Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyors

Options
  • 19-09-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi,

Most surveyors for pre buying a house don't inspect pipes, I think they don't make holes in walls to analyse it's state and I'm afraid they don't do other things. What type of engineer or profession is required to do a complete inspection?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Would you let a potiential buyer or buyer repesentive, come in to your house that you are trying to sell and knock holes in walls and floors to inspect the standard of constriction?

Separately, a person who inspects pipes is called a plumber.

I work in construction, and didn't need to get a 'visual inspection' before I purchased, but I did get a senior structural engineer in to walk the house and look into the attic just as a second pair of eyes. Someone who knows the area/type of property and knows what their looking for, is all you can really hope for, after that it's a leap of fate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tendjose wrote: »
    Hi,

Most surveyors for pre buying a house don't inspect pipes, I think they don't make holes in walls to analyse it's state and I'm afraid they don't do other things. What type of engineer or profession is required to do a complete inspection?

Thanks

You are not allowed to do these things until the property is yours.
    A surveyor or engineer or anyone else will only carry out a visual inspection as no opening up works are allowed.

Who will pay to repair the holes if you don't buy the house? Would you be happy to pay for the repairs of the holes were created and then you backed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

BryanF wrote: »
    Would you let a potiential buyer or buyer repesentive, come in to your house that you are trying to sell and knock holes in walls and floors to inspect the standard of constriction?

Separately, a person who inspects pipes is called a plumber.

I work in construction, and didn't need to get a 'visual inspection' before I purchased, but I did get a senior structural engineer in to walk the house and look into the attic just as a second pair of eyes. Someone who knows the area/type of property and knows what their looking for, is all you can really hope for, after that it's a leap of fate.

But is always better to look at the pipes to search for leaks. I'm not seeing hiring a surveyor and then a separate plumber like you suggest.

Maybe I should hire a surveyor and some kind of enginneer separately (which the kind of enginneer I'm trying to figure out)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

But is always better to look at the pipes to search for leaks. I'm not seeing hiring a surveyor and then a separate plumber like you suggest.

Maybe I should hire a surveyor and some kind of enginneer separately (which the kind of enginneer I'm trying to figure out)?

Thanks

Re the pipes, thats not possible. A competent insured structural engineer will give you guidance on the general house condition. They will note on the type of piping that can be seen e.g. whether it is gun barrel, lead, copper etc. Similarly will have a look at the boiler.

After you purchase get a plumber in to lift floor boards and have a looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thanks

A surveyor will look for evidence of leaks such as staining on ceilings and will usually check walls for dampness using a moisture meter, but again these are non-invasive inspections which doesn't result in opening of walls or floors.

As the others have said, no surveyor or engineer will start making holes in walls or ceilings for a pre-purchase survey. Surveys simply aren't done like that.

https://www.scsi.ie/documents/get_lob?id=6&field=file

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nobody can check the pipes for leaks.
    All surveys will look for visual evidence of leaks and mention same in report.

Thanks

No Engineer will do this until you own the house and you give permission for floors to be removed and opening up works take place.

If youre afraid that you have leaks, check your water meter over a period when water is not supposed to be used in the house.

Advertisement