Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US B2 Visa for Unemployed?

Options
  • 19-09-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm only on qualifying payments with DSP based on two special needs kids and i wish to take them to New York for this coming Easter holiday, as i and my partner are unemployed, but my partner just finished school in college, she will stay home to look after others kids while i take the two for holiday for 2 weeks in New york. I will start a part time course in few weeks though, also i and my partner will be getting married this December. However, will i get refused for US B2 visa since i'm unemployed?? We're on Stamp 4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are only going for a 2 week holiday, why are you applying for a visa & not availing of the ESTA program? Are you an Irish national?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Check on https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1 if your nationality is there you can get an ESTA otherwise it's B2. Only a very few non-EEA countries on that list so likely a B2 needed for a Stamp 4.

Unemployment shouldn't be a disqualifying item as long as you can prove you are returning which is the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spud gunny

What passport have you

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

spud gunny wrote: »
    What passport have you

Non EU

Anyone got B2 visa and unemployed at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 MeMeJK1

It's hard to say what will or will not happen if you apply. But I can tell you for sure that the chances of a visa if you don't apply are zero. So just go for it and bring as much documentation with you that shows ties to Ireland and your planned itinerary for your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

tricky D wrote: »
    Unemployment shouldn't be a disqualifying item as long as you can prove you are returning which is the important bit.

Exactly. There's a lot of people who don't need jobs, I once worked for someone who listed her occupation as "rich".

Of course the Americans arent going to turn anyone away for not having a job. There's nothing wrong with not having a job.

They'll just need to be convinced you'll leave when you say you will and having a return ticket and other evidence helps with that.

I've gone over myself twice while unemployed, once having just been made redundant and the other time being between jobs with an open ticket with no return date and had zero hassle. They just checked my previous good record and said, 'good to go' without even looking at the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

tricky D, did you have to get visa or were you traveling on ESTA?
    20784, if you can show them that you have means to support yourself while traveling to US and that you have ties to Ireland - you should be ok. They want to make sure that you are not going to stay there illegally but the that's up to you to prove it to them.
    I was at the embassy yesterday getting a different type of visa, and while in the Q I was listening to them questioning other people, they were asking a lot of questions, I thought much more than exactly a year ago when I was getting B2 visa.

ESTA

• Advertisement

SweetSand wrote: »
    tricky D, did you have to get visa or were you traveling on ESTA?
    20784, if you can show them that you have means to support yourself while traveling to US and that you have ties to Ireland - you should be ok. They want to make sure that you are not going to stay there illegally but the that's up to you to prove it to them.
    I was at the embassy yesterday getting a different type of visa, and while in the Q I was listening to them questioning other people, they were asking a lot of questions, I thought much more than exactly a year ago when I was getting B2 visa.

Like what sort of questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

20784 wrote: »
    Like what sort of questions?
    This gives you a good idea of possible questions and answers http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/visitors-visa-interview-sample-questions-answers.html
    They usually only ask few and then, depending on your answers, take it from there. I think for you the most important ones are about supporting yourself financially and being able to prove to them that you have strong reasons to come back to Ireland.

SweetSand wrote: »
    This gives you a good idea of possible questions and answers http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/visitors-visa-interview-sample-questions-answers.html
    They usually only ask few and then, depending on your answers, take it from there. I think for you the most important ones are about supporting yourself financially and being able to prove to them that you have strong reasons to come back to Ireland.

Thanks. Do they ask for documents at the interview? Some said they hardly ask for documents during US visa B2 interview?

Check on https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1 if your nationality is there you can get an ESTA otherwise it's B2. Only a very few non-EEA countries on that list so likely a B2 needed for a Stamp 4.

Could this b true? ''Unemployment shouldn't be a disqualifying item''

I think i've seen applicants on here got rejected based on unemployed? I am happily married with children but on carers allowance.

I've gone through while unemployed twice with zero issues. Especially so if you have a family, kids in school and presumably a home to return to = strong ties to home/reasons not to overstay.

I've gone through while unemployed twice with zero issues. Especially so if you have a family, kids in school and presumably a home to return to = strong ties to home/reasons not to overstay.

ok, does it mean unemployed applicant must write ''unemployed'' in the question whet it says ''Present Employer''. how about writing ''carer'' there? how does that sound?

If you are Carers Allowance just put carer down.

If you are Carers Allowance just put carer down.

Ok thanks. will be going for one day family carer conference and few days to say hello to my inlaws, i hope they approve me visa :D:D

any idea question they may ask during interview for conference and tourism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Questions very much depend on the individual application, but some common questions are double checking what you put on the application (travel dates, current job/ study etc) and then questions about the trip as well as your ties to Ireland/ reasons to leave the USA at the end of your trip such as:
    - Why New York? Have you been there before?
    - What do you plan on seeing while there?
    - Why do you want to stay for X days/ weeks?
    - Why do you want to do for these dates and not in summer/ winter/ for X holiday?
    - When are you expected back at work/ when does your course start?
    - How are you financing the trip?
    - Do you have/ are you meeting any friends and family while in the USA?

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    Questions very much depend on the individual application, but some common questions are double checking what you put on the application (travel dates, current job/ study etc) and then questions about the trip as well as your ties to Ireland/ reasons to leave the USA at the end of your trip such as:
    - Why New York? Have you been there before?
    - What do you plan on seeing while there?
    - Why do you want to stay for X days/ weeks?
    - Why do you want to do for these dates and not in summer/ winter/ for X holiday?
    - When are you expected back at work/ when does your course start?
    - How are you financing the trip?
    - Do you have/ are you meeting any friends and family while in the USA?

Here is my plan as stated in my DS160 form:

Purpose of trip to US: Conference, conference is for family carers

2 days hotel booked in conference state.
    Date of arrival in US: 28th April
    Conference date in is 29th April

Will spend one day 30th April in another state different from conference state, to say hello to my inlaw, but i won't stay with them. Will also visit the museum there. So one day hotel booked for this. Will 1000e or 1500e balance in account from me & my spouse be enough proof of financial means for this trip? I will be traveling alone.

Departure from US: 31 April

Arrival flight: unknown
    Arrival city: NJ or MD, flight not confirmed.

Was refused visa before 13 years ago, but can't remember the actual date, year stated.

I have siblings in US who are US citizens and legal residents, but i won't go to them.

Marital status: I'm married, have children

I've been to UK twice 2004 & 2006, but this not in the last 5 years. Can this affect me as its very long time?

My worry is my occupation as my income is from state not direct employer?

Advertisement