike helps skill progression. The guy on the 250 is able to dominate 1000cc sportbikes in the corners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking of the RD125 ypvs.. Sometime in the mid/late 80's I rode down from Belfast with my pillion GF holding onto an Argos slide, and we'd three crates of cider bungee strapped to the tank.

Because of the border restrictions and customs we rode up towards Forkhill via some un-approved roads to by pass the Brit army/RUC check point at Newry and the customs check on the Irish side.

I'd some mad times on that bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Ninja 300 isn't a real sportbike. It's a naked bike with a full fairing slapped on to it. None of the real sportbikes are suitable for beginners.

I was going to say 'you're wrong, watch Pugzilla's video down the page' but then you'd be arguing with yourself :p

If (with a good rider on board) it out-corners litre sportsbikes then it's a sportsbike.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

amacca wrote: »
    I'm probably demonstrating ignorance here but what do the smaller bikes allow you to learn that a big bike wouldnt?

limits of grip, how to muscle it around corners...just overall better control?

I've only ever been on big bikes (1000cc - tho my second was a 750) and while I feel proficient and haven't had a proper accident yet (bar letting one tip over on me in the car park and losing front wheel at crawling pace in a driveway with deep gravel) I can't help feeling people who got used to flinging smaller machines around are better than me.

It's about a few things, really...

Here's how I'd summarize it:
    • Lighter, less intimidating to move around
    • Less scary & easier to get the knee down (shouldn't be any easier, but we instinctively think heavier things are more likely to fall over)
    • Easier to filter (narrower than bigger bikes, and smaller wheelbase)
    • Gives more cornering confidence (i.e., carrying speed into and out of your turns), a bigger bike would mean a lot more skill would be required to achieve the same
    • Easier to brake and more importantly, emergency brake
    • More forgiving WHEN you make mistakes (less power), with the throttle, braking, or gearing
    • Cheaper to buy, maintain, and fix
    • Good way to figure out what you want and don't want in a bike, before paying big money
    • Easier to experiment/practice on (emergency braking, throttle control), without killing yourself
    • If a smaller/cheaper first, you're more likely to learn how to tinker with it, maintain it -- it's simpler and handier to work on that a lot of larger bikes

Advertisement