Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter training plan - Any recommendations?

Options
  • 18-09-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to start a winter training programme. Are there any ones that boardies would recommend?

So far, Joe Friel's Cycling Training bible seems to be well regarded. I'm not sure if it includes a specific winter plan.

Any others out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

British Cycling have good training resources on their website. I think they have a winter training programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, what are you training for? The plan would vary a bit depending on whether you're training for the RAS, A4 racing or the WW200.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Good question, and I should have included that. I don't race but do a good few sportives every year and try and do a 100km+ spin once a week.

So in short the aim would be to improve my speed over 100-160km distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

cjonesy1 wrote: »
    Good question, and I should have included that. I don't race but do a good few sportives every year and try and do a 100km+ spin once a week.

So in short the aim would be to improve my speed over 100-160km distances.

That would require a different focus area to racing say, as in racing short bursts of power coming out of corners and a good <10min number are key to the climbs that exist in irish racing, if you just want to ride 100-160km A to B as fast as possible, then you need only really focus on endurance training.

Inquitus wrote: »
    That would require a different focus area to racing say, as in racing short bursts of power coming out of corners and a good <10min number are key to the climbs that exist in irish racing, if you just want to ride 100-160km A to B as fast as possible, then you need only really focus on endurance training.

Thanks. Presume I'll find stuff on winter endurance training in Friel's book or the British Cycling website above.

• Advertisement

nialljf wrote: »
    British Cycling have good training resources on their website. I think they have a winter training programme.

Thanks for the tip, Niall. I found exactly what I was looking for here. It's a great resource and covers everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Saw this video below last year and it struck a cord with me. Like yourself, and the majority of us, I don't race either (and of course the vid talks about how the Pro riders train), but I think this Reverse Periodisation makes a lot of sense, especially for us this far north on the planet - I tried it last winter and found it worked. Took the stress out of trying to fit in a 4hr ride in December/Jan when there isn't much more in hours of daylight around - factor in having to wait til near mid day for a thaw and you're really pushing it to get a long spin in (especially in rural locations away from the coast)

https://youtu.be/m4RjJvZ4mjE

Think I read something about Friel arguing against it for racers, but his argument strengthened the case for me actually, as the increase in distance when the season approaches would then begin matching the kind of events I do (sportives).

I didn't do my first 100k spin until early April if I remember right. Got through the Marmotte then in July no bother

Anyways....worked a treat for me :-)

Edit... actually I think it's this video I saw first but they are along the same lines:
    https://youtu.be/HTuaxOGdeXU

Great.,I'll check this out. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Many thanks

Advertisement