Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

fryup wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance..but when a goalie gets sent off, does an outfield player have to leave the pitch too?? as in soccer

it was a black card.

Receiving a black card will result in a player being sent off and replaced by a substitute while a yellow followed by a black is the equivalent of a red meaning the player is dismissed and not replaced (see below).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

excuse my ignorance..but when a goalie gets sent off, does an outfield player have to leave the pitch too?? as in soccer

He wasn't sent off as in a red card. He was black carded which is just a forced substitution for cynical fouls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

mdwexford wrote: »
    More people are likely to back Dublin because they are the best team.

Yes, but all things being equal more people will back Dublin because there are more people from Dublin than any other county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mayo for Sam 2017.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Don't bother trying to sugar coat it, Maurice Deegan cost Mayo this All-Ireland, he should review the footage and hang his head in shame because he is a disgrace to amateur referees everywhere.

As for Mayo they won't be back, Kerry will most likely beat them in the 2017 All-Ireland Semi-Final.

go skywanderer!!! mad thing
    😂😂😂😂😂

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Depends - in soccer you need to sub on a keeper, sometimes in GAA an outfield player will drop back, or they will substitute an outfield player off for the sub keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

The better team won on the day. Mayo gave it everything and played above themselves but it just wasn't enough. This Dublin team is special and we should be very proud of them.

Aineoil wrote: »
    I thought the same - Dublin has a much bigger population to choose players from. The Dublin bench is unreal.

Maigh Eo were fantastic today. Losing by a point was harsh for them. They played out of their skins. I feel very sorry for the Mayo goalkeeper in the first half. He was so nervous.

Again fair play to Dublin. Enjoy the win!

Go mbeirimid beo ar an am seo arís agus b'fhéidir go mbeidh seans níos fearr le foireann Maigh Eo bua a fháil amach ar an cluiche álainn. Maigh Eo abú!

In fairness, Mayo have a fantastic bench as well. I always think there is a bit of "stardom" attached to Dub players in a sense that thir bench is rated as highly superior to any other squad.

Nevertheless their squad depth is unreal and with the growth of GAA in Dublin again since mid 2000's its going to get better and better

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Don't bother trying to sugar coat it, Maurice Deegan cost Mayo this All-Ireland, he should review the footage and hang his head in shame because he is a disgrace to amateur referees everywhere.

As for Mayo they won't be back, Kerry will most likely beat them in the 2017 All-Ireland Semi-Final.

Nonsense. He was equally bad for both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

In fairness, Mayo have a fantastic bench as well. I always think there is a bit of "stardom" attached to Dub players in a sense that thir bench is rated as highly superior to any other squad.

Nevertheless their squad depth is unreal and with the growth of GAA in Dublin again since mid 2000's its going to get better and better

All paid for by the corrupt GAA at the expense of other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I think we should be looking at our own management instead of the ref.

dats_right wrote: »
    The better team won on the day. Mayo gave it everything and played above themselves but it just wasn't enough. This Dublin team is special and we should be very proud of them.

There is no thing as playing "above yourself", it is the silliest of cliches

Mayo made plenty of costly errors and the difference today was, sadly for the guy, Hennelly's inclusion (which is Rochford's call, and his neck should be on the line for it.

Getting back to the point, Mayo didn't play "above themselves", it is patronising (in an unoffensive way to you) to insinuate that.

Ps, thats not an attack on you, merely a defence for Mayo players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What game were you watching

will you just leave it. I am a Mayo fan but this sort of chat can be kept for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

The game was there for Mayo to take, but they didn't rally and seize it when the chips were down. At this stage I believe it's purely psychological.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Extremely sour, even the ref did everything he could with 5 mins to go to give Mayo the draw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

For anybody who is being too harsh on Mayo, for the sake of fairness bear this in mind:
    Maigh Eo, population in 2016 = 130,000 people
    Áth Cliath, population in 2016 = 1,345,000 people (Source)
    It's not as simple as that, a bigger percentage of Dubs are not involved in the GAA compared to other counties. They're superb but not invincible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

For anybody who is being too harsh on Mayo, for the sake of fairness bear this in mind:
    Maigh Eo, population in 2016 = 130,000 people
    Áth Cliath, population in 2016 = 1,345,000 people (Source)
    Nonsense figures. How many of Dublin's population is made up of non-Dubs?
    How much rugby/soccer/hurling/other sports is played in Mayo compare to Dublin.
    Try engage your brain before posting bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Fair dues to Mayo they put up a great fight but if you can't beat Dublin when they have their worst day in years you'll struggle when they turn up. They took us all the way but they had their chance the first day. All this "Mayo deserve one" bollox, you deserve one when you earn one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think we should be looking at our own management instead of the ref.

Yup. They are so clever they out-clevered themselves. Inverted gurus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm not talking about the odds.I couldn't give a toss what the book makers think (Dublins odds will always be shorter if they are anywhere close to another team because of the population in the county) I'm talking about my opinion and where i feel mayo are at right now and I'd have them as joint with Dublin as the 2 best teams and favourites for next years all ireland.
    I was giving an opinion of where a lot of people would rank the teams.

I couldn't give a ****e about the odds.

And also I'm pretty sure that if more people put money on a team the odds shorten to reduce the risk of the book maker losing more money an seeing as more people are likely to back Dublin because of the population in the county that will happen with Dublin.

Dont talk about the term favorites so if you're not referring to odds as thats exactly what the term refers to. Far too many people who haven't a breeze about gambling are constantly saying X or Y are favorites when its completely wrong.

That's not how gambling works either, at least not in GAA terms. GAA turns over pittance, so million euro companies are not going to get in the slightest bit worried about losing a few thousand because the Dubs are well backed. Their price reflects their true probability of winning accurately enough

Nonsense figures. How many of Dublin's population is made up of non-Dubs?
    How much rugby/soccer/hurling/other sports is played in Mayo compare to Dublin.
    Try engage your brain before posting bullsh1t.

That argument as a way Dublin are impeded is bull**** these days in all fairness.

Plenty of other sport is played throughout the country.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Dont talk about the term favorites so if you're not referring to odds as thats exactly what the term refers to. Far too many people who haven't a breeze about gambling are constantly saying X or Y are favorites when its completely wrong.

That's not how gambling works either, at least not in GAA terms. GAA turns over pittance, so million euro companies are not going to get in the slightest bit worried about losing a few thousand because the Dubs are well backed. Their price reflects their true probability of winning accurately enough

I was talking about fans and pundits making them favourites in their eyes. Favourites as a term doesn't solely apply to what the bookies think and I don't give a fiddlers what the bookies think.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What?

he just asked a question. I answered him already. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

poor mayo

Well done, Mayo. You did yourselves - and football - very, very proud. Unlike 1996 you kept fighting until the end and that won you huge admiration in every county. Hold your heads high. Tá súil agam go mbeidh sibh ar ais an bhliain seo chugainn chun Sam a bhaint. Beir bua!

Amazing how it's Mayo that seem to be getting the congratulations everywhere instead of this incredible Dubs side who play excellent football. I'd say not every county wants you to confirm "admiration" on their behalf either. Fermanagh springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'd say not every county wants you to confirm "admiration" on their behalf either. Fermanagh springs to mind

Tipperary too, ref didn't give Tipp much in semi + a ludicrous black card

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

That is how gambling works! The more money on someone the price lowers so the bookies can cover themselves

Amazing how it's Mayo that seem to be getting the congratulations everywhere instead of this incredible Dubs side who play excellent football. I'd say not every county wants you to confirm "admiration" on their behalf either. Fermanagh springs to mind

the whole thing is ridiculous, was like a morgue in the studio afterwards. there's an agenda, the added time in both games is baffling.

• Advertisement

That is how gambling works! The more money on someone the price lowers so the bookies can cover themselves

Hah, no its not. Honestly thats gambling 101. How come you hear of the bookies losing 7m etc on Tues Cheltenham the last two years with all the Mullins winners. That wouldn't happen if they simply "cover themselves". If Man united are Evs away to Hull, do you really think they take enough bets on the draw & Hull to cover the United payout at even money?

the whole thing is ridiculous, was like a morgue in the studio afterwards. there's an agenda, the added time in both games is baffling.

It wasn't though.

When you have neutrals covering the game they are hardly as likely to be giddy with excitement over a team winning their third in 4 years as opposed to a team winning their first in 65 years.

You're reading far too much into nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Well the rules state the ref must stop his watch when there's a stoppage! I'd say Refs don't play enough injury time! I can think of 3/4 mins on top of my head in second half the game was stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Alan Brogan was right all along “this Dublin team don't do fairytales”,not that I ever did think the perennial bottlers would turn over,what is one of the greatest teams too ever grace the game.

COYBIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Dublin.

You showed why you are champs.

As for Mayo, no sympathy, it's not that yer cursed, it's that ye just don't have what it takes. Always the bridesmaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

You are after winning your 4th All Ireland in the space of 6 years.
    I wouldn't be bothered about what a few pundits think or whatever else now.

Go out and celebrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah ye stop reading the media then cos your looking for something to be annoyed bout haha

It wasn't though.

When you have neutrals covering the game they are hardly as likely to be giddy with excitement over a team winning their third in 4 years as opposed to a team winning their first in 65 years.

You're reading far too much into nothing.

eh, "i didn't hear a three cheers for mayo" w*nker martin carney comment immediately after the cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Hennelly over Clarke will haunt Rocheford until he win an All Ireland (if it ever happens).

Dublin the better team but Gifted 1-4 and a Keegan black card from Hennelly.

You are after winning your 4th All Ireland in the space of 6 years.
    I wouldn't be bothered about what a few pundits think or whatever else now.

Go out and celebrate

it's on :) mulligans, pint?

it's on :) mulligans, pint?

sitting in Mulligans on Boards.ie!! Must be some craic there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

eh, "i didn't hear a three cheers for mayo" w*nker martin carney comment immediately after the cup.

How Carney and Canning manage to keep that gig is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

My heart bleeds for the mayo fans 😑 heartbreaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

That argument as a way Dublin are impeded is bull**** these days in all fairness.

Plenty of other sport is played throughout the country.
    Ye, Mayo's a real hotbed of league of Ireland soccer and rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

standing,no seats :) for all your mouth and boll*cks over the last few weeks, you can do better, crawl under a rock there...

t'was beautiful today :) xoxoxo

WOW gracious when you win I see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Great win for Dublin today. Fantastic result. The best team won. Well Done Dublin. :cool:

Plenty of soccer and rugby played all across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Youd be surprised, for a few years there junior, and underage mayo soccer teams were regularly getting to the business end of irish soccer tournaments.
    If anything the soccer set up gets very little coverage west of the shannon. But thats for another discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Well done Dublin. Deserved over the two games although Mayo self inflicted big time. The players off the bench made the difference in the end. I think the players will feel this is the best win of the four as they were put to the pin of their collars.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement