Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs Dog handler?

• 19-09-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this in the wrong place as I believe customs are revenue based but I would imagine they work closely with Garda so I figure it would here would be a good place to ask.

I want to find out how to become a customs dog handler, I have recently completed a number of dog training / behaviour and canine studies diplomas but I would like to work in the search field.

Any advice, or direction greatly appreciated.

TIA

Comments

ElKavo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Apologies if this in the wrong place as I believe customs are revenue based but I would imagine they work closely with Garda so I figure it would here would be a good place to ask.

I want to find out how to become a customs dog handler, I have recently completed a number of dog training / behaviour and canine studies diplomas but I would like to work in the search field.

Any advice, or direction greatly appreciated.

TIA

Join the Revenue Customs Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I don't want to hijack your thread, but when I saw your post it brought back memories of an incident I had with a Customs dog and her handler in the ferry port in Dover, UK.

I am a coach driver and was coming back from Amsterdam, driving a coach belonging to this company:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/high-time-in-holland-1359080.html

We got stopped by Customs in Dover Port on the way back from Amsterdam and a Customs guy boarded the bus. The whole coach reeked of the smell of Cannabis from one end to the other.

He summoned the dog handler and she duly appeared and entered the bus with dog. The dog immediately started sniffing then lay down and started whimpering and howling and wouldn't move.

Then the dog handler lost her temper with the other Customs guy and screamed: "I'm not taking my dog on this bus ever again!"

Apparently the dogs can't function when completely surrounded by smells of contraband and it messes up their future ability to detect anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I would imagine it would be a sensory overload alright Nomis21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

You would need to be Revenue officer first and then apply to be a handler. I suspect it's a popular role. Training is based on the UK ACPO standards. While there are private courses that claim to train to those standards, there's no accredition so you would still need to undergo the k9 training if you joined customs. That said, Civil Defence do have a handful of handlers trained and I think their training might be recognised, but that's an aside really as pages would be so limited.

You might find the ACPO dog handler manual interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

ectoraige wrote: »
    You would need to be Revenue officer first and then apply to be a handler. I suspect it's a popular role. Training is based on the UK ACPO standards. While there are private courses that claim to train to those standards, there's no accredition so you would still need to undergo the k9 training if you joined customs. That said, Civil Defence do have a handful of handlers trained and I think their training might be recognised, but that's an aside really as pages would be so limited.

You might find the ACPO dog handler manual interesting reading.

That is great info, Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement