Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council estate problems

Options
  • 18-09-2016 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Have been lucky enough to get a council house, have lived in it a couple of years with my family. Both of us are working but as we have 3 children couldn't afford private rent and have been refused a mortgage twice.

However, even though we are blessed to have a house I am losing my mind with the horrible people that live in my area. They don't look after their houses, treat their children like animals, leave their actual animals to roam the streets all day, drop litter about the place and in general add nothing to the local community. It's the only council estate in the area but not the only estate. However it's the council estate that contains all of these problems.

I can't understand it. I'm from a working class area myself but back in the late 70s / early 80s working class people genuinely seemed to be more respectable. I'm not wearing rose - tinted glasses either; there's no way 5 year old would have called each other "fat c@#*ts" & another array of expletives the local kids use around here.

When did people become so nasty? Did gangs of mothers always bring their kids to school in pj's or am I just losing my mind? Where is the personal pride?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Have been lucky enough to get a council house, have lived in it a couple of years with my family. Both of us are working but as we have 3 children couldn't afford private rent and have been refused a mortgage twice.

However, even though we are blessed to have a house I am losing my mind with the horrible people that live in my area. They don't look after their houses, treat their children like animals, leave their actual animals to roam the streets all day, drop litter about the place and in general add nothing to the local community. It's the only council estate in the area but not the only estate. However it's the council estate that contains all of these problems.

I can't understand it. I'm from a working class area myself but back in the late 70s / early 80s working class people genuinely seemed to be more respectable. I'm not wearing rose - tinted glasses either; there's no way 5 year old would have called each other "fat c@#*ts" & another array of expletives the local kids use around here.

When did people become so nasty? Did gangs of mothers always bring their kids to school in pj's or am I just losing my mind? Where is the personal pride?

Plenty of scummy council estates unfortunately. Feel your pain. Clondalkin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crummymummy

No but grew up in great council estate in Dublin. Fond memories of playing in the green and running in and out of everyone's house. Obviously the world has changed since then but I'm still surprised at how 'scummy' people have become. Can't help but wonder if social welfare is to blame or maybe just because the country is more liberal now.

Either way it's depressing for the few of us that keep our houses and respect others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I feel you. Same here. 30 houses in the 10 year old estate and the non scummy ones just couldn't give a **** about the area either. Scramblers, horses, gangs, burnt out cars, litter etc. Bring all the **** from other estates in to harass everyone else. No support from the council either. You have to fight to get green area cut, litter warden will not do anything about dumping or burning of rubbish and the local nun keeps fighting to keep the scum in the area when they get threatened with eviction. Latest thing is that one of them has a mate working in a garage and gets ****ty tradeins for free and tries to then sell them on done deal. Of course, when they can't sell them, they burn them out in the field next to us.
    If they had to pay a decent rate of rent, I can't help thinking that they would change their tune.

Oh, and yes, it's in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

back in your day working class areas contained exactly that, people who worked. Nowadays the term isn't very appropriate , most of the residents of council estates are perpetually unemployed people who feel 'entitled' to everything and want the state to look after the hoards of kids they keep popping out.

I think all you can do is look after your own house , and just remember , when those kids get a bit older, start calling the gardai every time they do something, early intervention into juvenile criminality stops them becoming career criminals or heads of gangs later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

most of the residents of council estates are perpetually unemployed people who feel 'entitled' to everything and want the state to look after the hoards of kids they keep popping out.

I think all you can do is look after your own house , and just remember , when those kids get a bit older, start calling the gardai every time they do something, early intervention into juvenile criminality stops them becoming career criminals or heads of gangs later in life.

Pretty broad generalisation there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gatling wrote: »
    Pretty broad generalisation there .

the OP knows it, they're living it and I'm sure would agree. I didn't say all , but I would challenge you to find me a council estate in this country where more than 50% of the adult residents do even a 25 hour week of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

the OP knows it, they're living it and I'm sure would agree. I didn't say all , but I would challenge you to find me a council estate in this country where more than 50% of the adult residents do even a 25 hour week of work.

Out of the 30 houses here, 7 houses have a full time worker living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PathMatcher

Think you have some rose-tinted glasses view of the 70s/80s in Ireland.

The council estates of Ballyfermot, Finglas, Ballymun and many more were all no-go areas during that time. If anything they are safer nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP I think the residents of Ballymun, Dominick St, Sandwich St etc would all completely disagree with your opinion of council housing not having problems in the 1970s-1990s. People seem to forget how ****ed up Dublin was at the time. There was a ton of car jackings at traffic lights, under no circumstances could you leave a bag on view in your car on a street in the city centre. My mothers car was broken into sell a jacket in the late 1980s.

That is ignoring the fact these housing developments were being destroyed by Heroin and AIDS.

Here is a lovely clip from 1980s Sheriff St, where some of the residents were deliberately trying to turn the area into a hole so the corporation would give them houses instead of flats

https://youtu.be/Z9oCGYP01yY?t=27m50s

You can look up any major Corpo development in the 80s and see how they werent great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crummymummy

Maybe I'm too young to remember it being like to that! My estate certainly wasn't that bad. But there definitely wasn't cars being raced around the greens or scramblers tearing them up. And no way was there dumping of rubbish like I see here on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed pending mod review. As per the forum charter, sweeping generalisations are unhelpful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement