Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic improvements

Options
  • 18-09-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭

I'll start this on the hope that the powers that be might come across this and see our opinions and what suggestions we could make to improve on future picnic experiences.
    Let's try keep the discussion to the discussion thread.

Here's my list
    Try and police the entry of youngsters a lot better.
    Drop the price of drink at the bar, seriously, its way overpriced. This is why people are pissed coming in from campsites
    The walkway from family camping car park to campsite was basically made of rubble. How do you expect people to push buggies through this??
    Swimming area was a waste of time.
    Re route family camping walkway from camp to main arena to the way it was in 2015
    Ban food stations from playing music
    Have somewhere decent to watch the all Ireland final. The amount of pissed off fans i heard giving out about this was terrible. I'm not a GAA fan but this years showing in the tent was abysmal. It's 90mins, it's not that long.
    Me personally I'd like to see more metal/rock acts. It's a huge place and I feel metal deserves a spot somewhere. There's only so much techno house garage or whatever it's called that I can listen to.
    More wood chippings on bad walkways
    Can't think of anything else but I'll add it later if I do.
    Good picnic this year. Pity about the weather but I know you can't do anything about that..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im not sure if we really need another thread for this but anyway.

Id agree with all your points, though I couldn't give a toss about more metal acts or the GAA. I'm fairly sure the people who run the festival can't control the price of drinks at the bars. So the only way the prices will come down is if everyone boycotts the bars and that's never going to happen.

They got slated on Facebook and Twitter for the lake swimming nonsense and how it affected family camping so id be amazed if it's still the same next year. If they have any sense they'll bin that idea and go back to the way it was in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

They still haven't binned the poxy 'fun' fair. Seriously adds nothing but detracts and makes it feel cheap. I bloody hate it.

I have to say I didn't notice it as much this year as we camped in Wilde instead of Hendrix which meant we walked past the Salty Dog on the way to the arena instead of the funfair which was much nicer. I won't be going back to Hendrix anymore I don't think. The ferris wheel is nice but I agree the rest of it should be gotten rid of and replaced with Arcadia. Id say Arcadia is bloody expensive though and on top of that you need to pay a load of good DJs to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MadYaker wrote: »
    Im not sure if we really need another thread for this but anyway.

I agree in a sense and why I stated that we keep it to simply pointing out improvements that could be made and not general discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

the festival can't control the price of drinks at the bars.

The festival could choose to only sell contracts for alcohol sales under the condition drinks are sold at a certain maximum price. It would then be up to Heineken or whoever to choose to pay that amount for that contract with that limitation. Obviously a contract with such a limitation would go for less than one without so it would cost the festival money. Considering the festival sells out as is I'd imagine they've no interest in changing this.

• Advertisement

They could introduce a term like that into the contract but then the likes of Heineken, Tiger etc (ie beers that most people will drink) will have no interst and we'll end up with someone like Bavaria, Carling or Fosters selling pints of piss for a fiver. I'm not sure which is worse. It wouldn't affect me anyway as I don't buy pints in the arena. But hey maybe if Heineken lost the contract the sound atlas would be gone with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The biggest difference they could make, but there's a slim to no chance of it happening, would be to bring in a free flow alcohol policy.

The difference between Body & Soul 2013 and 2014 was huge. Much more relaxed vibe about the place, nobody getting hammered in the campsite at 5pm, no 20min queues at peak times when trying to get back into the arena etc

They could introduce a term like that into the contract but then the likes of Heineken, Tiger etc (ie beers that most people will drink) will have no interst and we'll end up with someone like Bavaria, Carling or Fosters selling pints of piss for a fiver. I'm not sure which is worse. It wouldn't affect me anyway as I don't buy pints in the arena. But hey maybe if Heineken lost the contract the sound atlas would be gone with them!

Tbf I think Heineken isn't far off piss anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The biggest difference they could make, but there's a slim to no chance of it happening, would be to bring in a free flow alcohol policy.

The difference between Body & Soul 2013 and 2014 was huge. Much more relaxed vibe about the place, nobody getting hammered in the campsite at 5pm, no 20min queues at peak times when trying to get back into the arena etc

Me personally, id pay +€100 on my ticket for free flow.

I wonder what the Heineken deal is worth to them? I mean like if it was 3M thats only €54 onto the ticket price. It would be magic, i feel it would really make a huge difference to the vibe and atmospheric!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Mr.S wrote: »

Contactless payments at all vendors would be great, or a cashless payment system, but that's just me being picky.

It's a difficult one, how to get hundreds of thousands/millions of seemless transitions in a field without a hitch! Its a big risk because once announced punters wont have as much cash on them and will be completely reliant on cards. If it does go down the bar profits are shot!!
    I think we need to see this technology at one off outdoor gigs in Ireland first.

Personally the current system doesn't bother me, but contactless would cut down on short changing at the bars + reduce the amount of cash on site which makes tent ransacking less appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Fatfrog wrote: »
    It's a difficult one, how to get hundreds of thousands/millions of seemless transitions in a field without a hitch! Its a big risk because once announced punters wont have as much cash on them and will be completely reliant on cards. If it does go down the bar profits are shot!!
    I think we need to see this technology at one off outdoor gigs in Ireland first.

Personally the current system doesn't bother me, but contactless would cut down on short changing at the bars + reduce the amount of cash on site which makes tent ransacking less appealing.

Works well at Sziget where it's exclusively contactless. So much easier for both staff and festival goers.

Good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Here's my list Try and police the entry of youngsters a lot better.
    Gerrup outta that with policing people coming. The bambinos are as entitled go to the picnic as anyone else. I spoke to my teenage cousin afterward and I don't think we saw any of the same acts. Leave the kiddies have their fun
    Dtp1979 wrote:
    I'm not a GAA fan but this years showing in the tent was abysmal. It's 90mins, it's not that long.
    Go to stradbally to watch the match. GAA is part of normal life and i thank them for keeping it kept strictly separate from the picnic weekend. I would have liked to see the Leinster match too but I was glad they didn't show sports.
    Dtp1979 wrote:
    Me personally I'd like to see more metal/rock acts. It's a huge place and I feel metal deserves a spot somewhere.
    It's not a metal festival. Go to a metal festival for metal. It doesn't have to be all things to all men. It's broad enough don't you think?

As for the drinks, it's not a real ale festival either. The common lagers are all brewed the exact same way and taste as similar as the manufactures can possibly make them taste (p1ss in my opinion but I still had a few) they only compete in terms of branding. You won't get choice of a decent ale so there's no point whinging.

More wood chips on stand by would be good. they could put extra chips down if it rains and begins to turn sloppy.

Toilets were kept in great condition this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Campervan toilets need an upgrade in terms of numbers and frequency of cleaning. Found all other toilets to be fine.
    Free flow would be great and really worked at body and soul
    Otherwise, there's not too much else, music is subjective but I do think they've reached (or slightly exceeded) comfortable capacity.

Gerrup outta that with policing people coming. The bambinos are as entitled go to the picnic as anyone else. I spoke to my teenage cousin afterward and I don't think we saw any of the same acts. Leave the kiddies have their fun

Go to stradbally to watch the match. GAA is part of normal life and i thank them for keeping it kept strictly separate from the picnic weekend. I would have liked to see the Leinster match too but I was glad they didn't show sports.

It's not a metal festival. Go to a metal festival for metal. It doesn't have to be all things to all men. It's broad enough don't you think?

As for the drinks, it's not a real ale festival either. The common lagers are all brewed the exact same way and taste as similar as the manufactures can possibly make them taste (p1ss in my opinion but I still had a few) they only compete in terms of branding. You won't get choice of a decent ale so there's no point whinging.

More wood chips on stand by would be good. they could put extra chips down if it rains and begins to turn sloppy.

Toilets were kept in great condition this year.

I'm not a gaa fan. Just thought it was lousy on the gaa fans who wanted to watch it. It's only 90 minutes. They did a big screen last year. I was talking about points that might improve the picnic for the people there. Having loads of people giving out about the match is clearly something that could be changed. Why piss people off?
    As for metal, I always thought it was a music festival. Metal is music too. House techno garage or whatever to me is painful to listen to and is all over the picnic, but each to their own. I'm just asking for a little more balance, not to have the place over ran by metal heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Move the Jerry Fish stage so it doesn't get obliterated by Sound Atlas (or just move Sound Atlas).

Some sort of coherent layout and signposting in the red car park.

Otherwise, grand.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    I'm not a gaa fan. Just thought it was lousy on the gaa fans who wanted to watch it. It's only 90 minutes. They did a big screen last year.

I disagree. It's not about sports and other elements if real life. I live the fact that the normal dividing lines of real life are excluded from the picnic. I'll give up my sports and catch the report afterwards. If I want to see a sports event/work related event or anything else from normal life tgen IL make arrangements to get those things off site.
    Dtp1979 wrote:
    I was talking about points that might improve the picnic for the people there. Having loads of people giving out about the match is clearly something that could be changed. Why piss people off?

Let them be pissed off or make arrangements to see the match in town or maybe leave early and go to the match. Everyone there is an adult and can arrange their own entertainment. It's not a funfair
    Dtp1979 wrote:
    As for metal, I always thought it was a music festival. Metal is music too. House techno garage or whatever to me is painful to listen to and is all over the picnic, but each to their own. I'm just asking for a little more balance, not to have the place over ran by metal heads

It isn't balanced. Nobody suggested it should tickle all musical fancies. It's not a metal festival or a classical music festival or a Peruvian pipe music festival. It's not even a strictly music festival. I'm fine with it the way it is. The theatre and spoken word still was great. Don't mind trying to include even more music.

I

It isn't balanced. Nobody suggested it should tickle all musical fancies. It's not a metal festival or a classical music festival or a Peruvian pipe music festival. It's not even a strictly music festival. I'm fine with it the way it is. The theatre and spoken word still was great. Don't mind trying to include even more music.

Same here. You won't see Download booking DBFC, nor should they feel the need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I disagree. It's not about sports and other elements if real life. I live the fact that the normal dividing lines of real life are excluded from the picnic. I'll give up my sports and catch the report afterwards. If I want to see a sports event/work related event or anything else from normal life tgen IL make arrangements to get those things off site.

Let them be pissed off or make arrangements to see the match in town or maybe leave early and go to the match. Everyone there is an adult and can arrange their own entertainment. It's not a funfair

i'd be 100% in favour of them scrapping theatre and spoken word and showing major sporting events properly (rather than the unoffical hodge-podge at the moment), and having more metal music.

Move the Jerry Fish stage so it doesn't get obliterated by Sound Atlas (or just move Sound Atlas).

Some sort of coherent layout and signposting in the red car park.

Otherwise, grand.

if by "move Sound Atlas" you mean "get rid of Sound Atlas", then I'm with you.

• Advertisement

It has a Ferris wheel, bumper cars and rollercoaster, so yes it's a fun fair :).
    But seriously, not to go on about gaa, but they could easily accomadate the fans. They did so in 2015. Made a balls of it this year. And as for music, i don't see why it can't cater for a wider spectrum. It seems fairly one sided at the moment except for the odd non techno group

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It has a Ferris wheel, bumper cars and rollercoaster, so yes it's a fun fair :).
    But seriously, not to go on about gaa, but they could easily accomadate the fans. They did so in 2015. Made a balls of it this year. And as for music, i don't see why it can't cater for a wider spectrum. It seems fairly one sided at the moment except for the odd non techno group

Caught the bus from Stradbally to Carlow on the Monday afternoon, bus driver was from outside Stradbally and told me all the publicans there objected to the big screen after last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Caught the bus from Stradbally to Carlow on the Monday afternoon, bus driver was from outside Stradbally and told me all the publicans there objected to the big screen after last year.

And rightly so, that town supports the festival crew throughout the three weeks leading up to that event (lifeline for the festival) and want to be able make something out of it, themselves. Can you blame them. I've often walked into the town as its nice to drink the occasional pint of Guinness from the tap in a glass too. Someone mentioned that Murphys was available in the main arena, was there in fact Murphys on sale there?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

And rightly so, that town supports the festival crew throughout the three weeks leading up to that event (lifeline for the festival) and want to be able make something out of it, itself. Can you blame them. I've often walked into the town as its nice to drink the occasional pint of Guinness from the tap in a glass too. Someone mentioned that Murphys was available in the main arena, was there in fact Murphys on sale there?

Yeah there was. In the corridor of food there was a red bar with a pair of eyes painted sbove it that sold Murphys.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

BRING. BACK. ARCADIA!!

God, I loved that place..

i'd be 100% in favour of them scrapping theatre and spoken word and showing major sporting events properly (rather than the unoffical hodge-podge at the moment), and having more metal music.

Lots of people go for the spoken word stuff.

EP is 3 days of the year. GAA and the rest of normal life is 362 days of the year and ne'er the twain shall meet. Seriously the picnic is about escaping real life. If you want normal life, go off site. There's no reason at all to bring normal life on the site.
    if by "move Sound Atlas" you mean "get rid of Sound Atlas", then I'm with you.

Lots of people go for sound atlas too, not including me. Its close to Hendrix so it keeps the Bambinos contained.

The event was great this year. These suggestions would serve to make it bland, normal and a bit boring.

EP is 3 days of the year. GAA and the rest of normal life is 362 days of the year and ne'er the twain shall meet. Seriously the picnic is about escaping real life. If you want normal life, go off site. There's no reason at all to bring normal life on the site.

Lots of people go for sound atlas too, not including me. Its close to Hendrix so it keeps the Bambinos contained.

The event was great this year. These suggestions would serve to make it bland, normal and a bit boring.

very few people go for Sound Atlas given how sparsely populated it always is, and it's not near Hendrix either, it's the opposite side of the site.
    i don't think EP was bland, boring and "normal" before they introduced Sound Atlas and all manner of sh1tty tacky corporate stalls by the dozen over the last few years.

as for the spoken word thing, that's great. i don't though, and going on previous years, there's far more people who are interested in seeing GAA/sports at EP than spoken word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

And rightly so, that town supports the festival crew throughout the three weeks leading up to that event (lifeline for the festival) and want to be able make something out of it, itself. Can you blame them. I've often walked into the town as its nice to drink the occasional pint of Guinness from the tap in a glass too. Someone mentioned that Murphys was available in the main arena, was there in fact Murphys on sale there?

Yep, they had Murphy's in the bar beside the snug. It wasn't bad either! (coming from a Guinness drinker).

very few people go for Sound Atlas given how sparsely populated it always is

I dunno buddy, it was rammed every time I went past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness to the organisers, I think they go above and beyond by even showing the match. If you're that desperate to see it you can, albeit in a packed tent. But if that really bothers you that much you can walk down to the town and watch it. I think one of the pubs had a big outdoor thing setup? Or least it sounded like that when I was getting stuff out of the car on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I'll start off by saying the toilets were an improvement on last year so no complaints there.

Was disappointed with Anachronica and it didn't seem like a proper rave in the woods. Did it have earlier finishing times compared to last year? Seemed that way.

+1 on being stricter with minors. Definitely saw an increase in the amount of 15/16 year olds compared to last year.

Advertisement