Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is Mourinho a busted flush?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Far too early for this type of nonsense. United have one of the best squads in the league and we're only halfway through September for God's sake! I still think United will win the league this season and if they don't they'll be significantly stronger in 2017/18. It's very wishful thinking on rival fan's part to think he's a spent force and I would be completely surprised if the likes of Klopp, Wenger, Conte, Pep etc were thinking it

Tabloid thinking at its finest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hard to tell, its been a seriously bad 12 months for Jose though and after losing his dream job he doesnt look happy but I wouldnt be writing him off just yet.

He never got his dream job and as result has had a grudge against Barça and Pep ever since.

As an aside, Stephen Kenny is lucky Dundalk got that late equaliser on Thursday night....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

no but pogba is seriously looking like a busted flop...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

pudzey101 wrote: »
    no but pogba is seriously looking like a busted flop...

sell Pogba, sack Jose...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

The problem with Mourinho is that players think he's a cnut. Long gone are the days where guys like JT, Lamps and Drogs would run through walls for him. His time at Madrid was very damaging to his reputation and the incident with the Chelsea doctor likewise. Never seen such a dramatic case of a manager losing the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It's only 5 games in, but there's a few worrying signs for United fans - namely the blaming of the players in the press.

Your point is based on something that isn't actually true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Your point is based on something that isn't actually true.

He hasn't had a go at Luke Shaw for not pressing in both the City and Watford games, then?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-manager-jose-mourinho-8870058

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He's so special now he could have qualify for the Olympics .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems to throw his players under the bus in public far more these days than he used to do during his first spell in English football. Which I can only imagine contributed to the Chelsea players basically downing tools and not playing for him last season. He's still new at United so depends how long the players there go from thinking they would run through a wall for him to actually wanting to put his head through the same wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

crkball6 wrote: »
    He's gone from the first united manager to win first 4 competitive matches.

To he should be fired and out the door. :D

comedy show.

Some going there to win 4 of 6 games with 3 losses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He hasn't had a go at Luke Shaw for not pressing in both the City and Watford games, then?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-manager-jose-mourinho-8870058

The article takes one line and ignores the rest of what he was saying. In the full quote, he says that it's a tactical and mental issue, but that it's his job to get them over those issues; thats it's his job to make sure those defensive mistakes are cut down on. It's not so much "having a go at Luke Shaw" as it is him pointing to an example of what he, as a manager, has to fix going forward.

The full quote should be...

"And here for the second goal, [Nordin] Amrabat receives the ball and our left-back is 25 metres from him instead of five metres. But even at 25 metres, you have to jump and go and press, but no, we wait. This is a tactical but also a mental attitude. It's something that doesn't become perfect in a couple of weeks.
    "I can split these defeats into three factors -- one, the referee's crucial mistakes are not in my control, there is nothing I can do about that.
    "But against Man City you know what happened in minute 55 [City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo's challenge on Wayne Rooney]. You know that happened for the fist goal here and against Feyenoord there was the offside goal.
    "Secondly there is [being] lucky and unlucky. It's part of the game.
    "The third thing is what is my hands, which is the improvement of the team and the individuals. Try to stop with the defensive mistakes. I knew that I had a task.
    "So we have to improve, no doubt, individually and collectively. And that's my job. Lady luck you don't control and referees mistakes you don't control."

3, 4, 5 or 6 pts dropped from the next couple of PL fixtures would put him on a very bad run and he'd have to get a few decent results quickly but that applies to most of the PL managers.

Being realistic it could take pogba another 6/8 games to get into the swing of things, that's not overly surprising.

The issue mourinho might have is that he was seen by many as more or less guaranteed to bring decent results and the accompanying league position more or less immediately.... if that doesn't look to be happening by Christmas and the ppg is no better than LVG or Moyes's over the same period & things look not good the media will have a circus every day.... that'll make things harder. Which is largely his own doing.

If he gets going before there's a tide to turn he'll be fine but if not and the tide proves stubborn to manoeuvre he's quite likely be out the door.

