Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handed in notice and employer doesnt want employee back for notice period

Options
  • 18-09-2016 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

hi - i have a good friend who has asked me to look into this for him. he has handed in notice to his employer (not leaving on the best of terms) and he was only required to work one week as he was there less than 2 years. however he reeeived a text this morning from employer and he said that he would pay him for the week but he didnt want him back in and he would also pay holidays etc. my firend is wondering can he do this or can he work the week if he wants? i would be trying to ster my firend towards just taking the wages and leave at that bu ti think for piece of mind he would rather know.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes the employer can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yep, it's known as payment in lieu of notice and it's very common. Tell your friend to enjoy their gardening leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

ok thanks for the replies and i think we will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Very common. Employer doesn't want to set eyes on him again is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Particularly prevalent in retail. Employer doesn't want disgruntled employee around money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement