Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signet 100 setup

Options
  • 18-09-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I had a Europlex Signet system set up several years ago. It uses a GSM dialler and I have only recently found that the Installer made a mistake and has it dialling his own mobile number as well as mine when I set and unset the system. He has moved to a different line of work and although his mobile number is still in use it is only taking messages and I never get a call back. I have also emailed his new company and got no reply. Is there any way I can change the dialled numbers without getting into the engineering section and if not how can I get into that? It is costing me money every time I go out and must be a nuisance to the installer. I can't understand his lack of response. I presume he could remotely log in to my system and correct his mistake.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There would be no remote access in a Signet 100.
    If you enter your user code can you access the user's menu and see if his number has been added to a user code.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownep

Hi KoolKid. Many thanks for your speedy response. Somehow the problem has disappeared since the beginning of August when I was trying to contact the guy. I hadn't realised that until I checked the call log on the sim card just now. His number is not shown in the Menu either, but I had not checked before so I don't know if it was there before. Up to that point every exit and entry triggered two calls. I have no idea how that was changed without access. From your helpful message I had a look in the user menu and can see only my own number. I had not known that in that menu I can also add numbers to the system. I am unclear if the added numbers will only be called in the event of an alarm being triggered unlike my own number which is also called every time the system is set or unset. Can you clarify that for me please.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any number can have any of the listed events responded to .
    If you add a number then goto events you can enable or disable eact one by one.
    Could it be his number was added as an engineer and he only gets calls on faults, tampers etc?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Any number can have any of the listed events responded to .
    If you add a number then goto events you can enable or disable eact one by one.
    Could it be his number was added as an engineer and he only gets calls on faults, tampers etc?
    Hi. The installer's number was being dialled every time I set or unset the alarm. I have checked back as far as April 26th. On that day My number and his were each dialled 8 times, none of them an alert. Just setting and unsetting the system. That day alone cost me €1.12 Calls to my own number, on the same network, are free. When a fault or other alert occurs it also calls two friends. Since leaving messages for the guy the system has only my own number for any texts which is why I want to reprogramme it with additional numbers. The installer left paperwork with me which seems to say that the Signet can be dialled into with a service code and changes can then be made. I often dial in as a user to set or unset it but I think with the engineering code he must have been able to delete all numbers from it except mine. If I can now, from your advice, reprogramme it with some additional numbers my problems will be solved. Thanks again

Are you sure it's not a Signet 200 or 220?
    Can you check if there is any data usage on that sim?

• Advertisement

Well spotted. It is a Signet 100 on the outside cover of the box but a 200 on a sticker inside. I just copped it today when I was looking up the paperwork and found a receipt for a 200. I presume that is how the missing installer was able to correct his mistake. Pity he didn't tell me. I've been experimenting with the editing of phone numbers and it is there I can set what the system sends to each number. Unfortunately just lately the system has been missing a lot of text sending, down to a sudden degrading of signal on the Tesco network. It is probably down to 3's takeover. They always had a dodgy service. Tesco is the only network which will give me unlimited texts to my phone for a monthly €5. The occasional text alert to other networks is easily done within that and it rolls over and doesn't expire for three years if unused. So now if I had a reliable signal I would be sorted. Many thanks for your help. If you are in that business please pm me with contact details so I know who to call if the system dies or needs to be upgraded. Thanks again for your valuable help.

Sorry. I missed your second question. There is no data usage shown on the sim.

He possibly has remote access so.
    Does the panel have an ethernet port on the board?

No ethernet. Just x10, rs232 and USB

A quick text to me from that installer would have been nice. He removed all numbers except my own so essentially since August 1 it would have been bad if I was raided while away somewhere.

• Advertisement

Hi again KoolKid. Do you know if the GSM dialler used in the Signet 200 is prone to problems. I've got all my numbers and event alerts set up but the messages from the system are too intermittent to be reliable. I mentioned before that the network signal is floating a bit but I have done tests when my 'phone shows a good signal and still get hit and miss results.

I have never had any issues with them.
    Are you getting any line faults or modem faults registering on the system?

Modem fault only when I remove the sim. So at least the absence is noted. Just about 50% of texts which should be sent are missing. I've tried spraying contact cleaner on the pins of the dialler board and also cleaned the sim. I will borrow a sim from another network tomorrow and try that.

Finally got my alarm working correctly. Got a Vodafone sim card and now everything is perfect. The dial out system had been working well on a Tesco sim for several years until 3 took over the O2 network. The change makes life a little harder as the Tesco network has a couple of excellent features not found elsewhere. Their credit will run for three years without expiring and they also have an automatic recurring top up system so I never needed to remember dates. Thanks to CoolKid for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

Any ideas why the Tesco SIM stopped working (other than moving to the Three network?) - I've had an issue with my SIM texting for the past few months and couldn't understand why. If I change to a Vodafone SIM should this fix it?

Yes my trouble started when 3 took over the network. I use a tesco sim in my phone and the signal bars are jumping all over the place. Four bars now and a minute later one or even none. I took the sim from the alarm and put it in a phone and found the same behaviour. Since fitting the Vodafone sim the system has been perfect. A costly solution as my Tesco texts were free with the minimun €5/month automated top up. Now I have a €20 voda top up with the first month of free texts. After that I can let the €20 run down at 15c / text or buy a monthly unlimited text bundle with it for €10 and repeat next month. Now that I have regained confidence in the dialler I could disable the "Mode Change" feature on the key pad so the system will only send a text when there is an alert or intrusion. That way the €20 will last for six months until it times out. The down side of this change is remembering to top up.

Advertisement