Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric picnic improvements

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If the Picnic adopted Funktion-One soundsystems you wouldn't get near as bad sound bleed in the main arena, they are one of the few soundsystems that have a rich sound with great bass but that you can actually have a conversation as well over without annoying your fellow listening neighbour. That is the sign of a good sound system. Logic was blaring loud and the same with the music coming from the carnival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Caught the bus from Stradbally to Carlow on the Monday afternoon, bus driver was from outside Stradbally and told me all the publicans there objected to the big screen after last year.

And rightly so, that town supports the festival crew throughout the three weeks leading up to that event (lifeline for the festival) and want to be able make something out of it, themselves. Can you blame them. I've often walked into the town as its nice to drink the occasional pint of Guinness from the tap in a glass too. Someone mentioned that Murphys was available in the main arena, was there in fact Murphys on sale there?
    Yes at the supposed 'craft beer' stall that had Moretti, Cute Hoor, Murphys Red & others. And the Murphys was cheaper than Heineken & other beers, also not a bad pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Lots of people go for the spoken word stuff.

EP is 3 days of the year. GAA and the rest of normal life is 362 days of the year and ne'er the twain shall meet. Seriously the picnic is about escaping real life. If you want normal life, go off site. There's no reason at all to bring normal life on the site.

Lots of people go for sound atlas too, not including me. Its close to Hendrix so it keeps the Bambinos contained.

The event was great this year. These suggestions would serve to make it bland, normal and a bit boring.

very few people go for Sound Atlas given how sparsely populated it always is, and it's not near Hendrix either, it's the opposite side of the site.
    i don't think EP was bland, boring and "normal" before they introduced Sound Atlas and all manner of sh1tty tacky corporate stalls by the dozen over the last few years.

as for the spoken word thing, that's great. i don't though, and going on previous years, there's far more people who are interested in seeing GAA/sports at EP than spoken word.
    There are probably far more people interested in seeing Mixed Martial Arts than listening to John Banville & Roddy Doyle. Can we thus get some cage-fighting on site next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    There are probably far more people interested in seeing Mixed Martial Arts than listening to John Banville & Roddy Doyle. Can we thus get some cage-fighting on site next year?

Well if it becomes more like Oxygen you might be able to see some in the Hendrix campsite!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just on the GAA thing, 10 years ago at Oxygen I put a GAA match onto one of the big screens, The one in the campsite. Stuck up a sat dish and a sky box and we had a good crowd too. Thing was someone from RTE was watching and the boss got a bill a few weeks later. Said he would never do it again. Its the only big screen company in Ireland so don't think he would try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Seathrun66 wrote:

Propose that if you like. I wouldn't support it.

EP has always had a particular demographic. It has adopted some of the Oxygen and Slane demographics since they ended. I don't think they should fundamentally change the formula. Why would they?

Improve the event but there no need to orientate it to the lowest common denominator. Why not create a second event to fill the Oxygen space?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Seathrun66 wrote: »

if there's enogh of a demand for it, then sure.
    Propose that if you like. I wouldn't support it.

EP has always had a particular demographic. It has adopted some of the Oxygen and Slane demographics since they ended. I don't think they should fundamentally change the formula. Why would they?

Improve the event but there no need to orientate it to the lowest common denominator. Why not create a second event to fill the Oxygen space?

yes, the demographic which was established in the early years when they used to show GAA on a big screen in the cinema tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'm siding with the anti-sports big screen crew even though i watched the hurling final last year.

The town is a 15min walk away if you want to see a match that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It seems fairly one sided at the moment except for the odd non techno group

This implies that it is a largely a techno festival?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

My take on things, having gone since 2010.

Global Green, which had some good stuff this year, was a little overshadowed by the funfair (and music coming from it).

Likewise with Jerry Fish stage. I attempted it a few times, but the noise bleed from the boom boom stage (where E-lites was) was too much, and it's close to sound atlas too.

The same with the DJ at the entrance of B&S (at trailer park) and the opposite corner (diagonally). The little stages close to them were drowned out as a result.

No issue with the boom boom, but it's all about location, and I feel the organisers need to really look at the layout / stage positioning for next year.

Hazelwood was a great addition, and the arty, and DJ area beside it.

I'm really old, if you're a teen / 20 something, and that's fine cos the festival still has lots to offer me.

I am a little concerned about the stuff that's been reported about Hendrix et al though.
    I've heard a few stories about a 'near miss' where if a drunk/wasted girl hadn't been found by her friends in time or taken in by good souls, then they could have been really taken advantage of.
    People sh1tting and p1ssing on surrounding tents, robbing tents, aggro etc. I've no idea what the solution is, other than huge security in the campsites.

I feel the festival would have a much better atmosphere if the above were addressed.
    ie being able to hear the music at the stage you're at without it being ruined from noise bleed, and feeling safe in the camp sites when you're sleeping or trying to relax.
    The above doesn't sound like too much to ask, but seems to be getting further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Jimi Hendrix campsite is absolutely massive. If they could somehow split it into 3 smaller ones and have a bit more security a lot of the madness would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

as for the spoken word thing, that's great. i don't though, and going on previous years, there's far more people who are interested in seeing GAA/sports at EP than spoken word.

Sure but EP has absolutely nothing to do with sport. Song, poetry discussion all have a common theme. GAA songs or a discussion about has in music might have an argument but just showing sports is silly. EP and the all Ireland clash. That's it.

There's no need to make EP a bland beige event that tries to cater to all conceivable tastes. It's spike and goes out if it's way to be particularly good at particular genres. Sports isn't one of them. Isn't that ok? Isn't it what makes it great?
    yes, the demographic which was established in the early years when they used to show GAA on a big screen in the cinema tent.
    Fair enough. I wouldn't argue to bring it back. It sounds like there are broaden issues than simple preference so it's moot anyway.

Advertisement