Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freehub or something else?

Options
  • 18-09-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

I've already had one freehub replaced under warranty on my Giant Defy 1, but it looks like I'm back having issues...

Lubed the chain during the week and then locked and loaded the bike ahead of a race I was supposed to do yesterday (was sick so didn't end up racing). Went to bring in the bike this afternoon, and rolling the bike forward the pedals are turning, and when I went to back pedal by hand it wouldn't. A couple of revolutions forward, and all appears fine again.

So is that "normal" after the bike has been sat for a week/ a few days? If not, could it be something other than the freehub? What should I check if it could be something else?

I clean the bike, chain and cassette after most spins (definitely any wet ones), but nothing more than muc off/ no more dirty bike on the cassette, and since the last issue I've been more cautious even with the chain. I don't power wash the bike. When I've double checked with on-line advice/ videos I seem to be doing as per the advice. So if it is only likely to be the freehub, it looks like another warranty claim (and a personal black mark against Giant tbh!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Possibly one or more of the pawls are stuck open. Take the freehub off, clean it thoroughly and smear a little heavy oil or light grease on the pawls and re-assemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I'd stop washing your cassette while its on the back wheel.All that muc off and water your using to rinse it off is getting into the freehub bearings and washing out the lube.Classic case of gross user error,seen this loads of times in the bikeshop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Think I'm having the same issue. Using a foam spray recommended by the LBS. When out cycling the freehub is fine but when walking the bike the pedals spin. Less than 6 months old. Should I just service it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd stop washing your cassette while its on the back wheel.All that muc off and water your using to rinse it off is getting into the freehub bearings and washing out the lube.Classic case of gross user error,seen this loads of times in the bikeshop.
    Couple of sprays of muc off and a low pressure hose rinse is enough to damage a couple months old freehub? Same weekly regime hasn't had the same effect on 3 or 4 year old carrera, that was and is used as a commuter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Couple of sprays of muc off and a low pressure hose rinse is enough to damage a couple months old freehub? Same weekly regime hasn't had the same effect on 3 or 4 year old carrera, that was and is used as a commuter!

I clean mine once a week (approx every 250km) using foam and a wet scrubbing brush. I'm surprised too.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    I clean mine once a week (approx every 250km) using foam and a wet scrubbing brush. I'm surprised too.
    Seals must be rubbish - like I said, this will be the second time after one warranty replacement already. I guess the back wheel is going back in tomorrow...

Well LBS weren't going with "gross user error" when I told them what I was using and how, so we'll see what they come back with!

Seals must be rubbish - like I said, this will be the second time after one warranty replacement already. I guess the back wheel is going back in tomorrow...

I don't see how it's a warranty issue when you are actually causing the problem? There is no need to wash the cassette/freehub on a regular basis unless your using the bike in very muddy conditions.

I don't see how it's a warranty issue when you are actually causing the problem? There is no need to wash the cassette/freehub on a regular basis unless your using the bike in very muddy conditions.
    I'm not saying it is or isn't. All I can tell them is what I have been doing, which I did honestly. Up to them, and then the manufacturer if they go that route. There was no issue first time around, but tbh if it is something I am doing, I'd rather know (and won't have an issue paying for) and not do it again! But just to repeat it's the same regime I've been doing on my old bike, without issue, for years.

Genuine question - Should I be only cleaning the chain regularly? So not bother with the cassette, jockey wheels, chain rings? Or not even bother with the chain? I thought keeping them clean was important for wear and efficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Genuine question - Should I be only cleaning the chain regularly? So not bother with the cassette, jockey wheels, chain rings? Or not even bother with the chain? I thought keeping them clean was important for wear and efficiency?

For me it is good lubrication that is the most important thing to do, but that means cleaning first. No point in putting good lubrication on dirt.

You need to clean the dirt and grime of the chain first. I also do the cassette and jockey wheels, otherwise once you lube the chain the dirt will just transfer from these to the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well LBS weren't going with "gross user error" when I told them what I was using and how, so we'll see what they come back with!

Unless your using a power hose to wash down your bike, washing your bike shouldn't cause problems to a freehub.

I'm not saying it is or isn't. All I can tell them is what I have been doing, which I did honestly. Up to them, and then the manufacturer if they go that route. There was no issue first time around, but tbh if it is something I am doing, I'd rather know (and won't have an issue paying for) and not do it again! But just to repeat it's the same regime I've been doing on my old bike, without issue, for years.

I clean my chain regularly, first of all simply run it through a dry cloth, then I use a homemade brush thingy to clean between links and then clean the cassette with a dry brush to simply remove any larger pieces of dirt. Then I lube the chain only. Have never had s problem with the freehub on any set of wheels or bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I clean the chain and cassette. I dont bother too much with jockey wheels. I use Fenwicks foaming degreaser. I spray it onto a nylon scrubbing brush and then scrub the cassette, chain and chainrings. I then rinse it off with a hose. Then i use a sponge to clean the chain and chainrings.

Advertisement