Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fits

Options
  • 18-09-2016 9:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going for a professional bike fit next week with Cigala Cycling in FitzCycles. I think Michele Dalla Piazza is going it.

I know the outcome will be a good bike fit but I was wondering what should I be going to get the best from the session? Other than the bike and myself should I bring anything (I was told I'd get an email with details closer to the date).

What should i expect to get (other than the bike fit)? I have two bikes. Was just going to bring one and get the setup for one and super impose it on the other. Does it work that way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm going for a professional bike fit next week with Cigala Cycling in FitzCycles. I think Michele Dalla Piazza is going it.

I know the outcome will be a good bike fit but I was wondering what should I be going to get the best from the session? Other than the bike and myself should I bring anything (I was told I'd get an email with details closer to the date).

What should i expect to get (other than the bike fit)? I have two bikes. Was just going to bring one and get the setup for one and super impose it on the other. Does it work that way?

I was told to bring the shoes and cycling shorts I'd normally wear, and a sleeveless top. Since I normally wear baggy linen trousers and sandals and a T-shirt, this wasn't apposite to me. My legs are so short that I didn't even fit on the machine used for measurements :D

It would certainly be good to bring your bike, as this means you can sit on it and see where your feet land, where your arse fits, how far you have to reach, etc. Or so it seems to this amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I did my fit with Aidan Hammond. Cycling gear and shoes is what I brought (he checked cleat position too).

I didn't bring a second bike, but it would've only been an additional €30 to fit that, and if you go back to him at a later date (with a new bike) it's €50, so I'd see what a second bike charge would be. I kinda regret not bringing the second bike, but I was going with there could potentially be additional costs like stems/ cranks based on the fit (there wasn't in my case - main change was saddle height).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I did my fit with Aidan Hammond. Cycling gear and shoes is what I brought (he checked cleat position too).

I didn't bring a second bike, but it would've only been an additional €30 to fit that, and if you go back to him at a later date (with a new bike) it's €50, so I'd see what a second bike charge would be. I kinda regret not bringing the second bike, but I was going with there could potentially be additional costs like stems/ cranks based on the fit (there wasn't in my case - main change was saddle height).

It's €80 for the extra bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I also went to Aidan Hammond - took my good bike and my commuter road bike, around €30/€40 for second bike, €80 seems bit steep.

They're really trying to look at your body position whilst cycling, so wear what you'd usually wear cycling, especially your cycling shoes.
    Aidan adjusted my cleats a little.
    He gave me a printout of measurements and I asked him to put markers on both seat posts to mark saddle heights.

I was glad I took both bikes, they were different makes and different geometries. When my Good bike was stolen a few weeks ago I was able to do a sportive on my commuter without any problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe I am wrong in my assumption but can you not take measurements from one bike to another? Should they all be consistent?

One bike is more of an endurance set up the other other more racing. Would that play a role?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Maybe I am wrong in my assumption but can you not take measurements from one bike to another? Should they all be consistent?

One bike is more of an endurance set up the other other more racing. Would that play a role?

I got a bike fit done on one bike and copied the measurements. Perfect.

I'd also recommend cycling to your bike fit. That way you're warmed up and not tense, you'll sit on the saddle the way you would mid spin etc.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That's a good point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Brian? wrote: »
    I got a bike fit done on one bike and copied the measurements. Perfect.

I'd also recommend cycling to your bike fit. That way you're warmed up and not tense, you'll sit on the saddle the way you would mid spin etc.

And cycling back you'd know if he made a balls of it :D immediately :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

You should be able to take measurements from one to the other, broadly speaking at least. That said, if they are sufficiently different geometries (e.g. super-relaxed endurance vs long top tubed aero bike) you might have to go for slightly funky stem setups on one or both to get them the exact same as each other. Or equally if you're at the extreme of the fit range on one frame, it might not be possible to mirror it on the other, but they're relatively remote possibilities. That being said, if the bikes are sufficiently different like that and you were to use them for different kinds of cycles (e.g. one for hard and fast but shorter spins, and the other for long ones where comfort might win out), who's to say that there's not scope for them to be slightly different?

To my mind, the main benefit to bringing the second bike to a the fitting session is that the fitter likely has dedicated equipment to copy measurements from one frame to the other, and may be better skilled at doing so between 2 different geometry frames.

FWIW I have a Trek 1000 and a Canyon Endurace that I brought to a fitting session with Aidan Hammond, and by his accounts I now have the exact same setup on both of them, or at least as close as can be gotten (just had to get a new stem for the Canyon to get it to fit - went 10mm longer - and the Trek just needed some minor saddle adjustments, so was actually surprised by how close they both were already!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What is the cost of the Fitz bike fit?

• Advertisement

€120 for the first bike which I think is standard

If you're not messing, I think normally the bike fitters will be humane about explaining how your bike fit works from bike to bike.

Chuchote wrote: »
    If you're not messing, I think normally the bike fitters will be humane about explaining how your bike fit works from bike to bike.

I've never been to a bike fit so how could I be messing?

I've never been to a bike fit so how could I be messing?

No, I meant if you didn't mess them around by asking them for advice for a whole series of bikes. Sorry, phrased it badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

If you're just bringing the one bike, you should be able to set up the other fairly easily with the same measurements. Obviously the saddle height is the most important, and I think they should be the same across the two bikes. If you've got more than one pair of shoes, bring them all to get the cleat alignment checked (this doesn't take long).

If you bring your racier bike, the main difference will probably be the stack height of your stem, so when transferring your measurements over you could keep the handlebars a bit higher on your endurance bike for more all day comfort.

Chuchote wrote: »
    No, I meant if you didn't mess them around by asking them for advice for a whole series of bikes. Sorry, phrased it badly.

Sorry. I thought you meant I was taking the piss

Sorry. I thought you meant I was taking the piss

Wouldn't do that. Not at all. I'll joke, but I won't sneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

I got a basic bike fit last spring, but I'm still having numerous comfort issues on the bike. I get a lot of saddle soreness especially after longer rides or numerous days in the saddle. I've tried a few different saddles, but still haven't found one to suit me--assuming that it's the saddle design that is causing discomfort. I also get foot pain. Whatever way the cleats were setup in the bike fit doesn't suit me anymore. Besides those issues, I get general aches and pains after being out riding for a few hours. I might try some strength training over the coming months to see if this helps.

I'd like to try my hand at racing next year, but considering my current setup is more sportive-oriented and it's still causing me issues, I think I'll have to book a more thorough fitting session. Any advice on Cork bike fitters? I know both The Edge and Cork Giant offer services.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Miklos wrote: »
    If you're just bringing the one bike, you should be able to set up the other fairly easily with the same measurements. Obviously the saddle height is the most important, and I think they should be the same across the two bikes. If you've got more than one pair of shoes, bring them all to get the cleat alignment checked (this doesn't take long).

If you bring your racier bike, the main difference will probably be the stack height of your stem, so when transferring your measurements over you could keep the handlebars a bit higher on your endurance bike for more all day comfort.

To my mind, the bike fit is 90%about your legs. Once your bottom half is fitted correctly, you can do whatever you want with your bar height that's comfortable.

I change my bar height regularly on the same bike, I have shoulder pain unrelated to cycling. If my shoulders are sore, I raid the bars for a more comfortable position. If my shoulders are fine I slam the stem for more aero.

My winter bike is set up constantly for a more relaxed position.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement