Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased laptop online (Harvey Norman) ...order cancelled

Options
  • 19-09-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭

Purchased yesterday online from the HN website. Price advertised was €379.99. I added it to my cart and payed via PayPal. Receipt for laptop emailed to me via HN and also have PayPal receipt. This morning I get a very fob offish mail from HN saying laptop was priced wrong, here's your money back, goodbye.

Laptop worth much more than what I paid.
    Do I have any leg to stand on here?

Edit I have screen capped everything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nope, until they ship they can cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Where the contract is cancelled, the seller has to refund you any money that you have paid for the item without undue delay.

from http://www.consumerhelp.ie/online-returns

thats the only stipulation that would apply here. if they have already refunded you, it would appear they have met their obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Sick... Thought I got a €379 macbook pro...

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Oh well.

Haha bit of a misleading thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

guil wrote: »
    Haha bit of a misleading thread title.

Same principal applies whether the laptop is €400 or €1400 no? It's the price the laptop I bought was advertised at, the price I paid and the price that's on my receipt from HN.

Screen caps.

Screenshot_20160919-033132_zps4aybh0tw.png

Screenshot_20160919-034226_zpsst1fxodg.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭cml387

I can see the dread words "Invitation to treat" marching towards this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Same principal applies whether the laptop is €400 or €1400 no? It's the price the laptop I bought was advertised at, the price I paid and the price that's on my receipt from HN.

Screen caps.

<SNIP> Please do not quote images

The point I was making is you are clearly aware that is was mispriced. Also saying in the thread title that you bought a laptop for €379 is easily believable. If you said MacBook for €379 then it would have been pointed out that it was definitely mispriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Price is an invitation to threat. Seller can refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oh well.

Well, that was never going to happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

cml387 wrote: »
    I can see the dread words "Invitation to treat" marching towards this thread.

Perhaps but where the OP has paid that no longer applies. Whether the T&Cs of nothing is final until we ship it is valid is up for debate, as are the remedies/defences under mistake.

However one should note that the invitation to treat only goes so far.

For more information start a thread in Legal Discussions, my shenanigans here are, understandably, unwelcome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the Harvey Norman online sales terms:
    7. You will receive an email from Harvey Norman as soon as practicable after you have confirmed your Order and made payment. If you have any questions regarding your Order you may contact the Customer First Team. Please note this email does not constitute acceptance of your Order by us but merely confirms our receipt of your Order.

8. If your Order is not accepted by Harvey Norman, Harvey Norman will notify you by telephone or email and arrange for a full refund of any payment made by you to be processed.

9. Harvey Norman may, in its sole and absolute discretion, accept or reject any offer made by you for any reason (or no reason), including an error in the advertised price for, or description of, goods or services on the website, or an error of any kind in or relating to your Order

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To quote the classic piece of contract law, there has to be offer and acceptance (in addition to consideration and some other factors). You offer, and Harvey Norman did not accept.

Advertisement