Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on finishing plywood

Options
  • 18-09-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

folks,

I'd like to give a plywood top a roundover finish on the edges.

Am I dreaming that it would work our alright, or can I expect it to be a chipped disaster ?

Any advice on how to ensure it doesnt split or splinter ?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you're using a router take several light passes rather than one full depth pass, depending on the quality of the ply you may have to do some filling on the routed edge before you sand it for finishing, practice with an offcut first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A router is your best bet by far. However, if you are using a round over bit with a bearing you must use a bit that is somewhat less than half the thickness of the ply. For instance, if you have 12mm ply and use a 6mm radius bit you will end up with an oval - not a rounded over 'bullnose' profile. This is because the bearing has nothing to ride on when you turn the ply over to do the second pass.
    Its different on a router table where you can use a full 'bullnose' bit and run the ply against a fence.When routing across the grain of the ply use a 'backrout' technique - run the router so the bit is backing into the cut and you will get a much cleaner profile.
    In practice, unless you are using a quality baltic birch ply the profile tends to look cheap with voids and wavy laminations. One solution is to glue on a solid wood edging and then rout a profile on that.

Advertisement