Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling insurance for Autumn months

• 19-09-2016 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

My bike is going into storage soon. The garage is well locked and alarmed so I'm fairly confident it wont be stolen. Is there any reason why I shouldn't cancel my insurance and repurchase again in late Spring? According to my policy documents I should get 50% of the premium back when I cancel.

I'm currently with Cornmarket (Adelaide) Insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is the garage insured for the bike in storage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Whats the bike worth? If it was me, i'd be leaving the insurance as is.

You'd also lose any NCB you'd started accumulating for this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Bike is worth €3000-4000.

Basically, my uncle owns a car dealership and he has a workshop for cars there, I store the bike there. I have no idea what the insurance situation is but there are a few classic cars stored in there too. Security is good and the bike will be locked, chained and hidden under a tarp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Usually there is a 50% penalty with a lead time(3 months with my car for example). Plus you don't get any no claims bonus for the year, if that matters to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Suspend the policy, don't cancel it. That way you keep earning your NCB and will get some refund as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

galwaytt wrote: »
    Suspend the policy, don't cancel it. That way you keep earning your NCB and will get some refund as well.
    Good idea, can you do that easily with most companies? For those that put their bike away fro a few months over the winter it might be a good idea - as long as its safe

Advertisement