Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As long as it's not another shoulder injury he'll be grand to lift Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Soooo many factors and column potential to concentrate on and the media and fans are concentrating wholly on a bit of jostling that happens in GAA games all over the country every bloody day, from Under 16 level to county level.

Agreed. You'd swear what was going on between Connolly and Keegan doesn't happen up and down the country in club matches all the time. There's absolutely nothing new or shocking about what goes on between them yet you'd be led to believe this is unprecedented by the way some people are going on. And anyway, do we not want to see a contest that has a bit of bite? Why try to sanitise it? I hope the ref just lets the play go tomorrow and isn't influenced by a lot of the over-sensitive, agenda-driven nonsense that's been spouted the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

PressRun wrote: »
    And anyway, do we not want to see a contest that has a bit of bite? .

Whoa, whoa,whoa, be careful what you wish for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

kona wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he was in his pocket. He defended very well but connolly still got scores and generally played ok.

He got scores did he? Have a check back there.

Not sure i am getting the surprise at people wondering why Keegan is getting such attention. It's simple. An attempt to influence the ref to come down hard on Keegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Maurice Deegan presenting the weather

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=261501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Not sure i am getting the surprise at people wondering why Keegan is getting such attention. It's simple. An attempt to influence the ref to come down hard on Keegan.

I think all and sundry have figured that out to be fair................

thats the point of the backlash by most football fans to it. He is being vilified in an attempt to both TRY and unsettle him and TRY and influence referees, as if they aren't aware of the jostling going on between them

It is clear that there is an element of propoganda involved given the main people who have came out about it, you would want to be naive to ignore that.

Anyway, no more, must abscond from this tedious debate!! I'm letting myself down!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

This Mayo team need the Mayo supporters to stand up and be counted like never before.We need plenty of passion to spur on our boys when they need it most, leave everything on the stand/terraces, use every ounce of energy to shout the lads on.NO SURRENDER!!!Take over the hill and have a big red and green flag the length of the hill.Dont take any nonsense from them Dubs and dont sell any spare tickets to them and

do ya know what?

we will win sam and bring it home back whesth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

He got scores did he? Have a check back there.

? Yea he did. He also laid the second goal on a plate for dean rock.

This Mayo team need the Mayo supporters to stand up and be counted like never before.We need plenty of passion to spur on our boys when they need it most, leave everything on the stand/terraces, use every ounce of energy to shout the lads on.NO SURRENDER!!!Take over the hill and have a big red and green flag the length of the hill.Dont take any nonsense from them Dubs and dont sell any spare tickets to them and

do ya know what?

we will win sam and bring it home back whesth!

Lol you have surrendered the last 65 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Anyone else think the whole line-ball thing is blown out of proportion?

Seemed to me at the time that a wide or over-the-bar effort on goal was a decent decision.

Very little time to go and, worst case scenario, Mayo with a kick out from their own goal. You would have expected Dublin to be able to hold out from there. Hand-passing around and possibly losing the ball in the centre of the field leading to a counter attack would seem a more likely scenario for conceding an equaliser.

Otherwise anonymous but for his yellow card (given) and red and black cards (not given). And you'd have been celebrating back-to-back All Irelands for the last 2 weeks but for his gloryhunting grabbing of the line ball off of Ciaran Kilkenny.

I wouldn't bash anybody for having the balls to take on scores like that. Hes capable of it and unfortunately missed. He didn't grab anything off Kilkenny Jim gavin told Kilkenny to let him have a go.
    Who knows tomorrow may come down to somebody having to stand up like connolly did. If it's connolly again I wouldn't bet on him missing twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I think all and sundry have figured that out to be fair................

thats the point of the backlash by most football fans to it. He is being vilified in an attempt to both TRY and unsettle him and TRY and influence referees, as if they aren't aware of the jostling going on between them

It is clear that there is an element of propoganda involved given the main people who have came out about it, you would want to be naive to ignore that.

Anyway, no more, must abscond from this tedious debate!! I'm letting myself down!
    Or its been a very slow week news wise in the build up to the game and a small incident gets a story and then gets legs because nothing else is happening.

Its just bored and lazy journalists bringing this story up day after day and some over senstive Mayo fans getting upset over it

Its a nothing story

elefant wrote: »
    Anyone else think the whole line-ball thing is blown out of proportion?

Seemed to me at the time that a wide or over-the-bar effort on goal was a decent decision.

Very little time to go and, worst case scenario, Mayo with a kick out from their own goal. You would have expected Dublin to be able to hold out from there. Hand-passing around and possibly losing the ball in the centre of the field leading to a counter attack would seem a more likely scenario for conceding an equaliser.

Despite what Dubs fans might think, Diarmuid Connolly is no Maurice Fitzgerald. (I can't believe I just put those two names in the same sentence). Kilkenny would likely have played a simple ball. Yes, possible Dublin would have lost the ball in those frenetic moments but working it to a better angle/distance (all the while eating up time) would have been the sensible thing and not the glory shot.

? Yea he did. He also laid the second goal on a plate for dean rock.

He scored a point. One score. Which was kicked out to him by Clarke, hit a guy's back and fell into his hands. That's it. One score. Not scores. One point and a good pass does not make a good performance for the best forward in the country on all ireland final day and you are rewriting history if you think otherwise. Hence the punches thrown at Keegan during their tussle at the end. He had been cleaned and was frustrated.

Lol you have surrendered the last 65 years.

You count every year without Sam as a surrender? That's a lot of surrendering for the county with a quarter of the country's population.

kilns wrote: »
    Or its been a very slow week news wise in the build up to the game and a small incident gets a story and then gets legs because nothing else is happening.

Its just bored and lazy journalists bringing this story up day after day and some over senstive Mayo fans getting upset over it

Its a nothing story

It hasnt been a slow news week at all. A nothing story now the referee has been roundly advised by the Dub fraternity.

Its a nothing story

It hasnt been a slow news week at all. A nothing story now the referee has been roundly advised by the Dub fraternity.
    What else has been a hot topic? How a Mayo fringe player might not be fit? The weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I just hope it's a decent game of football. The last match was the worst quality final (without an Ulster team) in many years.

• Advertisement

What else has been a hot topic? How a Mayo fringe player might not be fit? The weather?

Absolutely plenty to talk about regarding the match if media bothered their a$$es with decent non-tabloid like journalism.
    If articles and endless debates and fascination about people complaining about tugging out of a jersey are journalist's and fan's limitation's then so be it.

If the weather and a bit of jostling is all people took from that game, it's a sad state of affairs.

What about things like the impact Brogan failed to have, the unenforced errors by SOS, Peadar Andrews introduction, the manner in which Mayo took the game and altered their normal approach against Dublin.

Small things like that, player profiles, analysis of statistics from the game,, in comparison to last year. Turnovers, just little things like that. They sound boring as a topic when written down but there is good potential for such articles.

The standard of journalism the last fortnight has been lazy.

Slow news week - Ryder Cup, Sam Allardyce and football scandal. Plenty for sports journos to get their teeth into. But it wasnt sports journos pushing this really was it? It was Paul Clarke, Ciaran Whelan, Alan Brogan, Barney Rock etc who put this out there wasn't it? If there was ever a sign that Mayo were doing all the right things the last day, it has been the moaning from the Dubs since. At least the blame is now on something that actually happened on the pitch rather than the weather or the Mayo numbers on the Hill which was where the moaning started. How is the big planned boycott coming on?

Absolutely plenty to talk about regarding the match if media bothered their a$es with decent non-tabloid like journalism.
    If articles and endless debates and fascination about people complaining about tugging out of a jersey are journalist's and fan's limitation's then so be it.

If the weather and a bit of jostling is all people took from that game, it's a sad state of affairs.
    Thats the point, Ireland is full of lazy sports journalists with the exception of the very few

Its why guys like Kimmage need to be applauded

I just hope it's a decent game of football. The last match was the worst quality final (without an Ulster team) in many years.

The '05 (especially) and '08 finals involving Tyrone were the best in recent years. Drawn game this year was as compelling as them but lower quality alright.

You count every year without Sam as a surrender? That's a lot of surrendering for the county with a quarter of the country's population.

I'd count a massive extend period of winning nothing other than a poor provincial championship surrendering.

Let's face it deep down you know you will roll over Saturday. It's what mayo do. You did it last year, the year before and in 2013 you couldn't beat dublin when dublin were left with 12 players who could actually run.

Anyway, I dont think that will be the Mayo team which will start the game, I can see someone like Doherty not starting and perhaps an extra body around the half back/midfield area to further clog up that part of the pitch

The most intriging thing will be how Dublin cope with the Mayo pressure game. We now know what Mayo will bring to the table and they have laid down a marker, come and beat us if you can, so can Dublin come up with a way of breaking the Mayo pressure. I personally think James McCarthy will be a massive player for Dublin with his running game and he could be the guy to unlock the Mayo defence. If it stays dry and Mayo concede 2 goals or more, I dont think they can do it as Dublin will tag on more points in drier conditions from a longer range if needs be and Mayos forward unit are just not prolific enough.

So if its a low scoring game I think Mayo could sneak it but if Dublin get goals it could be over for Mayo and Dublin could run out more than 5 point winners due to the fact Mayo may have to come out and attack that bit more and may be picked off

• Advertisement

Anyway, I dont think that will be the Mayo team which will start the game, I can see someone like Doherty not starting and perhaps an extra body around the half back/midfield area to further clog up that part of the pitch

The most intriging thing will be how Dublin cope with the Mayo pressure game. We now know what Mayo will bring to the table and they have laid down a marker, come and beat us if you can, so can Dublin come up with a way of breaking the Mayo pressure. I personally think James McCarthy will be a massive player for Dublin with his running game and he could be the guy to unlock the Mayo defence. If it stays dry and Mayo concede 2 goals or more, I dont think they can do it as Dublin will tag on more points in drier conditions from a longer range if needs be and Mayos forward unit are just not prolific enough.

So if its a low scoring game I think Mayo could sneak it but if Dublin get goals it could be over for Mayo and Dublin could run out more than 5 point winners due to the fact Mayo may have to come out and attack that bit more and may be picked off

Weather thing is overplayed, you'd swear Dublin was Dubai and they weren't expecting any bit of damp the last day the way some are going on about it. If Dublin are to win, I think it will be big performances from some of the comparitive 'lesser lights' like Kilkenny or Andrews (if he plays, and I'd play him) or like John Small the last day that could do it because Brogan and Flynn look out of sorts and Connolly is a showpony. Aidan O'Shea was pure cack the last day, Séamie was worse, they need these two to perform.

Want a bet? Pm me with your stake.

Edit: i wont even ask for odds despite how futile the task clearly is.

What odds do you have on dublin -4

Weather thing is overplayed, you'd swear Dublin was Dubai and they weren't expecting any bit of damp the last day the way some are going on about it. If Dublin are to win, I think it will be big performances from some of the comparitive 'lesser lights' like Kilkenny or Andrews (if he plays, and I'd play him) or like John Small the last day that could do it because Brogan and Flynn look out of sorts and Connolly is a showpony. Aidan O'Shea was pure cack the last day, S amie was worse, they need these two to perform.

I think the impact the weather had was that it acted like an extra defender for both teams, when it is dry the team attacking can move at a faster pace and be more assured in their footing etc

Both teams had to play in it and both had to adjust to the conditions, Mayo adjusted much better than Dublin as their game was aided more by it as the weather effectively made the pitch seem smaller and therefore suited their pressure game. That is why I dont think they will press as high up tomorrow and will invite Dublin to the just inside their half and then pressure them and try to force a turnover and then break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

As a neutral I have to say I don't agree with all the pressure on Dublin . Most of these guys have 3 all Ireland s already . Mayo guys like Dillon Moran Higgins are playing in something like fourth and fifth all Ireland's any probably in last chance saloon . The reality is while they been great players they will have major disappointment forever if they don't do the business Tomo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

To all the posters who decided to drag this thread completely off topic, Peist, Kilns et al,

do it again, or attempt to do it again and it will be a permanent ban from here you will get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I have to say, as a Mayo man, I was a hell of a lot more confident the last day. I thought we'd catch the Dubs on the hop and we did but I'm so worried now that there'll be a massive backlash. That said, last year in the replay we were the better team for the first 55 mins so its hard to know.

Do Dublin release their "team"?

Can't recall last time, although obviously you would imagine they have to for media and programme issues.

Wonder if he would dare drop Brogan. I still think he has so much left but he seems to be lacking the usual confidence and panache and a bit less pressure in coming on in second half for Andrews may kickstart him.

Not saying he is necessarily playing bad, but we all know there is a lot more in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Showers in the east until evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

If you were a sports journalist you would be one of the lazy ones I reckon. The quality of your analysis is poor bordering on trolling.

Do Dublin release their "team"?

Can't recall last time, although obviously you would imagine they have to for media and programme issues.

Wonder if he would dare drop Brogan. I still think he has so much left but he seems to be lacking the usual confidence and panache and a bit less pressure in coming on in second half for Andrews may kickstart him.

Not saying he is necessarily playing bad, but we all know there is a lot more in him.

I think same team will start. He knows Andrews can make an impact off the bench and Brogan and kevmcm deserve another chance to redeem themselves

I think same team will start. He knows Andrews can make an impact off the bench and Brogan and kevmcm deserve another chance to redeem themselves

I wouldn't start kev mac. Andrews in instead for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

I doubt the teams will line out as selected.It's a waste of money buying a programme,I only buy them because my two young fellas like to read them and collect them.
    Personally I would be loathe to drop Brogan ,he's such a talisman,works his socks off and you might be handing the initiative to the Mayo back line.
    I would like to see Mannion and Bastick in from the start.Mannion is about 6' 2,has bulked up,pace,bundles of skill and has a great temperament.He's gotta be chumping at the bit.Bastick is solid and will put in a good shift and then bring on the fresh legs of MacCauley.For me ,MacCauley was lucky to stay on the pitch the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

Any odds on 3 own goals from Mayo?haha best of luck to both teams.Hope it's a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do you think Mayo will bate the Dubs? Do you think Mayo will bate the Dubs?
    Jayus not if they have Dermo. They haven't a hope of bating the Dubs! :)

Apologies to the saw doctors by the way!

Hope it is a good game and there is plenty of incident and talking points to analysis afterwards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7e2JtyK5C4

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I wouldn't start kev mac. Andrews in instead for me.

Yeah Gavin always makes that switch. In his head Brogan and Flynn are undropable.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Team news very late fr tbe Dubs. Changes?

Mayo 1-15
    Dublin 1-13

Cooper, black card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Mayo 1-15
    Dublin 1-13

Cooper, black card.

you wouldn't happen to have tonight's lotto number also would you?

Strong Rumours Hennelly is in goals

km79 wrote: »
    Strong Rumours Hennelly is in goals

strong rumours they are merely rumours based on nothing. They started last night by some Meath fans twitter a/c from what I can see when I followed the timeline.

strong rumours they are merely rumours based on nothing. They started last night by some Meath fans twitter a/c from what I can see when I followed the timeline.

Mayo news reporter also just tweeted
    David Brady said there are "major " changes
    Team name won't start anyway that seems certain

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo news reporter also just tweeted
    David Brady said there are "major " changes
    Team name won't start anyway that seems certain

no, he didn't he said there was "talk" around that there was serious changes.I imagine this is based on all the rumours we are hearing also, which started before the team was even named last night.
    I know he is a Mayo man, but there would be no way that would be leaked by Mayo backroom team so close to the match. (In my opinion!! ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm just ready for all this torture of trying to win back to back All Irelands to be over. Next year, Carlow or the Dubai Gaels can win it for all I care. My mental health demands it. How the entire population of Kiklenny don't all check themselves into the nearest home for the bewildered, on the first Monday in September, I'll never know.

Dubs by three. Keegan to get 2 yellows. John Small to deserve MOTM. Berno to get it.

Up The Dubs !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

"Logic screams Dublin but impulse to pick Mayo goes beyond that"

"Mayo can to bring Dublin to the end of their road"

"Mayo ripped up script – now they can write own ending"

All three headlines from GAA articles in the Irish Times alone, hype machine in overdrive. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

"Logic screams Dublin but impulse to pick Mayo goes beyond that"

"Mayo can to bring Dublin to the end of their road"

"Mayo ripped up script – now they can write own ending"

All three headlines from GAA articles in the Irish Times alone, hype machine in overdrive. Bizarre.

There's that biased-Dub-centric media at it again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement