Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice to give to employer

Options
  • 19-09-2016 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I have been offered a new job. I need to give my notice tomorrow morning. I have no contract and I am working 5 mornings a week. I started on a five day week full time. I am there two years and 2 month. Is my notice one week or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

2 weeks I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

No contract -> One week.

If they have been a good employer then give them a week, maybe 2, if not and you don't intend on using them as a reference then walk at the week end of the if it suits you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/changing_job/giving_notice.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leedsfan123

It usually depends on the company, but a rule of thumb I've always used is one week for every year you have worked making it two weeks.

to get an indication of how well they treated you, why not give them as much notice as you feel they'd give you. If you work for ben dunne say, walk the same day!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

nope not a good employer at all. Being honest the bullying I can't cope with. There are only two of us in the company. I was put on three day week last jan, then it didnt suit now its five morns. I couldn't make any plans for the other two days as they suited themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

If you have worked for them for more than 13 weeks (which you have) then you have to give a minimum of 1 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It usually depends on the company, but a rule of thumb I've always used is one week for every year you have worked making it two weeks.

unless stipulated in a contract, its one week notice, but that only applies after 13 weeks of working . There is no further requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Redsquigy wrote: »
    I have been offered a new job. I need to give my notice tomorrow morning. I have no contract and I am working 5 mornings a week. I started on a five day week full time. I am there two years and 2 month. Is my notice one week or two?

2 weeks

however every company is negotiable for stuff like this, ask the new place when they want you to start and explain you have to give 2 weeks notice it shows you are respectful to your old employer.

to the posters saying no contract no notice this is incorrect, you are working under an implied contract you have been taking a wage and working for 2 years so there is a mutual understanding of employment.

2 weeks

however every company is negotiable for stuff like this, ask the new place when they want you to start and explain you have to give 2 weeks notice it shows you are respectful to your old employer.

to the posters saying no contract no notice this is incorrect, you are working under an implied contract you have been taking a wage and working for 2 years so there is a mutual understanding of employment.

The Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Acts 1973–2005. determines the minimum period unless stated other wise in a contract of employment ( which cannot be implied, it must be a written document and must contain a section concerning notice ) AN employer is actually required to furnish such a document within on month of starting employment and is breaking the law if that is not done

the relevant passage is as follows

"An employer shall, subject to the right of an employee to give counter-notice under section 10 of the Act of 1967 or to give notice of intention to claim redundancy payment in respect of lay-off or short-time under section 12 of that Act, be entitled to not less than one week's notice from an employee who has been in his continuous employment for thirteen weeks or more of that employee's intention to terminate his contract of employment."

The employer must give you notice that is two weeks if you are there 2 year or more ( its a sliding scale upto 8 weeks ) , however you are only ever required unless governed by an agreed contract , to give 1 week

BoatMad wrote: »

"An employer shall, subject to the right of an employee to give counter-notice under section 10 of the Act of 1967 or to give notice of intention to claim redundancy payment in respect of lay-off or short-time under section 12 of that Act, be entitled to not less than one week's notice from an employee who has been in his continuous employment for thirteen weeks or more of that employee's intention to terminate his contract of employment."

i love when people quote things they dont understand not less than one week's notice

not less mate.

• Advertisement

just to be clear, The law provides for the fact that you can be " implied " to be an employee, in other words, say you were never actually formally hired but were being paid every week to do a task. ( this is partially what the au pair issue fell foul of )

That does not mean that there is any particular " implied " contract of employment . There is in fact a legal onus on the employer too furnish the employee ( implied or formally hired ) to be furnished with a contract setting out various entitlements and obligations ( including notice ) within one month of starting employment ( implied or other wise )

i love when people quote things they dont understand not less than one week's notice

not less mate.

1 week is not less then 1 week

thats what I said , 1 weeks notice and its whats the citizens information advice website say, in plain english as you seem to have trouble understanding the english in the law.

( and I was an employer for 35 years to boot )

Thanks for the replies - gave in my notice of one week. Will be glad to be rid to be quite honest. Onwards and upwards now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Redsquigy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - gave in my notice of one week. Will be glad to be rid to be quite honest. Onwards and upwards now!!!

Best of luck for the future.

Best of luck for the future.

thanks PaddyWilliams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just a general query, what are the repercussions of not giving notice? I know it is a more gentlemanly/lady-like way of doing things but employers are still required to give you your P45, they are required to give a reference to at least confirm you worked there and I assume they have to pay your accrued holiday pay.

(I say this as a person who is always within an hour of just walking out on my job)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just a general query, what are the repercussions of not giving notice? I know it is a more gentlemanly/lady-like way of doing things but employers are still required to give you your P45, they are required to give a reference to at least confirm you worked there and I assume they have to pay your accrued holiday pay.

(I say this as a person who is always within an hour of just walking out on my job)

Employers are not obliged to give a reference, oral or otherwise. They must give you your P45 and any outstanding remuneration owed to you. If you don't give the contractual/statutory notice when leaving a job, the employer may take it further, but it's very unlikely as it wouldn't be worth the legal fees (unless perhaps you're a CEO or something). It could be the difference between getting a reference and not getting one, so it depends how important that is to you.

It's unprofessional, Ireland is a small country and industry is even smaller, people talk.
    Breach of contract like the poster above said but it's never really followed up on.
    No reference or a reference that says yeah they worked here from date to date but sorry I can't give one they didn't work their notice and left us in the **** can do enough damage to a job seeker.

Advertisement