Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Tuath properties

Options
  • 19-09-2016 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Can anyone give me advice on this please, I have two boys aged 11 and 2, I have been on the council list for years and last week my file was put forward to Tuath housing authority as they have new units in one of the areas that I have on my council list. I am currently privately renting a small 2 bed apartment, no garden, very cramped, have to dry clothes on the rads etc, so I was so ecstatic when I heard I was being put forward for a house. I received the letter today about my interview with tuath and it's for another 2bed apartment, with no garden again.. I never realised how important a garden is with kids until I didn't have one!! What are my options? Can I refuse this or can I take it and apply for a transfer within tuath??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Keeragh16 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me advice on this please, I have two boys aged 11 and 2, I have been on the council list for years and last week my file was put forward to Tuath housing authority as they have new units in one of the areas that I have on my council list. I am currently privately renting a small 2 bed apartment, no garden, very cramped, have to dry clothes on the rads etc, so I was so ecstatic when I heard I was being put forward for a house. I received the letter today about my interview with tuath and it's for another 2bed apartment, with no garden again.. I never realised how important a garden is with kids until I didn't have one!! What are my options? Can I refuse this or can I take it and apply for a transfer within tuath??

It's quite common on the continent to raise a family in an apartment and to make use of the public amenities in place of the availability of a garden.

With housing build costs not reducing and a low amount of stock coming on the market, do you think it's reasonable to hold out for a house? If the apartment is located close to schools, parks and public transport is there really an issue with no back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Keeragh16

It's quite common on the continent to raise a family in an apartment and to make use of the public amenities in place of the availability of a garden.

With housing build costs not reducing and a low amount of stock coming on the market, do you think it's reasonable to hold out for a house? If the apartment is located close to schools, parks and public transport is there really an issue with no back garden?

Not answering my question but thank you so much for your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You won't get a house with a garden in your current situation ,
    You can turn it down but you don't know if and when another offer will be made.
    Nothing stopping you from getting a swap after 2 years I believe and it's cleared with tuath

Perfect thanks, I wasnt sure what the transfer policy was with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gatling wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you from getting a swap after 2 years I believe and it's cleared with tuath

However as a sole-parent with two same gender children(*), your housing need in a 2-bed property. The reality of Irish approachs to building is that almost all of these are apartments. Even if they're ground-floor apartments, they're unlikely to have a significant amount of dedicated outdoor space.

I don't know that the OP would be approved for a transfer into a 3-bed house, given they don't need 3-bed.

(*) There's a small question in my mind about whether the children being so far apart in age might qualify you for a three bed: what's manageable when they're 11 and 2 might not be so much when they're 17 and 8. But I don't know if there's a rule about this or not.

• Advertisement

I don't know that the OP would be approved for a transfer into a 3-bed house, given they don't need 3-bed.

But there are 2 bed properties out there with with either gardens they are rare though ,

In my situation 2 adults and 2 kids (same gender) we can't have a 2 bed because there not Big enough and can't have a 3 bed because theres not enough of us

Just seen your edit I'll come back

Gatling wrote: »

However as a sole-parent with two same gender children(*), your housing need in a 2-bed property. The reality of Irish approachs to building is that almost all of these are apartments. Even if they're ground-floor apartments, they're unlikely to have a significant amount of dedicated outdoor space.

(*) There's a small question in my mind about whether the children being so far apart in age might qualify you for a three bed: what's manageable when they're 11 and 2 might not be so much when they're 17 and 8. But I don't know if there's a rule about this or not.

Thank you! Even at 11 and 2 I can't see it working, 2 year old doesn't sleep and obviously the older fella has school every day! My oldest has friends over most weekends as it is and they stay in his room mostly and play playstation until late! I know I'm not in a position to request a lovely 3 bed with a garden when there are people wors off than me, but iv seen cases of 1 adult and 1 child getting a semi detached house etc..
    If I was in a relationship now then I could get a 3 bed, I would hope that I'm not single forever so will I have to transfer when the time comes anyway due to overcrowding??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would you not at least view it, it could be bigger that your current accommodation, have a balcony, be nearer to a park or amenities and if it is new will have been built to new higher regulations. Also a garden won't make a 2 bed any bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OP, in the current climate and with so many families in emergency accommodation, I would at least go and look at the apartment.
    You're in a fortunate position to be even offered somewhere.

It's a permanent roof over yours and your children's heads and that, surely, is no.1 priority?
    It doesn't matter if you don't have a garden. It's not a garden you NEED, it's a roof over your head.
    I wouldn't be so hasty in turning it down.

fussyonion wrote: »
    OP, in the current climate and with so many families in emergency accommodation, I would at least go and look at the apartment.
    You're in a fortunate position to be even offered somewhere.

It's a permanent roof over yours and your children's heads and that, surely, is no.1 priority?
    It doesn't matter if you don't have a garden. It's not a garden you NEED, it's a roof over your head.
    I wouldn't be so hasty in turning it down.

I have a roof over my children's heads thank you, I think the idea of Social housing is the idea of having a home for life that you can afford.. if I am going to be looking for a transfer straight away is there any point in me accepting when the apartment could be handed to someone who would be happy to live there long term? I'm not ungrateful,which is the attitude that I think some of ye have towards me. I have every right to want a garden for my children, some of ye think that's unnecessary but I don't.

• Advertisement

I have a roof over my children's heads thank you, I think the idea of Social housing is the idea of having a home for life that you can afford.. if I am going to be looking for a transfer straight away is there any point in me accepting when the apartment could be handed to someone who would be happy to live there long term? I'm not ungrateful,which is the attitude that I think some of ye have towards me. I have every right to want a garden for my children, some of ye think that's unnecessary but I don't.

You don't have a right to a garden.
    You would like one. Lots of people would like one but we don't always get what we want.
    You're coming across very snappy when people are only trying to advise you.

You won't get an immediate transfer you will have to living in a property several years and be arrears free first and even at that you get no guarantees that you won't be able to transfer to anything but another 2bed

fussyonion wrote: »

You don't have a right to a garden.
    You would like one. Lots of people would like one but we don't always get what we want.
    You're coming across very snappy when people are only trying to advise you.

I asked for people's advice on refusing and transferring within tuath properties because I haven't heard of tuath before this, I never asked for your advise on whether I should like to have a garden or not. I don't see why I should put up with people's smart comments and not be able to defend myself..

You're the only one being smart and obviously have a chip on your shoulder.
    I'll leave it at that.
    I gave you my opinion, as did others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I asked for people's advice on refusing and transferring within tuath properties because I haven't heard of tuath before this, I never asked for your advise on whether I should like to have a garden or not. I don't see why I should put up with people's smart comments and not be able to defend myself..

In fairness I didn't see any smart comments?

Tuath are very big. They have recently bought 49 new units in a new estae in Finglas and a large group if not all of the new units just off the Beaumont road.

It isn't by any chance on of these is it?

Also, for an exact answer to your exact question, you'll have to ask Tuath themselves.

kceire wrote: »

In fairness I didn't see any smart comments?

Tuath are very big. They have recently bought 49 new units in a new estae in Finglas and a large group if not all of the new units just off the Beaumont road.

It isn't by any chance on of these is it?

Also, for an exact answer to your exact question, you'll have to ask Tuath themselves.

People basically telling me to take what I'm offered? Why shouldn't I want the best for my children, is just because I'm on the council list? I don't think anyone privately buying a house would just buy a house because there's nothing else around at that time, so why shouldn't someone on the council list be entitled to wait to see if something more suitable comes around? Especially when there's people with smaller families getting offered bigger houses etc.. no its not for either of those properties. Someone before you actually did my answery questions, but I will ask them when I'm in the meeting aswell, I just wanted to have a bit of information before going in to meet them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

We have a forum charter which requires that posters remain civil when posting. People are taking the time to post in what they think may be a helpful way, if you disagree or feel a post is abusive then please use the report post button, but otherwise please let the mods decide what is and isn't appropriate for this forum. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People basically telling me to take what I'm offered? Why shouldn't I want the best for my children, is just because I'm on the council list? I don't think anyone privately buying a house would just buy a house because there's nothing else around at that time,

People buying privately have to do just that all the time: they buy what is available, that they can afford. Usually they (we) do have to compromise about some things. Personally when I bought a house, having a garden/lawn was exactly what I compromised on.

Of course you want the best for your children. But realistically, if you want better than a 2-brm apartment, then either you need to get a better paying job so you can afford better without government support, or you need to get into a relationship with someone like this.

Social housing is never going to be the best. At best, it will be a bit better than just good enough. At worse, it will be so anti-social that you simply cannot stand living there.

I'm very surprised that you're seeing people with equivalent housing needs to you being allocated houses with gardens: my guess is that they have some issues which you're not privy to. Or maybe they're just plain lucky. But the reality of most social housing, no matter what agency owns it, is that 2-beds don't usually have private gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If you can afford a roof over your head currently, why are you going for a social home?
    I thought the entire notion was to support those who could NOT afford a home? You may like a home that's easy to afford, but that only comes on the back of people paying full-whack.
    I know how that sounds, but i'm just curious as to why there is a question to begin with.

Anyway, the exact answer to your question i found by googling "Tuath Transfers", found a link to the Tuath Tenancy Handbook, page 49, which says you must be an existing tenant with them for 2 years, or that you can apply to transfer earlier if you have social or medical grounds. Whether kids having a garden counts as a social need, i have no idea, though i doubt it, given the availability of common areas and parks.

http://www.tuathhousing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Tu%CC%81ath-Tenant-Handbook.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Tuath put a request in to the various councils along the lines of "please send us some nominees". They typically then take in for interview around twice the number of possible tenants than they have houses.
    You don't have a hard and fast house yet. It is entirely dependent on that interview, and you may be part of the approx 50% that get a house, or the 50% that do not, so i'm not sure what effect refusing a house is going to do for you in terms of Tuath offering you anything....
    If they decide to make you an offer, i'd take it, and worry about transfers later, given you've been waiting so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sue191

hi did you get any offer the house? well I got a letter from tuath for interview too and done tuath told me will take 2 weeks they will let me know , I am wonder do I get the house? I am on the list since 2007 myself. hope it all go well with you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GraciieLou

sue191 wrote: »
    hi did you get any offer the house? well I got a letter from tuath for interview too and done tuath told me will take 2 weeks they will let me know , I am wonder do I get the house? I am on the list since 2007 myself. hope it all go well with you good luck.

Hi sue .. did u get the house did tuath say in letter if it was just for you or between other families.

Got letter for interview and it said up against other families ..

Tia

Advertisement