I reckon Ibrahimovich practically alone can do enough to keep / get things ticking over.

Realistically any improvement on last season PL finish wise should be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No, he hasn't, and I would suggest you don't base your opinions on Daily Mirror headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

year one : build the bus
    year two : park the bus
    year three : throw everybody off the bus

3 year term is all he's good for , look at his stats from club to club

No, he hasn't, and I would suggest you don't base your opinions on Daily Mirror headlines.

You can dress it up whatever way you like,but once you start mentioning players specifically in the press (especially when you're not winning games) it will take off and create headlines, which is the last thing he needs. And just to point out to you, if you use the wonder that is Google, you'll see that I'm in fact right - lots of major news agencies are now reporting on this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-shocked-jose-mourinho-treatment-luke-shaw-groin-injury-scan-watford-a7316621.html

http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2954104/jose-mourinho-questions-manchester-united-left-back-luke-shaw-at-watford

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664508-jose-mourinho-comments-on-luke-shaw-after-manchester-uniteds-loss-to-watford

This creates negativity and bad headlines, which is exactly how he started failing at Chelsea. I personally couldn't care less, but you can interpret this whatever way you like - your way, or my way. Either way, he's getting negative headlines for calling out his players in the press that he can ill afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You get your news from the mirror and the sun ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jaykay74 wrote: »

He did say it in his press conference though...they played the audio from it on today's Second Captains, and i'm sure the video is widely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Some going there to win 4 of 6 games with 3 losses

He's including the community shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

it's throw everybody under the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Much and all as I am enjoying Uniteds recent results and Joses bafflement at what is going on, I think it's way too early to make a call on him being a busted flush.

If he can get a good result or two, I can see the mood changing easily both with the players and supporters but he has to start making his mark on this team quite quickly now before he loses both players and fans. I don't watch United much (thankfully:pac:) but he has a lot of players to drop to get the team performing and not just Rooney.

Saying that, though, I will quite happily dance if he is fired from United. I simply cannot abide the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thread is ridiculous considering he only won a league title 2 years ago, something Klopp, Wenger, Pochettino and the like can only dream of.

He's not at the level he was before Madrid, his aura was damaged by the dressing room there. They didn't care if he was the most successful manager at the time bar Fergie. A poor career choice from him although not many turn down Madrid.

As a United fan I hope he is just off form and can regain it eventually, it is a big job though sorting out United.

jaykay74 wrote: »

If what the Mirror is reporting is true, then sure. The S*n is toilet paper, so I'll overlook the fact that you mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If what the Mirror is reporting is true, then sure. The S*n is toilet paper, so I'll overlook the fact that you mentioned it.
    That's harsh on toilet paper, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He's so special now he could have qualify for the Olympics .

Stay classy anyway lad.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes he is a busted flush, sure Bobby Charlton could be heard singing 'I knew you were trouble when you walked in' as he watched the Watford game.

Rooney is playing badly to get Mourinho sacked, as Trevor Sinclaor and Danny Murphy were discussing on Match of the Day, Rooney is a defensive midfielder...or a number 4...

Martial is missing Van Gaal and is refusing to score.

Phil Jones has declared himself permanently injured so he won't have to play for Jose.

Anyway it is Mata's fault, he has turned the team against Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hope so, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I don't think he's been the same since he went to Madird. I kmow he won the league with Chelsea since, but the challengers were abysmal that year. I think Madrid was too big of a club for to walk in and bring his philosophy with him. They didn't see him as a saviour or special one just another one of many that will come and go at Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He did say it in his press conference though...they played the audio from it on today's Second Captains, and i'm sure the video is widely available.

It was hardly having a go, they said as much in SC. He (rightly or wrongly) is saying that it's a leftover reaction from the LVG era that he is working on alleviating.

It doesn't really make sense to me considering he has never been a manager that uses a press but there have been a lot of decisions already in terms of tactics that haven't been very past Mourinho so I'll hold off on totally judging it as him talking shíte which is my suspicion at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yes because all other successful managers stay for 10 plus years at clubs isn't it?

Check the lifespan of Chelsea, Madrid, Inter managers before and after Jose, don't think anyone even spent 3 years at those clubs.

Some of the points here *facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What's a busted flush?

Is it a plumbing problem?

He can't get rid of the ****e or something?

Strange expression.

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    What's a busted flush?

Is it a plumbing problem?

He can't get rid of the ****e or something?

Strange expression.

(in poker) a hand containing four cards of the same suit and one of a different suit.
    informal
    a promising person or thing that turns out to be unsuccessful.
    "her leadership is already a busted flush"

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yes because all other successful managers stay for 10 plus years at clubs isn't it?

Check the lifespan of Chelsea, Madrid, Inter managers before and after Jose, don't think anyone even spent 3 years at those clubs.

Some of the points here *facepalm*

what a knob

go back asleep

what a knob

go back asleep

So how many years did other managers last at the mentioned clubs?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    So how many years did other managers last at the mentioned clubs?

zzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zzzzzzzz

Your debating skills are exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Not even Van Gaal lost 3 games in a week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mourinho was sacked from Chelsea in 2007 after going 3 games without a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Next he'll start to abuse players publically, then he'll lose the dressingroom, then .....

Lol at the Arsenal fans :pac:
    If Mourinho is a busted flush, what the actual f*ck is Wenger???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Lol at the Arsenal fans :pac:
    If Mourinho is a busted flush, what the actual f*ck is Wenger???

Wenger is three things Mourinho is not:-

1. He is not someone who thought KDB wasn't worth holding onto but Pogba was worth spunking £89m on.

2. Wenger is not someone who has lost 3 games in a row and 14 of his last 32 games as a manager.

3. Wenger doesn't publicly throw his players and staff under the bus when things aren't going his way.

Apart from that they are very similar indeed :rolleyes:

Who's Wegner? Is that the guy that was on the X Factor?

Wegner is three things Mourinho is not:-

1. He is not someone who thought KDB wasn't worth holding onto but Pogba was worth spunking £89m on.

2. Wegner is not someone who has lost 3 games in a row and 14 of his last 32 games as a manager.

3. Wegner doesn't publicly throw his players and staff under the bus when things aren't going his way.

Meh Klopp lost 11 out of 19 league games at Dortmund and 14 games in 34 league games.

Lost 5 league games in a row anf 6 out of 7 games with drawing 1 game.

Wenger also lost 3 league games in a row and also 4 in first 7 games.

Korat wrote: »
    What's a busted flush?

Strange expression.

It was used in Love Hate :)
    Elmo was a "busted flush" as they suspected he was a rat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mourinho is a one trick pony, spunk 300m build in 1st season, win trophy in 2nd, fall out with someone and leave in 3rd. It's his MO!!!!

2. Wenger is not someone who has lost 3 games in a row and 14 of his last 32 games as a manager.

3. Wenger doesn't publicly throw his players and staff under the bus when things aren't going his way.

He's won 6 league titles since Wenger last won one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

He's won 6 league titles since Wenger last won one

And past performance is always a better guide to the future than current performance, keep hanging onto that hope there. It seems to be justifying why Rooney is still a nailed on starter, sure hasn't he won a load of medals therefore he's worth his place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

He's not someone wanted by his own fans.

r61566_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That part is wrong anyway for a start. KDB wanted out.

Didn't Saint Arsene blame the 600 staff working for Arsenal on something just a short while ago?

Oh and here he is "throwing players under the bus"

http://www.scoopnest.com/user/TeleFootball/702426518446714880

And past performance is always a better guide to the future than current performance, keep hanging onto that hope there. It seems to be justifying why Rooney is still a nailed on starter, sure hasn't he won a load of medals therefore he's worth his place ;)

What defines current performance?

What arbitrary time in the past counts as current in your book?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement