Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUCKS Diving advice

• 18-09-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭

So it happens us all, shooting a duck and it dives what's your tips or tricks on retriving. I lost a cracker on the open day and waited around for him to pop up no joy. Lost another two today and I'm gone cracked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

Have a mighty springer ya she retrieves off the boat for me the finest. It's when they dive she can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Try plonking a stone in the spot for the dog or bring a gaff

Have you had success with gaff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Try a heavier load ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Depending on the speed of the water yes. I put a butchers hook on the end of a 14 foot painters pole , works for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

It's just one of those things lad. All duck hunters will lose birds. Even with a good dog ( or butchers hook ;), ) you loose the odd one. Especially on the lakes shooting black and white etc.

Ya all lake shooting I'm doing with boat. I will give the hook a go. Well worth a try thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Do what the Americans do and teach the dog to follow divers - look up the Dokken deadfowl diving duck.....they learn quick!

Cheers for all advice. Il take it all on board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement