Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aural/ Cluastuiscint/Listening help

Options
  • 18-09-2016 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Basically I'm dreadful at the listening parts of the Spanish and Irish exams. I'm okayish in the Irish but I go to a gaelscoil and the amount I'm getting right really isn't showing it. The Spanish one is dreadful though and I'm lucky to get 50% right.

I'm grand at every other part of the test (as far and I know) but I'm just struggling a lot with them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Rorok wrote: »
    Basically I'm dreadful at the listening parts of the Spanish and Irish exams. I'm okayish in the Irish but I go to a gaelscoil and the amount I'm getting right really isn't showing it. The Spanish one is dreadful though and I'm lucky to get 50% right.

I'm grand at every other part of the test (as far and I know) but I'm just struggling a lot with them

What I tell my students - practice, practice, practice.

Don't worry about understanding everything in the aural exam - read the paper and underline exactly what's asked. If for example you have a multiple choice question, try and translate the words you know and try and listen for them - if they're there great - if not it will be the words that you don't know - take a guess - you might be right.

Duolingo is good and free and I think they do Irish now.

Listen to the CDs without looking at exam papers - how much do you understand? Listening with the CD script is also useful.

Not sure about resources for Spanish but I would recommend watching TG4 etc. for Irish.

The more you listen, the more progress you will make. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would recommend listening to Irish or Spanish while reading along at the same time. That will help you understand how things are pronounced. It really is all about practicing and listening to the languages as much as possible. I find it useful to watch TV while reading subtitles in the same language. You could find Spanish films or kids TV shows with subtitles and listen while reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Start listening to music through Irish/Spanish and start watching films through them too (English subtitles will help too)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lea33

music and movies/tv shows do help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Tbh I started eating german sausages and foods regularly from Germany. It doesn't help with the "language" so much as it does with engaging in the culture. It's like a constant reminder to think about the German language, and will help you write about the foods when you sit the exam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement