Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climb to Kippure mast

Options
  • 19-09-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know what shape the "road" is in, up to the Kippure mast?

Haven't been up there in about 18 months, but would like not to break a nice set of Mavics on the descent...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its probably more or less the same condition it was in 18 months ago. It'll be rough on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hasn't really changed much in past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The road is relatively OK. There's gravel in the centre and edges which doesn't make for a fast descent. If you take it handy on the way down you'll be fine - and so will your wheels.

Enjoy the last 500m on the way up........... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How does it compare to the road up Turlough Hill say?

How does it compare to the road up Turlough Hill say?
    It's a bit tougher in my opinion especially the last bit which is very steep and often into a very strong headwind.

It also has a flat section in the lead up unlike Turlough Hill which is more consistent. Turlough Hill also has a better surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Made it up this climb last week. Still a back breaker - that last 500m is mental!

As pointed out, road hasn't changed much in the past couple of years - got lucky with the elements, as I had a slight tail wind going up.

The Mavics survived the descent, but the cycling Gods decreed that I should get a puncture in Enniskerry - blew out the spare tube, so had to make the call of shame back home:eek:

Anyways, well worth a detour up there, for the view alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Izoard wrote: »
    Made it up this climb last week. Still a back breaker - that last 500m is mental!

As pointed out, road hasn't changed much in the past couple of years - got lucky with the elements, as I had a slight tail wind going up.

The Mavics survived the descent, but the cycling Gods decreed that I should get a puncture in Enniskerry - blew out the spare tube, so had to make the call of shame back home:eek:

Great climb, one of my favourites. If you go from Enniskerry to the mast it's 17.3km @3.8%, making it a category one climb (according to strava anyhow). Always find the part on the Sally Gap road beside the car park for Lough Bray (viewing point to Lougjh Bray) is the hardest part!

Great climb, one of my favourites. If you go from Enniskerry to the mast it's 17.3km @3.8%, making it a category one climb (according to strava anyhow). Always find the part on the Sally Gap road beside the car park for Lough Bray (viewing point to Lougjh Bray) is the hardest part!
    If you begin in Bray it's 25k at 3%. (And you're guaranteed a top 10 place as there's only 3 on the leaderboard!)

https://www.strava.com/segments/9412109

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Challenge NOT accepted!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you begin in Bray it's 25k at 3%. (And you're guaranteed a top 10 place as there's only 3 on the leaderboard!)

Don't know what strava thinks of it, but for my money starting at Cunard and up via Glassamucky would be the tougher way up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Izoard wrote: »

I'd consider meself ok at the hills, but that one really is a struggle, especially the last little bit as you take the left around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

smacl wrote: »
    Don't know what strava thinks of it, but for my money starting at Cunard and up via Glassamucky would be the tougher way up.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1396863?filter=overall

Not cunard road but similar route.
    I would prefer that route also as i really don't like that road to Glencree. It's in a awful state.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

No kidding! That would be a tough old climb - the Cunnard "Torture KOM" on strava is one well named segment ;-). Only been up to Kippure (via Enniskerry) on one occasion and didn't really mind the climb. The descent on the other hand was terrifying, what with the state of the road and that plummeting left hander right at the start.

Depends on whether one finds shorter steeper climbs more difficult than longer less steeper climbs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Depends on whether one finds shorter steeper climbs more difficult than longer less steeper climbs.

Longer less steep any day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What's the road/track on the other side of the mast like? The one that drops you on the Military Road just before the turn to Cunard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

That's actually been on my to do list for a couple of weeks as there are three or four cat one segments starting different points along that route! Day off tomorrow so might be tempted!!

P_1 wrote: »
    What's the road/track on the other side of the mast like? The one that drops you on the Military Road just before the turn to Cunard

This one? Not sure of its proper name, I've always called it Piperstown road, and its lumpy enough, similar to Glassamucky but a bit less steep but with no breaks. Quite a few challenging hills around those backroads, e.g. this innocuous little road put some manners on me a few weeks ago, and the off road section back towards Kippure had me doing the walk of shame,

g0g wrote: »
    That's actually been on my to do list for a couple of weeks as there are three or four cat one segments starting different points along that route! Day off tomorrow so might be tempted!!

I've wanted to do it from Bray but comes down to time/weather. Any time I've planned it either time got away from me or the wind was to much. Would love to do it

The road to the left? That was on the Evil this year. Did not enjoy that!

• Advertisement

This one? Not sure of its proper name, I've always called it Piperstown road, and its lumpy enough, similar to Glassamucky but a bit less steep but with no breaks. Quite a few challenging hills around those backroads, e.g. this innocuous little road put some manners on me a few weeks ago, and the off road section back towards Kippure had me doing the walk of shame,

They look like a nice challenge. I actually meant this one though https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.215461,-6.3075416,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOcVwLqWUdzkQJSpUco62YA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 OSM calls it Moat Road.

They look like a nice challenge. I actually meant this one though https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.215461,-6.3075416,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOcVwLqWUdzkQJSpUco62YA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 OSM calls it Moat Road.

Great fun on the cross bike or anything with wider tyres, but not really for the road bike. Comes to a dead end before Kippure itself as does this one, but I've not managed to find a way of getting them to link up that doesn't involve bog snorkelling. If you can lay your hands on some studs, Moat road is unreal in the snow

399084.JPG

Great fun on the cross bike or anything with wider tyres, but not really for the road bike. Comes to a dead end before Kippure itself as does this one, but I've not managed to find a way of getting them to link up that doesn't involve bog snorkelling. If you can lay your hands on some studs, Moat road is unreal in the snow

How close to Kippure is the dead end?

How close to Kippure is the dead end?

Not that near, 1.5k or thereabouts, and very boggy. Certainly far beyond my abilities without shouldering the bike all the way, and not much fun.

Not that near, 1.5k or thereabouts, and very boggy. Certainly far beyond my abilities without shouldering the bike all the way, and not much fun.

Hmm sounds like a nice test for the capabilities of the fat bike so. Watch this space, I may report back.

g0g wrote: »
    I'd advise to do it tomorrow, as supposedly it gets pretty icy and snowy (who'd have guessed!?) during the winter. No "climb" as long as that could be found anywhere else in Dublin/Wicklow! If there is, that doesn't get too bad in the winter, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hmm sounds like a nice test for the capabilities of the fat bike so. Watch this space, I may report back.

It's great to descend on an MTB in the dry. Fat bike might work in the wet alright. It can get very wet indeed. But definitely go up the main kippure access road and down off-road. T'would be a bit wierd to do it the other way round!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I'd advise to do it tomorrow, as supposedly it gets pretty icy and snowy (who'd have guessed!?) during the winter. No "climb" as long as that could be found anywhere else in Dublin/Wicklow! If there is, that doesn't get too bad in the winter, let me know!

Wet bogs can be much easier to ride with a hard frost, makes everything solid.

Wet bogs can be much easier to ride with a hard frost, makes everything solid.

Ah I was thinking from the more road cyclist's prospective, on the road they have going up there. But I can see how that helps, if you go up the bog road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

looks like it follows the county border line. Ends behind lough bray:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1960452,-6.311303,1307m/data=!3m1!1e3

Advertisement