Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I think Mayo have played as well as they can, I don't think they will be able to produce that performance again, And Dublin will not play as bad as the did last time out.

So Dublin will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think Mayo have played as well as they can, I don't think they will be able to produce that performance again, And Dublin will not play as bad as the did last time out.

So Dublin will win.

Good to know. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Rainman16 wrote:

Rainman16 wrote:
    So Dublin will win.

I don't think that. I think Mayo will win. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

AH Man!

It's getting more hilarious by the hour.Ex Mayo greats coming out now and complaining about the treatment of Keegan by the media.
    It is like pouring pertrol on a fire.Maurice Deegan would want to be living like a monk not to be aware of this hullabaloo.

Keegan is a marked man now

The 12-1 on Keegan been red carded is becoming more tastiy by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

AH Man!

It's getting more hilarious by the hour.Ex Mayo greats coming out now and complaining about the treatment of Keegan by the media.
    It is like pouring pertrol on a fire.Maurice Deegan would want to be living like a monk not to be aware of this hullabaloo.

Well off you go with your bet. LOL
    A fool and his money and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

AH Man!

Lee conned ordinary decent Dub fans into making losing bets on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

I am happy enough with the bet Panrich.

My advice to Leeroy would be

Steady Boy!

Steady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

#ThingsLeeDid is the best thing to come out of the whole thing. At least it kept me going at work today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

]

Connolly (runaway favourite) at 15/2 to be red carded looks about right. Far better value to be had on Philly McMahon at a very generous 16/1. But Johnny Cooper at a quite incredible 33/1 looks like the bet of the week. If two 'rogues' have ever rode their luck as much as these latter two I've never come across them. Get on it, Charles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Connolly (runaway favourite) at 15/2 to be red carded looks about right. Far better value to be had on Philly McMahon at a very generous 16/1. But Johnny Cooper at a quite incredible 33/1 looks like the bet of the week. If two 'rogues' have ever rode their luck as much as these latter two I've never come across them. Get on it, Charles.

What the odds on Big Mick entering the fray?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pitch-invader-wanted-to-know-what-ref-was-at-30551307.html

AH Man!

Less and less chance of Keegan getting sent off now. The orchestrated smear campaign by ex Dublin players/media has been highlighted alot over the past few days on radio and twitter.

If Maurice Deegan does penalise Keegan now be will be seen as been in Dublins pockets. The whinging about Keegan is really starting to backfire on Dublin at this stage :).
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/connolly-is-no-saint-either-and-the-dubs-are-giving-out-because-he-is-not-playing-well-for-them-especially-against-mayo-35088080.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Less and less chance of Keegan getting sent off now. The orchestrated smear campaign by ex Dublin players/media has been highlighted alot over the past few days on radio and twitter.

If Maurice Deegan does penalise Keegan now be will be seen as been in Dublins pockets. Its really starting to backfire on Dublin at this stage :).
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/connolly-is-no-saint-either-and-the-dubs-are-giving-out-because-he-is-not-playing-well-for-them-especially-against-mayo-35088080.html

Wow.

So if Keegan does anything that warrants punishment he shouldn't be penalised as it will show referee bias?

As bad as some of the stuff wrytten in this thread the last fortnight has been that takes the biscuit.

And I'm sure the whole "orchestrated" effort has backfired and it will have gotten into the reigning all Ireland champions' and 4 time league champions' heads in such a way they won't be able to get up for it. Dublin have shown nothing except mental weakness almost year I'm sure you've noticed.

If Mayo win on Saturday (which they won't imo) it'll be because they were the better team not because of this "campaign".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

bit saddo to be discussing whos gonna be sent off. Is that part of the appeal of the GAA? Who will lose the head?

Never heard before a big Champions League match or World cup final talk about the odds for the first red card, or who will be sinbinned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    bit saddo to be discussing whos gonna be sent off. Is that part of the appeal of the GAA? Who will lose the head?

Never heard before a big Champions League match or World cup final talk about the odds for the first red card, or who will be sinbinned.

I agree with first part (but to a point it's a legitimate basis for a bet on the match. )

Also plenty of talk amongst betting fraternities about sending offs in big soccer games. The chances of getting sent off in GAA are sadly getting increasingly bigger

I won't bet on the game Im shouting for a team in but generally sending off punts are a big thing in sports betting.
    Doesn't devalue you as a supporter in anyway

But take it to the gambling forums!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Not really a sending off could be key in the game and there are a few players on each team that could be liable to do something stupid.

I don't see what odds on sending off in soccer has anything to do with GAA, it's a different sport and there is regular discussion about certain players chances of getting sent off in soccer as well.

Wow.

So if Keegan does anything that warrants punishment he shouldn't be penalised as it will show referee bias?

As bad as some of the stuff wrytten in this thread the last fortnight has been that takes the biscuit.

And I'm sure the whole "orchestrated" effort has backfired and it will have gotten into the reigning all Ireland champions' and 4 time league champions' heads in such a way they won't be able to get up for it. Dublin have shown nothing except mental weakness almost year I'm sure you've noticed.

If Mayo win on Saturday (which they won't imo) it'll be because they were the better team not because of this "campaign".

That's not what he said though, is it? Nor did he say Dublin were mentally weak or anything of the sort.The point is about the Dublin whining re poor "Dermo"/bad Keegan and a level of whining from Dublin that is pretty unprecedented. Not even the Kerry media mafia and their various bete noirs like Ryan McMenamin or Noel O'Leary ever put such a concerted focus on one player. No ref will want to be accused of bowing to pressure like that. In any event, of the 2 only Connolly deserved to be sent off the last day and I think Deegan is the sort to not want to send anybody off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Leeroy wouldn't have gotten a box in the face of he wasn't acting the prick.

Play with fire etc.

kona wrote: »
    Leeroy wouldn't have gotten a box in the face of he wasn't acting the prick.

Play with fire etc.

Yep, the box in the face that Connolly gave Keegan - red card.
    The off-the-ball pull down on Keegan by Connolly as Keegan was trying to join an attack - black card.

But all we've heard is a torrent , a tsunami, of Dublin whining about Keegan. God knows how the Dubs would react if they ever had a player eye-gouged or bitten. Or if , say, Diarmuid O'Connor tried to break Johnny Cooper's leg or Colm Boyle rained down a flurry of punches on the head of Philly McMahon as he was on the ground underneath him right in front of the referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

But all we've heard is a torrent , a tsunami, of Dublin whining about Keegan.

This suits you lads grand, at least if Keegan does get sent off you can easily blame the "dublin media" instead of looking closer to home ;)

Yep, the box in the face that Connolly gave Keegan - red card.
    The off-the-ball pull down on Keegan by Connolly as Keegan was trying to join an attack - black card.

But all we've heard is a torrent , a tsunami, of Dublin whining about Keegan. God knows how the Dubs would react if they ever had a player eye-gouged or bitten. Or if , say, Diarmuid O'Connor tried to break Johnny Cooper's leg or Colm Boyle rained down a flurry of punches on the head of Philly McMahon as he was on the ground underneath him right in front of the referee.

If I was Leeroy I'd be worried. I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody clean him out with a hard borderline fair shoulder.
    He's what I'd call a little ****. If this crap starts again nip it in the bud. Book both of them.

Menoetius wrote: »
    This suits you lads grand, at least if Keegan does get sent off you can easily blame the "dublin media" instead of looking closer to home ;)

And if Dublin lose - it was that bleedin' Keegan that'll have you crying in your "gargle" until MOTD comes on the telly.

#ThingsLeeDid

The point is about the Dublin whining re poor "Dermo"/bad Keegan and a level of whining from Dublin that is pretty unprecedented.

Yet many many Mayo posts, your own last one included, are the exact same in reverse. It's a two way thing.

You will defend your own, as will we. Nothing to get all excited about.

And if Dublin lose - it was that bleedin' Keegan that'll have you crying in your "gargle" until MOTD comes on the telly.

#ThingsLeeDid

Ah the old "dublin fans = soccer heads" gag.
    Brilliant :rolleyes:

The level of maturity on here is racing towards the bottom.

Ah the old "dublin fans = soccer heads" gag.
    Brilliant :rolleyes:

The level of maturity on here is racing towards the bottom.

You have to admire them. Most sane people would have given up after seeing their team constantly **** the bed for the guts of 60 years.

Yet many many Mayo posts, your own last one included, are the exact same in reverse. It's a two way thing.

You will defend your own, as will we. Nothing to get all excited about.

I'm not from Mayo. And it's not the tit-for-that here but the general media campaign, the like I've never seen before, being conducted by Dublin against one player that is the issue. Which is beyond hypocritical, beyond farcical when you look at the things certain Dublin players have done in the past, which were beyond disgusting, and even what Connolly himself got up to in the drawn game

You have to admire them. Most sane people would have given up after seeing their team constantly **** the bed for the guts of 60 years.

No I admire the vast majority of Mayo fans, the epitomy of "keeping the faith".

I'd love to see them finally do it, just not this week!

Don't let a few bad eggs cloud the overall picture.

I'm not from Mayo. And it's not the tit-for-that here but the general media campaign, the like I've never seen before, being conducted by Dublin against one player that is the issue. Which is beyond hypocritical, beyond farcical when you look at the things certain Dublin players have done in the past, which were beyond disgusting, and even what Connolly himself got up to in the drawn game

A few pundits giving their opinion doesn't make a "campaign conducted by Dublin".

Deep down you know this.

• Advertisement

I'm not from Mayo

Apologies on that, but on reading your previous posts it's clear you are certainly no neutral when it comes to Dublin ;)

Apologies on that, but on reading your previous posts it's clear you are certainly no neutral when it comes to Dublin ;)

My impartiality is unimpeachable. Attack the post and not the poster, auld stock. And a harmless line about MOTD and you are offended? Like on the field and in the media, great men for giving it but not taking it. Like I said, not even Kerry with their media presence ever conducted such a trial by media on one individual player - and a player who 'committed' relatively innocuous transgressions at that. If only the ex-Dubs players in the media attempted the smallest attempt at a thin veneer at being "neutral" that you demand of others it might be a start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ye are skirting the line once again! Cut the crap or the thread will be closed!

Ye are skirting the line once again! Cut the crap or the thread will be closed!

#thingsleedid

And a harmless line about MOTD and you are offended?

Ah offended is a bit of a stretch. Just pointing out a tiresome old cliche.

Anyway, I agree with the mods on this one.
    Going nowhere.

Enjoy the game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

When will the team sheets be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Saturday around 16.55 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Hi folks.

is there a valid reason why THE GAA have a final replay on a Saturday rather than the Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not really a sending off could be key in the game and there are a few players on each team that could be liable to do something stupid.

I don't see what odds on sending off in soccer has anything to do with GAA, it's a different sport and there is regular discussion about certain players chances of getting sent off in soccer as well.

And that's equally if not more true for soccer or rugby.

But I never remember once a discussion of such relish before a soccer or rugby match about what player will be sent off....sure maybe in betting fraternities.

What that says to me is that the 'scrap' is a part of the GAA (or more specifically GAA Football) - as an entertainment spectacle - in a way that it is not for Rugby or Soccer.

Not that there is any point in comparing one team sport of men kicking a ball around a field in front of large crowds with other team sports of men kicking a ball around a field in front of large crowds.....as you rightly point out......completely different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

A lot of the country very touchy about little Leeeroy. He's big enough and ugly enough to look after himself. Funny how in other years when Dublin players were being singled out in the press there was none of this outrage!!!!!!!

ArielAtom wrote: »
    A lot of the country very touchy about little Leeeroy. He's big enough and ugly enough to look after himself. Funny how in other years when Dublin players were being singled out in the press there was none of this outrage!!!!!!!

I am just touchy when people refer to him as Leeroy!!! Really irrationally irritates me!!

In fairness to Keegan, you wouldn't (really) think it looking at him in general if you weren't that accustomed to him but he is one extremely strong lad!

Its tarnishing the build up though by the media. There are near 50 other players between the two panels and 2 very interesting managers, plenty of history, a final already played 2 weeks ago and so much else to talk about and the media is obsessing (although it does have a central staging in the game) solely really on Keegan v Connolly

Epitome of lazy tabloidesque journalism

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »

also, there was severe protectionism and excuses given by Dubs fans over the years for their players like Whelan, Bastick, Vinnie Murphy, Mcmahon, Keith Barr and even Connolly, himself when pundits called them out over their behaviour often on the pitch.

I think the protectionism and defence of Keegan by Mayo fans (who are well aware of his tactical approach to Connolly) is that its highly over the top and its a nasty attack and does seem very orchestrated as the theme the media are focusing on in the lead up to the match.

Mayo fans are similarly fighting fire with fire, to borrow your phrase, by calling out former players and media outlets who are obsessing about this player like he is the first one to tug a jersey or jostle his man.

It just sets an ugly tone to the lead up to what could be an absolute classic on Saturday as these teams never seem to fail in that regard when in opposition.

I think Mayo fans response has been great, strong but excellently done by humour and sarcasm in the format of the twitter tags yesterday.

It was the proper balanced approach to what could have been a serious one sided targetting.

Again.............

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I am just touchy when people refer to him as Leeroy!!! Really irrationally irritates me!!

In fairness to Keegan, you wouldn't (really) think it looking at him in general if you weren't that accustomed to him but he is one extremely strong lad!

Its tarnishing the build up though by the media. There are near 50 other players between the two panels and 2 very interesting managers, plenty of history, a final already played 2 weeks ago and so much else to talk about and the media is obsessing (although it does have a central staging in the game) solely really on Keegan v Connolly

Chillax. Even the lad himself, calls himself Leeroy.

https://twitter.com/leeroykeegan?lang=en

That's not what we Dubs call him, but you probably already knew that. :D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Chillax. The lad himself calls himself Leeroy.

https://twitter.com/leeroykeegan?lang=en

I said it in a joking manner :D........... still hate the name though!! Doesn't mean I require to "chillax"!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gavin has said the Dublin team will be released tonight in an interview with RTÉ.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0929/820284-jim-gavin-dublin-mayo-all-ireland-final-replay/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Washout wrote: »
    Hi folks.

is there a valid reason why THE GAA have a final replay on a Saturday rather than the Sunday?

It's so that the players can have a day off after the match. They may have already had to take the Monday off after the 1st final. This way they can go to work on Monday if they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Call me Al wrote: »
    It's so that the players can have a day off after the match. They may have already had to take the Monday off after the 1st final. This way they can go to work on Monday if they want to.

Yea it's and interesting one.

The last football replay was on a Saturday because there was a compromise rules game scheduled for the Sunday.

Thre hurling finals went to replays recently and the first was scheduled for a Sunday thus pushing the ladies football final out a week, there was a bit of noise made about it so the following two years the replay was put on the Saturday evening.

Even though this replay would not clash with anything on a Sunday at HQ it may have been scheduled for Saturday cos this time of year is very busy for county finals etc, so folks could watch or go to this game and also get to their county finals on Sunday.

Yea it's and interesting one.

The last football replay was on a Saturday because there was a compromise rules game scheduled for the Sunday.

Thre hurling finals went to replays recently and the first was scheduled for a Sunday thus pushing the ladies football final out a week, there was a bit of noise made about it so the following two years the replay was put on the Saturday evening.

Even though this replay would not clash with anything on a Sunday at HQ it may have been scheduled for Saturday cos this time of year is very busy for county finals etc, so folks could watch or go to this game and also get to their county finals on Sunday.

well its 25 years this year since the Dublin Meath Leinster Final 4 game saga !!

Could be on for a few more replays this year yet!

well its 25 years this year since the Dublin Meath Leinster Final 4 game saga !!

Could be on for a few more replays this year yet!

No extra time in this game?

Another two weeks well be heading into November.

Anyway apparently it is being played Saturday as Michelle Mulherin kicked up a fuss in the Senate that she couldn't go Sunday due to a prior engagement and stated her entitlement to be at the game.............

No extra time in this game?

Another two weeks well be heading into November.

yeah, there is extra time in this game, 10 minutes aside. Not sure what the extra time details were back in 1991.

If you think about it, almost a quarter of a million attended the Leinster final that year!!

You would know your marker better than your wife after all those games!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement