Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Car Stuff - Monday 26th September

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Axle stands - got them 3 years ago - use them a lot - happy with them.

Car interior windscreen cleaner - looks like a must have. That was a thing I badly needed but never thought it exists - definitely going to get one.

I wonder what is "frost protector"? :D

Neighbour got an alluminium roof racks and he's happy with them.

Some of the W5 cleaning stuff are OK.

I wouldn't really get anything else myself, especially trolley jack or battery charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

CiniO wrote: »

I wonder what is "frost protector"? :D

Usually it's windscreen washer fluid that comes in that packaging.

Dilute 1:1 in winter; 3:1 in summer and one canister keeps your windscreen washer filled for more than a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The trolley jacks are good quality, good to keep in the boot instead of the widow makers most manufacturers supply. The Air compressor is also a great bit of kit to keep in the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Jack is decent but if your serious about the diying get your self a 3 tonne - Got a Sealey Yankee from tfortools for €120 delivered a few years ago. To be fair I used the €25 jobbie for years before I got that for servicing and still have it , but apples and oranges between it- even used it to shift the roots off a tree

Have the axle stands - I know they are TUV approved blah blah but they dont inspire confidence in comparison to the halfords fixed ones, suppose thats the limitations of the folding ones, dont get me wrong I used them dozens of times but imo theres better out there for little more price wise, would still be handy for proping up stuff,etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Those Jacks are great. I bought one a few years ago, have used it more than your average motorist would and have never had a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

That W5 glass cleaner absolutely stinks of ammonia (or maybe it's acetic acid). Didn't read the instructions, but I used it once and chucked it out. I'd rather put diff oil on the windscreen than that stuff. Did a right job of cleaning the glass though

I'm waiting for a company to come up with a design for axle stands that doesn't catch the webbing in the thumb and index finger when you lower them down, both the lidl folding ones, and the traditional ratchet ones have done it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

I got the roof bars years ago - absolutely spot on for the price. Easy to take on and off, only thing is they're not the quietest but for the price and random use its a no brainer to have them in the shed when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

traco wrote: »
    I got the roof bars years ago - absolutely spot on for the price. Easy to take on and off, only thing is they're not the quietest but for the price and random use its a no brainer to have them in the shed when needed.
    put some tape over the plastic strip on the top, that seems to be the source of most of the noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

tphase wrote: »
    put some tape over the plastic strip on the top, that seems to be the source of most of the noise

I heard of somebody else who stuffed foam in there. Tape sounds like a better option. Wish they had a set to suit "closed" rails as well as "open"

Have had one of the trolley jacks for years. Mine is starting to creep down a small bit now or not hold small elevations. Probably will buy another, bang for buck wise I couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

I heard of somebody else who stuffed foam in there. Tape sounds like a better option. Wish they had a set to suit "closed" rails as well as "open"

there's a ridged plastic strip on the top of the bars - that's what causes the noise, not the open gap on the bottom. I taped the gap on the bottom, made little or no difference that I could hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

CiniO wrote: »
    Car interior windscreen cleaner - looks like a must have. That was a thing I badly needed but never thought it exists - definitely going to get one.

Herself had one of these. Not terribly useful or usable. Disappointingly so. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bought a Lidl trolley jack about 3 years ago and it's still going fine. Doesn't get a whole lot of use but has done exactly what it says on the tin when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The synthetic oil @ €5 per litre is good

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=45486

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

AnCatDubh wrote:
    Herself had one of these. Not terribly useful or usable. Disappointingly so. Sorry.

Have to agree didn't find it much use

Esel wrote:
    The synthetic oil @ €5 per litre is good

That link doesn't work for me is the oil 5w 30 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That link doesn't work for me is the oil 5w 30 ?

It's 5W-40

(Link works OK for me?)

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote:
    It's 5W-40

Esel wrote:
    (Link works OK for me?)

Thanks must be my phone so

Advertisement