Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling watch

Options
  • 19-09-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Had a spur of the moment idea to buy one of these mainly for HRM and Just because I like gadgets( who doesn't) however, the sheer amount of them and price of some is eye watering and as a leisure cyclist I don't need one that'll make my breakfast. All I need is a simple one but must be attractive have buit in HRM, will connect to apps and wearable as an everyday watch. Price wise up to 150, has anyone used these budget to middle of the road watches and what would you's recommend?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Garmin Vivosmart HR.

Will do everything you've mentioned.
    It's light, connects to your phone etc.

It also links to a Garmin 510/20,800/820, or 1000

The HR measurement is more of an "estimate" than an actual reading, but at €150... It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Garmin Vivosmart HR.

Will do everything you've mentioned.
    It's light, connects to your phone etc.

It also links to a Garmin 510/20,800/820, or 1000

The HR measurement is more of an "estimate" than an actual reading, but at €150... It's pretty good.

Wrist measured HR is pretty poor, if the point of the exercise is to reliably read your HR while out on the bike I certainly wouldn't recommend the Vivosmart HR or the Fitbit HR range which also measure the HR at the wrist.

I had a Fitbit charge HR and compared it to my Garmin Chest strap on multiple rides and the results were so far off that the Fitbit data was effectively meaningless.

Yep agree... I still use the Garmin chest strap for HR readings. But For leisure cycling ( which to me is commuting/coffee spins) it's OK. Anything else (racing / sportives) the cheststrap is the only option.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yep agree... I still use the Garmin chest strap for HR readings. But For leisure cycling ( which to me is commuting/coffee spins) it's OK. Anything else (racing / sportives) the cheststrap is the only option.

I did some testing doing intervals on the Turbo, and posted them on a boards discussion of the Fitbit HR, and this was how the Fitbit Compared with the Chest strap. The fitbit read a max of 180, but at the end of each of the main set of intervals I was at 190 per the Chest strap. It was also a bit vague with some of the early peaks.

NoGUj4zl.png

Not quite as "Scientific" as your test, but...I cycled up to Adgillian via Barnageera. My Garmin 810 with chectstrap read 164bpm, while the Vivosmart had a BPM of 80! (it did reach 150 later in the climb, which made me conclude that the vivosmart takes readings at intervals, whereas the cheststrap takes readings mush more frequently). At the end of the spin, my average heartrate reading on both was pretty similar.

• Advertisement

€150 gets you a Garmin Forerunner 15 watch with a HR Chest Strap, I am sure it can be found cheaper elsewhere as well, that's what I would aim for if I were you.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/connected-health/sports-watches/garmin-forerunner-15-activity-tracker-with-hrm.html

or the vivofit with a HR strap

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=73456

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Keep an eye out for deals on Vivoactive (either older model with chest strap or new one with built in HRM). Great device. Will do all activities (Run, Cycle, Swim). Only limitation is no Powermeter support.

Had mine for 18+ months and still impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It depends on how far you are going to be cycling.

10 hours plus and no watch under €200 will suffice re battery length.

The garmin 230/235 range is a good option.
    The 230 is the better option when paired with a chest strap. I have it and it has activity profiles for Run Outdoor, Run Indoor, Bike Outdoor and Bike Indoor (handy for turbo trainer). Plus a Custom profile which you could use for swimming or hiking etc. It is meant to give 16 hrs battery so handy for the bike.

It also a lovely watch to wear for daily use and you can lock the buttons so you don't press them during the day.

The advantage of it over a bike computer is it doesn't have to be taken on and off the bike when you stop for a coffee or whatever.

It also has bluetooth and if you have your phone on you it will show text messages and calls if paired through bluetooth. A handy feature if you are doing a workout on the bike and don't want to take an unnecessary call.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Some great advice there guys, thanks. I won't be doing 10hr cycles that's a cert. I'm only back on the bike a few months and I'm mainly focused on MTB but have been doing loads of road cycling lately for fitness. I'm currently doing about 40k so that's the kind of level I'm at. I shall go look into the watches, thanks for the advice regarding the built in HRM, I rather something do the job right and not just be a gimmick.

Advertisement