Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf road closures : Oct 10-24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,229 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus this...

Wooden Bridge and Bull Wall, Dublin 5.

KN Network Services Ltd. intends to close the following roads to facilitate installation of a new watermain on the dates and times listed below:

Wooden Bridge and Bull Wall, Clontarf, Dublin 5 from 00.00hrs on Monday 3rd October 2016 to 24.00hrs on Friday 7th October 2016.

Traffic Management Plan

Pedestrian and local access will be maintained.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/current-roadworks-temporary-road-closures

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The new section of road is far too narrow alongside St Annes Park , given its the main road out to Sutton / Howth. Its only a matter on time once its opened that a vehicle will either break down or puncture on this section and cause a resultant major tailback. There is insufficent road width space to allow for overtaking or emergency vehicles to pass.

They have turned the James Larkin Road into a cycle way and pedestrian way with a minor road attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

subpar wrote: »
    The new section of road is far too narrow alongside St Annes Park , given its the main road out to Sutton / Howth. Its only a matter on time once its opened that a vehicle will either break down or puncture on this section and cause a resultant major tailback. There is insufficent road width space to allow for overtaking or emergency vehicles to pass.

They have turned the James Larkin Road into a cycle way and pedestrian way with a minor road attached.

i'm sure with the new road surface punctures will be a rare occurence, unlike what cyclists had to deal with before cycling in the cracks and drains

so you know, a bit of give and take

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I saw a sign today for some sort of ongoing roadworks on the North Strand too, which will make that way into town extra special for the duration.

They should just replace the 130 bus with a hovercraft at this stage... beset by roadworks on all sides.

• Advertisement

The only info I could find about possible North Strand roadworks was about the Ossory Road rather than North Strand Road itself... might still have an impact of diverted traffic.

Jons Civil Engineering Co Ltd. intends to close the following road to facilitate ground investigation works on the dates and times listed below:

Ossory Road (from North Strand Road to West Road), Dublin 3.
    * Period 1: From 08.00hrs to 20.00hrs on Sunday 9th October 2016.
    * Period 2: From 08.00hrs to 20.00hrs on Sunday 16th October 2016.

Traffic Management Plan
    * Outbound traffic on North Strand Road wishing to travel on Ossory Road to West Road will be diverted via Annesley Road, Poplar Row and East Wall Road.
    * Inbound traffic on North Wall Road wishing to travel on Ossory Road to West Road will be diverted via Seville Place, Sheriff Street Upper, East Road and East Wall Road.
    * Pedestrian access will be maintained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whatever they are doing on the North Strand, they have inward traffic compressed into one lane as you approach Newcomen Bridge today - can only imagine what it will be like if that persists tomorrow morning and further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

woodseb wrote: »
    i'm sure with the new road surface punctures will be a rare occurence, unlike what cyclists had to deal with before cycling in the cracks and drains

so you know, a bit of give and take

Good point, but subpar has a point too. At the moment, a breakdown or puncture will shut the road down with no access for rescue vehicles. The kerb is really high on one side and the other side is a blocked off building site!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

Well traffic is now a nightmare going home in the evenings. Traffic basically crawls from Fairview as people who would have used the Clontarf road now have to use the Howth Road. This has had a knock on affect on Castle Avenue (Traffic backed up from Howth Road to the Clontarf Castle roundabout) and Vernon Avenue (Traffic backed up from Nolans Supermarket to Howth Road. Its a total pain . And this is going to last a month. What genius decided to close an entire road which is a major artery to Kilbarrack, Raheny, Sutton and Howth.

I assume that once the new section of road is open that bikes will only be permitted to use the new cycle way and will be barred from using the road as it has been narrowed in to facilitate the new cycle way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I assume that once the new section of road is open that bikes will only be permitted to use the new cycle way and will be barred from using the road as it has been narrowed in to facilitate the new cycle way.

There's no legislation in place to bar any bikes from roads and I'm sure many cyclists will continue to use the main road, as the walk / cycle ways are often overcrowded with dogs not on leashes / joggers etc...

As mentioned before, I'd be more concerned should a breakdown etc... occur, as it'll severely impact the traffic flow then.

What genius decided to close an entire road which is a major artery to Kilbarrack, Raheny, Sutton and Howth.

At one point last weekend, there were roadworks on the roads that DCC were diverting you onto to avoid the Clontarf Road roadworks.

This isn't the end, the stretch between Kinara and Mount Prospect Ave isn't opening until end of November.

I can assure you all intelligence is being deployed by Dublin City Council in the cause of maximising the inconvenience to anyone who dares to so much as attempt to get to Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The faster cyclists coming to and from the hill may choose to use the road to avoid slower cyclists, kids, dogs, joggers, skaters etc.. that sometimes stray on to the cycle path that is already on the Clontarf promenade. A cyclist will always end up in worse shape in a collision with a pedestrian, the city already has had one death due to a pedestrian straying on to a cycle path.

Personally, I'll using the road in my car and the cycle path on my bike.

At the moment the faster cyclists use the road and they pretty much match the speed of other traffic. It's not a problem. I've seen drivers try to make a problem of it by making dangerous overtakes only to be caught by the cyclist again and again at each red light turning it in to a stupid game of leapfrog.

I'd imagine when the new road is done cyclist that do choose to ride on the road will take the lane and it will be impossible to squeeze by. Some people will perceive this as a problem and get enraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That always seems to be the way with new cycleways- when they are installed people use them in huge numbers which is great and everything but if youre a cyclist who likes to pedal at 25kph+ then the cycleway can become immensely frustrating as you cant keep your momentum and have to keep braking and overtaking slower cyclists. So instead the faster cyclists give up on the cycleway and go back to using the main road. Motorists get annoyed as they have a perception that the cyclist is only doing it to annoy them which isnt the case at all.

I will make a prediction
    the redesigned section of road between the Bull Wall and the Causeway Road will become a traffic bottleneck and and accident blackspot.

There was no need to have this section of road so narrow given the scope to widen eastwards to the sea shore or westwards into St. Anne's Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I will make a prediction
    the redesigned section of road between the Bull Wall and the Causeway Road will become a traffic bottleneck and and accident blackspot.

There was no need to have this section of road so narrow given the scope to widen eastwards to the sea shore or westwards into St. Anne's Park

Would have required an eis to do it properly, so instead the motorists get screwed over. Road is dangerously narrow now.

I will make a prediction

how much of the park do you suggest they should have got rid of? that's a ridiculous suggestion - its a 500m stretch between a public park and a nature reserve, there's no reason to believe it would become a accident blackspot on a straight piece of road with a 60k speed limit

how much of the park do you suggest they should have got rid of? that's a ridiculous suggestion - its a 500m stretch between a public park and a nature reserve, there's no reason to believe it would become a accident blackspot on a straight piece of road with a 60k speed limit

It currently does not have a 60kph speed limit it is 40kph. its the narrowness of the road and the high levels of traffic flow in both directions and not the speed which is going to cause the problem.

It currently does not have a 60kph speed limit it is 40kph. its the narrowness of the road and the high levels of traffic flow in both directions and not the speed which is going to cause the problem.

Currently 40kph due to roadworks I assume, but will it be going back up to 60kph once complete?

A delivery vehicle and a coach bus trying to pass in opposite directions will only have centimetres clearance in the centre of the road and what happens to traffic flow when a vehicle breaks down or gets a puncture.

• Advertisement

i think most drivers will be able to manage the 40 or so seconds on that stretch of road without it turning into a demolition derby:rolleyes:

A delivery vehicle and a coach bus trying to pass in opposite directions will only have centimetres clearance in the centre of the road and what happens to traffic flow when a vehicle breaks down or gets a puncture.

'centimetres' ......

a double decker bus is about 2.5 metres wide, the road is 6m at its narrowest - so that's 100 cm at most if both pass each other at the exact same time (not to mention that is not a bus route)

what you've described is the situation for alot of our city centre streets and in the country often when the road isn't straight and people just get on with it if there is a break down - its not the end of the world

- the road will be narrow and the plans actually state that it will be narrow at certain points for 'traffic calming which is pefectly reasonable considering only a kerb will separate the traffic from cyclists and pedestrians

there will also be parallel parking spots for about half of that stretch which will give additional space for passing if there was a blockage

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/Documents/1003.pdf

I think i read when reopened after all works complete it will be 50 kmh limit.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think i read when reopened after all works complete it will be 50 kmh limit.

592065.jpg?b64lines=IFN1cmUsIHRoYXQgd2lsbCBzYXZlIAphIGZldyBsaXZlcyAKYnV0IG1pbGxpb25zICB3aWxsIGJlIGxhdGUuIA==

In the vein of, we were promised jetpacks... we were promised hovercraft. I saw them on Doctor Who, I played with them as a kid...

And short of a hovercraft, I don't see any potential for significant improvements on the Clontarf road in terms of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

How long is this road closed for?

It's great craic getting home at the moment.

A while yet to go :(

Clontarf Road (from Mount Prospect Avenue to Kincora Road), D. 3 from 00.00hrs on Monday 24th October 2016 to 24.00hrs on Sunday 27th November 2016.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A while yet to go :(

Clontarf Road (from Mount Prospect Avenue to Kincora Road), D. 3 from 00.00hrs on Monday 24th October 2016 to 24.00hrs on Sunday 27th November 2016.

is the junction at mount prospect to james larkin road open though?

is the junction at mount prospect to james larkin road open though?

yep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

How accessible is the yacht?

Advertisement