Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting from a close relative possible issues

Options
  • 19-09-2016 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

It has come up in conversion between myself and my brother about possibly renting his first house off him. The issue is he currently has a couple living their who have approached him about doing the place up so are quite happy to continue living there.

They have been very good tenants to him and understandably doesn't want to upset the current arrangements it me moving in isn't possible.

I was wondering if anyone here might know where we stand when it comes to renting the house to me. I understand the renter has some legal rights and cant just be turfed out but that's about as much as I know!

Since I am a close relative to the owner of the house does that make any difference?
    They have been there for over 4 years.
    any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

bart0nfink wrote: »
    Hello,

It has come up in conversion between myself and my brother about possibly renting his first house off him. The issue is he currently has a couple living their who have approached him about doing the place up so are quite happy to continue living there.

They have been very good tenants to him and understandably doesn't want to upset the current arrangements it me moving in isn't possible.

I was wondering if anyone here might know where we stand when it comes to renting the house to me. I understand the renter has some legal rights and cant just be turfed out but that's about as much as I know!

Since I am a close relative to the owner of the house does that make any difference?
    They have been there for over 4 years.
    any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    What exactly is your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bart0nfink

My question is do we have to consider anything else apart from giving the current tenants the required notice period required by law if a relative is replacing them.

Notice periods

The length of notice depends on the length of the tenancy.
    Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to a year 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more 16 weeks (112 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

As someone who rents from family - don't do it.

The only difference renting from a family member is, should you ever find yourself in need of rent allowance ,I believe its very difficult to be given it if your landlord is family

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

bart0nfink wrote: »
    My question is do we have to consider anything else apart from giving the current tenants the required notice period required by law if a relative is replacing them.

Notice periods

The length of notice depends on the length of the tenancy.
    Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to a year 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 - 5 years 16 weeks (112 days)
    5-6 years 20 weeks 140 days
    6-7 years 24 weeks 168 days
    7-8 years 28 weeks 196 days
    8 years or more 32 weeks 224 days

Fixed it for you.