Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English teachers....

Options
  • 18-09-2016 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We have an English subject inspection coming up.

I am currently in the middle of my Shakespearean play with my 3rd year groups, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas in making a Shakespeare lesson as engaging/active as possible?

Cheers folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Just teach it the way you teach it. Don't second guess yourself. If you're good at your job, just do it the way you normally would.

You're not a seal. No need to perform for the inspector. Just do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

RealJohn wrote: »
    Just teach it the way you teach it. Don't second guess yourself. If you're good at your job, just do it the way you normally would.

You're not a seal. No need to perform for the inspector. Just do your job.

I agree but if OP is still unsure there are a few things you can include. Start with learning objectives, preteach vocabulary, active prior knowledge, start with something interesting that gets them thinking(question/video/image). Model, scaffold and allow them to try something themselves and use afl at the end.

You could analyse a character's speech. Have them act it, then spend class teaching them how to infer and structure answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

You should plan with the learning outcomes from the English specification & there are a few that relate to teaching drama.
    If Romeo & Jukiet is your drama you might find this resource pack helpful: http://www.artsinjuniorcycle.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Resource-pack-for-teachers-Speaking-Shakespeare-Web.pdf

Advertisement