Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadbaiting rods

Options
  • 18-09-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Starting to get into winter, I would like to get a deadbaiting rod I'd like it to be cheap but be a good rod, Not fishing massive lakes normally small to medium size lakes, with some decent pike, What rod would ye suggest max would be 80 euro!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Ive been using a pair of fox warrior 2 3/4 lb rods for the last 3 years. I cant fault them at all, should get one for under €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Great what foot size should i get ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

most people use 12 foot rods

A sound will get a 12fter So any more suggestions lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

A sound will get a 12fter So any more suggestions lads?

What rods do you have already?
    If you have a lure/spinning/jerk bait rod it will do fine.

Even lure fishing you have a chance of getting a 20lb+ fish so if it can handle that, it can handle anything deadbaiting can throw at it.

Unless you're planning on using very large baits. Even then, with a bit of care, your current rod will be fine.

Don't gdt too caught up in a special rod for everything.

• Advertisement

Yea thanks, At the moment I'm using a 9fter for deadbaiting not perfect, As I'm planning on fishing a new lakes that's fairly Big, I was looking at a Fox warrior s deadbait rod 12lb 3lb test. around 70e

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    What rods do you have already?
    If you have a lure/spinning/jerk bait rod it will do fine.

That's what I used when I was a kid, and caught plenty of pike in fairness. Its not ideal though, you need a strong spinning rod to be able to cast a dead bait, and a 2-4oz lead. The action of a spinning rod is a lot stiffer and faster than a dead baiting rod, because of this, the more power you put into the cast, the greater chance of cracking off the dead bait.

Yea thanks, At the moment I'm using a 9fter for deadbaiting not perfect, As I'm planning on fishing a new lakes that's fairly Big, I was looking at a Fox warrior s deadbait rod 12lb 3lb test. around 70e

12 foot would be a standard size for all dead baiting rods. You can get some up to 13 feet, however unless you are fishing constantly at large distances they are not needed. Also, getting a rod bag to hold a 13 foot rod can be a pain, as they are in 2 * 6.5 feet sections. Thats a good price, think I paid 150 for the pair of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JOhnty78

You can get deadbaiting rods from 11 to 13ft but stick to 12. If you ever need to buy a rod bag or case most will be made for 12ft. Plus 12ft works nicely, youll find a big difference to the 9ft. Anything between 2.75lb and 3lb casting weight should be fine.

I use a couple of Savage Gear MPP rods and find them great, these ones. Theyre well able for casting large baits and powerful enough to deal with specimen pike.

Stick with something like Savage Gear, Fox or Greys whatever you do. Dont be going getting a carp rod, theyre not designed for casting deadbaits and a few ounces of lead.

sound lads for the advice,

I went for a Fox Warroir S 2.75lb test curve,

now Just one other question, I have a pretty expensive reel that i used for deadbaiting would it be okay, Also I might get some new line what lb line would you suggest?

What reel is it?

Braid or mono is the question regarding line. There are pluses and negatives to both. Personally I use 20lb mono but might give braid a go this winter. If using braid use something in the region of 40-65lb. Its a lot thinner than mono and the breaking points are exaggerated a lot on braid for some reason.
    There is zero point in going for light line. The pike are not going to care and you want to give yourself every chance of retrieving your rig if you get snagged up.

• Advertisement

Im actually away at the minute from all my fishing gear Sorry, I do have some 40lb power pro line yellow That i really like And would be able to fit a lot of line on my Reel1

Is a a bait runner? Bait runner reels are very handy for pike fishing (but not necessary).
    Shimano and Okuma are good reels as an example.

40lb PowerPro will do fine. Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? A lot of fake PowerPro doing the rounds that you'd want to be careful of.

Got it from a Big usa company Tackle warehouse! I might go along and use it, It's not a bait runner whats the advantages over a bait runner?

Power pro is great braid, 40lb is ideal.

Great will throw it on the reel, now how's casting with these big rods I'm only a teen so would it be a big hassle like compared to 9fters and 10fters? I've never used a rod like this.

Thanks

A baitrunner is handy in that you can flick a switch and the reel will give line if needed. Winding back will switch it off. It's useful in many situations, especially for pike. If you're float fishing etc.. But it's not absolutely necessary, especially if you're on alarms.

You'll look at the 12ft rod first and think it's massive, especially if you're inside the house. Rods look massive inside! But after a few outings if you pick up the 9ft rod you'll think it's tiny.

Great, Im not using a ledger rig with alarms, Thanks for all the advice lads, The rod should be here friday!

Had a few problems with the delivery but finally I have the rod my god what a rod it is I put on a 4oz weight to see what it casts like and it flies haven't fished with it yet, but will be next Saturday, just another question I'm looking again for another deadbait rod ( for close in) but cheaper like under 40 euro I was looking at Shakespeare Sigma rod and what reels what ye suggest nothing expensive but would last ! I'm probably going to put mono on it as I will not be casting out far less than 40 yards or so. Probably going to get the same alarm again but not sure I might have to get a carp style Alarm any suggestions??

Thanks

Advertisement