Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use a Racer but want Hydred. Am i stupid to swap?

Options
  • 19-09-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi guys

I've had had hydred before. Cheap one and cycling was labourous. switched to racer and thought ill never switch back. my commute does involve alot of hills and Ive had my racer for a few years now

Id actually like to switch back to a hybred if getting new bike. Any suggestions of a decent one that is good for hills. I tend to get pain in my neck from arching head upwards. I know my racer is one size to big for me so could be down to poor posture but just think hybred will be more comfortable

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd worry more about getting the right sized bike than the type of bike. Cycling a road bike a size too big will stretch you out and put terrible pressure of your upper back.

Have you tried fitting a shorter stem to see if it relieves the pressure?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

ive small stem. maybe you are right - should be concerned with size of bike. i thought maybe increasing stem would force me upright position

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Shorter stem would probably help but could make the steering feel a bit twitchy. For a sportier hybrid, something like a Giant Rapid would fit the bill. For a flat bar on long distances, I'd tend to get something with bar ends to give an extra choice of position and get you out of the wind. A properly fitting road bike with relaxed geometry would be the better solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

This fit you?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057643542
    Possibly has the kit to convert back... Gives you an option to try both and decide...only if it's the right size though.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

Lovely bike. id be the M(50) size though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement