Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New points system 2017

Options
  • 18-09-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, this is my first post so hope I'm doing it right, sorry for any mistakes!
    So the new points system is coming into effect this year, and the system is changing from 14 different grades (A1, A2, B1, B2 and so on...) to 8: from a H1 to H8 for Higher Level and O1 to O8 for Ordinary Level. Have a few questions about this:

-What does everyone think of the change?
    -How do you think it will effect your grades? (will they go higher, lower, etc.)
    -Do you think it will make much of a difference to entry points? (again will they go higher or lower)

Any other thoughts on the new system I would love to hear! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

bdreamling wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this is my first post so hope I'm doing it right, sorry for any mistakes!
    So the new points system is coming into effect this year, and the system is changing from 14 different grades (A1, A2, B1, B2 and so on...) to 8: from a H1 to H8 for Higher Level and O1 to O8 for Ordinary Level. Have a few questions about this:

-What does everyone think of the change?
    -How do you think it will effect your grades? (will they go higher, lower, etc.)
    -Do you think it will make much of a difference to entry points? (again will they go higher or lower)

Any other thoughts on the new system I would love to hear! :)

The points change is to reduce the amount of random selection for courses which is without a doubt a good thing.

Tbh I don't think it'll be affect grades that much. Sure it'll be harder to go up grades because whereas before you would have had to improve by 5% now you have to improve by 10%! Other than that, it's really the same thing.

Points for courses are literally just the points of the last person who got accepted into that course last year. So the points will depend on the candidates applying. It's impossible to predict now if they'll go up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

My experience is that the new system lowers point totals which would have been higher in the old system, and raises point totals that would have been lower in the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

It's designed to encourage Higher level. You also pass exams on 30% and get points for them.

One thing thats shoit about this system is that Engineering used to require a C3(55%) in higher maths.
    Now its been converted to a H4(60%)... really annoying </3

Advertisement